Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2017 Smart 453 Gas turbo. I tried the standard spark plug socket but it wouldn't fit into the plug hole. Someone suggested I get the thin 14MM which I did but it won't fit the plugs I ordered which were Smart factory plugs LKR7B-9 and it also says on the box A 132 159 00 03. So, do I have the wrong plugs? I don't want to remove the engine plugs until I have the new plugs to replace them with. I feel fairly confident the 14MM socket I ordered WILL go into the spark plug hole but the spark plugs I ordered are either 16MM or 5/8 standard size. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, so I got impatient and went ahead and pulled a plug. I hope me posting this here will help others.
The plug (original) was a NGK ILKAR7J7G which is equivalent to a NGK 91121 Iridium. The correct socket size is a thin walled 14MM. A standard size socket will not go down into the plug hole.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Thin walled socket will fit , just by luck my BMW RT1200 uses the same thin wall I have in my tool box . Advance auto carries them

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I have anti-seize compound but did not use it. NGK says their plugs have a special coating and if you use anti-seize it will make the torque settings unreliable. I also watched a clip on youtube (Scotty Kilmer) who said the same.
Interesting. I’ve always used it in all my cars for more that 50 years. Never had an issue, never found a plug lose or too tight when changing and have used lots of NGK plugs in my Japanese cars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting. I’ve always used it in all my cars for more that 50 years. Never had an issue, never found a plug lose or too tight when changing and have used lots of NGK plugs in my Japanese cars.
It is probably OK but I'll stick to the experts on this. I also watch Scotty Kilmer on youtube. He has been a mechanic for over 45 years and he also changed his mind on using anti-seize. I actually purchased two large containers of anti-seize at a N GA flea market this year.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I just follow the vehicle manufacturer’s instructions regarding anti-seize. Mixed, some saying to and some saying not to, kind of like oil change hot or not…

1 - 13 of 13 Posts