Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just obtained an MDC cruise control, but it has no instructions - anyone out there have the installation instructions they would be willing to share with me?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Where did you get it from that it has no instructions? The first thing I would do it contact the vendor you bought it from. They probably have a website with the manual on it.

Be aware that there are at least 2 models of the MDC module in the US. While the instructions are the same for both, you do not want to use the wrong module. There is one module for the Cabrio, and one for all the other 451 models.

If you got this off the internet (eg Ebay), there's also the possibility it's for the 450 or a non-US model like the roadster or and older smart. MDC has been making modules for the entire smart line for years.

If you do have the proper 451 controller for your car, SmartMaddness has instructions on their website in PDF format for the install that are pretty good. I don't have the link off the top of my head, but I'm sure if you check out their site it should be pretty easy to find.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Woody, luckily for me it's the right unit. I have tried Smart madness but no luck so far.

Anyone with the link?

·
Vendor
3,620 Posts
Glad you found it.

The directions are on our site under the Cruise Control listings. Open the description (listing) and scroll down. You will see a box that says download instruction manual. Click on that and it will take you to the manual.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call us directly at 562-961-6800.

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just put the Crusie control in last week. The only issue I had was not knowing the transmission had to reset it self. When you turn on the vehicle after the C-C is installed, wait to try to start. In about 10 seconds, you will hear it shifting thru the gears. After it stops then all should be fine. I LOVE my C-C from Smart Madness!!!!!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The only issue I had was not knowing the transmission had to reset it self.
That actually has nothing to do with the CC, but with the fact that you disconnected the battery before the car finished shutting down. When you power down the car it takes a while to finish it's shutdown procedure. It's done when you hear a relay click behind the console, about 30 seconds after the car is "off". If you disconnect the battery before that, or while the car is in anything but "Park", the system gets confused and sometimes has to re-train itself.

So, the easy way to avoid this? Always put the car in park and wait a minute after shutting the car off to disconnect the battery. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts