Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a used front wheel and tire for a 2009 passion. Taking a trip and will just place in the back of car.

Thanks

·
Registered
746 Posts
I carry a scissor jack salvaged from my 2004 Ford Focus. Worked fine changing the wheel when a TPMS broke on the highway. JAck is stored under the passenger's seat. How heavy? Maybe 4 lbs.

·
Registered
347 Posts
If your car is like my 2010 model, then the whole underside has a plastic pan covering everything up there. There are 4 indentions that are where the jacking points are located. When I had my car up recently, I used the frame to jack it up, as I didn't know for sure that the indentions were for the jack and I didn't want to bend anything. Some folk use a scissors jack and some use a bottle jack. HF sells both and the small bottle jack will do just fine for the weight of the car. Some folk use a hockey puck. I just got one, but I have not tried using it, so I don't know how close to the indention size the hoceky puck actually is on this car. Use of the parking brake and also some small chocks is probably a wise thing to do when lifting the car in this manner. I am not sure if every model of Smart uses that underbelly pan or not.

I trimmed off 3/4" from a stock hockey puck and it gives it the same half-moon shape as those indentions for the jack. I just cut this one down and have not put it up against the indention to the floor pan to see if it is a perfect fit or not. Ran out of daylight, so I'll check it in the morning, but you can get the idea. I am not a hockey player and our local sports shops didn't carry any hockey pucks at all. Unique to this area, as Arlington had them, but not Wichita Falls. Cost me $4.99 on Ebay and a buck for shipping. It is solid rubber and easy to trim on a scroll saw.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/a1930ford/17239435191/

·
Super Moderator
11,294 Posts
bottom of all 2008- present smarts use the plastic tray, hokey puck works the best (cut to fit) some jacks will have a slot in them to fit around the weld by the jacking point, which works too.

Keep in mind that with a flat tire, the car will sit much lower so a bottle jack may not fit with a flat tire.

I do have 4 steel front rims with worn tires and TPMS in the shed.. they do hold air and could work as a spare...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Just something interesting I see:

I was at HF earlier today to pick up some non-related items there. While shopping, I looked at their jack stands and the bottle neck jacks they had locally. I didn't think to look at the scissor jack linked in this thread, so I didn't see them and didn't look on this trip. One thing I notice with each of the photos showing the jacking points to a Smart Car, is that, other than the bottle jack and a modified hockey puck, none of the jacks seem to have a supporting end that looks like it actually fits well into those divits in the floor pan that cover the jack points. In fact, the scissor jack shown looks as it it would lend itself to tipping easily when raising the car. One could weld on a thick, round piece of metal that fit better for support, but even the jack stands look as it their support piece on top is not well-fitted to mating with the jack points of a typical Smart Car. I'm not so use that 4 bottle jacks would be all that safe in keeping a Smart Car hoisted up on them. A ramp may be an alternative that works better, but it is useless for being stored in the car for highway use.

I am going to play about with some hockey puck modification just to see how well they hold with the bottle jack or even hydraulic jack I currenlty use. Just wondering how stable these jacks are since they don't quite fit correctly into those indentions in that large plastic body pan on the underside of the car?

http://s56.photobucket.com/user/a1930ford/media/image_16073_zpsmzkbcmpq.jpg.html#/user/a1930ford/media/image_16073_zpsmzkbcmpq.jpg.html?&_suid=142984481158607112320644569512

·
Super Moderator
11,294 Posts
A bottle jack is designed for lifting only. when working under any car, it should be supported by a Jack Stand rated for the weight of the car. Bottle jacks can leak pressure and drop without warning. As long as the car is sitting on the top plate of the jackstand, it will hold the car it is rated for.

When you raise a car, they do not go straight up but pivot on the wheel on the opposite side. That is why most floor jacks have wheels under them so they can move when the car goes up (or down) A scissor jack will not move and care should be taken to only raise the car enough to change the tire and then put it back down. Using any jack under a car for an extended period of time, or when putting a person's body under the car is a really bad idea!!

Before getting under a car or working on a car that is raised, it is best to give it the shake test and make sure it is secure! It is always good to have another person around or at least checking on you when working under any car. Just my safety blurb for the day. and yes, I have been caught under a car or two when the jack failed. Luckily I was not seriously hurt and I had someone close by that could help get me out.

The puck will spread out the load don the jacking point so the jack will not punch through the car or bend the metal. Done that too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts