Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a new member and a passionate Smart aficionado. My 2009 Passion has 53,000 miles on it now and it is still going strong. The only thing that bugs me is the high repair cost from my Smart (or Mercedes) dealership for things outside of the services, which I get done there.
Can anybody recommend a shop in the Boston area where I can get my rear reluctor rings replaced without having to buy the complete shaft for each side? In case you had it done too, how much labor were you charged?

Thanks for any answer,
Walter

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Brabus007!
However, I don't have the tools to do the repair myself and am looking for a shop to do exactly what your link describes. Any idea how to find such a shop? The shop where I usually go to doesn't want to do this type of thing.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thank you Brabus007!
However, I don't have the tools to do the repair myself and am looking for a shop to do exactly what your link describes. Any idea how to find such a shop? The shop where I usually go to doesn't want to do this type of thing.
I recommend you check with Jose at the Foreign Auto Clinic. You can reach him at [email protected] or (866) 550-9153. I discovered him on Angie's List and he is great. I hope he can help you. BTW he is located in Brighton, on Commonwealth Avenue near Boston College.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much for the recommendation. I stopped by and they gave me a very reasonable quote. I'll have Smartie repaired there.

Thanks again!
Walter

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The repair is done. Not only did they replace the reluctor rings on both rear axles, they also custom made a flex pipe connecting to the muffler which was broken. The total for this was $528. The quote from the Smart Center was close to $2,000.
The guys at The Foreign Auto Clinic in Brighton (2022 Comm Ave) were really great, responsive and nice. I can only recommend them.
By the way, I have 2 spare reluctor rings left as I had ordered 4 of them (just in case). Please let me know in case you want them.

Regards,
Walter

·
Administrator
29,522 Posts
This is in the New Members area but I think belongs in the Operations and Maintenance forum as a sticky, if that's OK with you, Walter. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's absolutely ok with me. Are you creating the sticky? You seem to be much more familiar with this portal than I am.
Thank you,
Walter

·
Registered
371 Posts
Joining this club in DC

I think I'm joining the bad reluctor ring club. 2009 with 56K miles. Yesterday, on the highway, my passion started cutting out. Dash lights flashing like crazy. I would switch the key off/on to get a couple more seconds of runtime.

I crawled home and searched SCOA :) to find the likely cause. I'm pulling a wheel today.

Has anyone been able to buy replacement rings locally? I can't wait for shipping from CA or the UK, and I sure don't want to buy two complete axels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi,

I still have 2 spare reluctor rings left. I had ordered 4 of them for my repair, just in case something wouldn't work out right away. Please contact me at 781-929-5366 in case you would like to have them.

Regards,
Walter

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had them replaced at the Foreign Auto Clinic located in Brighton MA, on Commonwealth Avenue near Boston College. They charged between $250 and $300 for the repair. You can look them up online or else I can pull out their address and phone number for you too, very nice guys.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts