Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife just called me from her 2011 Passion. She said the stability control light is on for no apparent reason. Said she pulled off, shut down, and restarted, but it's still on. Car seems to be operating normally, otherwise.

Any thoughts or ideas?

·
Super Moderator
28,244 Posts
Would help if you had the OBD code to go by. If the light is still on the first guess would be a bad reluctor ring - but in Atlanta it's unlikely those would have rusted out this soon. Could be brake related but then you should see a brake warning light... :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...

I called my local Smart Mtc rep at Mercedes of Buckhead (Atlanta). They are really good. He said that it could have been anything from her dragging a wheel off the road to hitting an oily spot on a turn to a bad sensor. Basically, everything I would have suspected. I thought there may have been a golden BB in there that I didn't think of. It's doubtful that my wife would have noticed an OBD code. Personally, I've never seen one so I don't where they display nor for how long.

She did call back and say that it was out, now. Also mentioned that it drug a bit to the right on the highway. I'll pull the wheel and check the caliper to make sure it's clean and not dragging.

At this point all we can do is sit back and see if it comes back on. If it does, that's what extended warranties are for!

thanks again for the reply...

·
Super Moderator
28,244 Posts
The codes don't display in the car. An auto parts place can read them for you and if you have a Scan Gauge or UltraGauge they will read them as well. :)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
If the issue is in the ESP unit, only certain diagnostic equipment can read those codes. M-B and independent mechanics that work on Europen cars will be your only choice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts