Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a loan approval with CarMax and I need to decide today which car I want. I am torn. I have always wanted a Smart but all my friends think I am crazy. My mom says I will get killed in it. CarMax has two 2013's that I like. One passion and one cabrio. Both under 10000 miles. Both priced at 12998. Here are my only reservations:

1: I can't drive stick so will driving the Smart in automatic work ok for me? I test drove one but you know you can't get too much of a feel in a 15 minute test drive. Plus I love take day trips places.

2: Will the 4/50000 mile warranty transfer to me?

HELP me make a good decision. I kept my last car for 5 years so whatever I get I will keep for awhile.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Take the Cabrio.
Life is better when you go topless.

If all your friends decided that moving to Iowa was a good idea, would you follow them?
Be a leader, not a follower?

The warranty is 4 yrs/50K mi from date of manufacture, doesn't matter how many people own the car. Carmax "might" add their own warranty to that?

Driving a smart in auto mode is no problem. Once you are comfortable, then you can start playing around with the manual mode.

·
Registered
449 Posts
what other cars do you like? What do you like about them? What do you like about the smart?

I've had my smart for 5.5 years, and still love it every day. just shy of 90,000 miles, and no issues, and mine's an '08.

Personally I'd "want" the cabrio more, because it's basically a $3000 option you're getting for free. But for me, I like the solid frame on the hard-top. And I really enjoy the clear roof year-round. And a friend of mine has a cabrio, and his top has given him a lot of trouble. he doesn't ever use it any more. So, I'd lean toward the coupe, myself. Not to muddy the waters, just to give you another opinion to weigh against your own.

Good luck! And have fun with the decision process! Don't stress...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am looking at at a Fiat 500 Sport and a Scion IQ. I have it narrowed it down to those 3. I like the Scion because it has the most standard features including a touchscreen radio with Pandora. The Fiat I like because it is sporty and has cool wheels and a retro modern interior with lots of standard features.

I like the Smart because I can't stand going to the mall and coming out and having the same kind of car as two dozen other people. My last car was a Hyundai Accent and they were soooooo common. lol. I like that the Smart will attract attention and stares and it's cute :)

So the cabrio has issues with the top? That's not good.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Yup, Love my cabrio! Nicely engineered top. It will be a little noisier naturally, than a coupe.
Yo Momma don't know nuthin about no safety cages.
We read on here all the time about how the tridion safety cell protected its' occupants when seat belts were being worn during rather severe crashes.
My favorite example was a cabrio that was forced into a curb, flipped upside down and rolled over onto a guard rail. The roll bars in the wind shield, each seat back and in front of the tailgate-rear window, not to mention the super strong steel re-inforcing the tridion safety cell, saved the life of the driver. The car flipped multiple times. The driver OPENED THE DOOR and got out of the car. He had six stitches to the scalp and to one of his hands. That is all. The driver was an off duty policeman, and was the victim of road rage. The car was totaled, but the driver survived with superficial injuries.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Cabrio top issues are the exception more than the rule. Remember who designed this vehicle.
(Swatch Mercedes ART, SMArt The president of Swatch dreamed up the idea of the exchange-able plastic panels, VW started the project and later was picked up and finished by MB using their S class safety cage technology)
The top is known to be very water tight. You will seldom read about water leak issues with the cabrio.
I've found that if my top develops clatter, it is just the glides of the top asking for a little Silglyde brand lubricant. It is a silcone based grease that does not run or drip, and stays put while providing a nice lubricant cushion that keeps the glides from rattle-ing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess my biggest concern are the reviewers who say the car jerks a lot. lol. I know that's probably not true. Just making sure since I love driivng places so may spend a few hours at a time in my car driving to the beach or someplace.

·
17,346 Posts
My mom says I will get killed in it.

1: I can't drive stick so will driving the Smart in automatic work ok for me? I test drove one but you know you can't get too much of a feel in a 15 minute test drive. Plus I love take day trips places.

2: Will the 4/50000 mile warranty transfer to me?
My mum said the same thing. I taught her the safety basics to no avail. It's a rock solid car that fights above its weight.

It's like an umpa lumpa fighting Mike Tyson and winning. :D

In regards to your questions:

1) There's no clutch pedal and Auto Mode will take care of 100% of the shifting process for you. If you do choose to go into Manual Mode, fear not, the car will not allow you to damage it if you were to shift late or early! It's fun to drive in Manual Mode, I do 100% of my driving in Manual Mode.

2) Most certainly. Although certain parts of the warranty (brakes, wipers, wheels, and alignment) expire before the 50k mark. So if there's anything wrong with the car get it fixed right away!

Get the cabrio. I LOVE my coupe to death, but if I were to do it all again, I'd go cabrio.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I am looking at at a Fiat 500 Sport and a Scion IQ. I have it narrowed it down to those 3. I like the Scion because it has the most standard features including a touchscreen radio with Pandora. The Fiat I like because it is sporty and has cool wheels and a retro modern interior with lots of standard features.

I like the Smart because I can't stand going to the mall and coming out and having the same kind of car as two dozen other people. My last car was a Hyundai Accent and they were soooooo common. lol. I like that the Smart will attract attention and stares and it's cute :)

I had a 2008 cabrio and never had a single issue with the top, I do prefer the panoramic roof on my 2012 passion since I get to enjoy it year round.

If they are both priced the same I would take the cabrio for sure.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I still love and trust my smart to get me out of bad situations, which it's done many times, and to protect me if it fails the next time. Mine is an '08 passion coupe, with about 60k, and I still love driving it every single day. I've never felt like that about any other car I've ever owned. I chose the hardtop because I live in the Pacific Northwest, where it rains a lot, and my first car way back when was a '68 Pontiac GTO convertible. So......I guess I got that part out of my system early on. :) I have a friend who had a cabrio, and he had a number of complaints. He said it was noisier than a coupe all the time, and WAY noisier with the top down. Something about the way the air flowed creating extra noise. He also said that because of the way the top folded in back, in made it more difficult to load large items into the back, so you 'kinda lost cargo space. What he really hated though, and I completely understand living here in the PNW, is that it seems the rear of these cars, because of the aerodynamics I guess, collect ALL of the road grime, muck, dirt, etc., and on the cabrio.....there is no rear wiper & washer to clean it off the window. :O Trust me, living here where I do, I use my wiper and rear washer a LOT!! As for your friends, like most people they're probably basing their opinions on ignorance, and they probably don't really know anything about the car. There was a guy posted on an RV website that a "smart would be totaled in a collision with a bicycle." :( That's ignorance talking! Right after I read THAT, I read THIS on the forum. Show this to your mother and your friends.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f181/smashed-between-1-ton-flat-bed-truck-large-delivery-truck-57522/

Hope this helps you in your decision. I couldn't do an iQ, although I like the looks of them, because I'm just TOO BIG. No headroom. Never liked the looks of the Fiat 500. Loved Mini Coopers, but same problem as the iQ. Get the one that YOU want, and that YOU are going to be happy with. A very wise uncle of mine used to say "I'll only get 8-10 hours of sleep tonight worrying about what other people think!" LOL

·
17,346 Posts

I like that the Smart will attract attention and stares and it's cute :)

In my opinion, do not get the iQ if you're looking for something with character. It's a nice car...buuuuuuut it's kinda like an appliance...

The Fiat is a VERY good alternative to a smart. It has just as much character and style as a smart with the added bonus of some Italian flair and two extra seats as well.

The smart's cabrio top is actually one of the best fabric car tops I've come across. It's thick, sturdy, and well insulated. Although some disagree, I think it's quieter than the coupe too.

A smart will attract so much attention that you might become a local celebrity...I'm not even kidding...

I guess my biggest concern are the reviewers who say the car jerks a lot. lol. I know that's probably not true. Just making sure since I love driivng places so may spend a few hours at a time in my car driving to the beach or someplace.
The transmission programming has seen some refinements over the years. I can confirm that the only way it'll "jerk around" is when you're "creeping" between 5-10mph and are using the gas pedal in an inconsistent manner.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
If you want mundane Toyota reliability with tiny rear seats, no glove box, and forward in your way passenger seat placement, choose Scion with its' cvt transmission.

Paddle shifters provide fun to drive zippy performance without the clutch pedal whenever you need a power boost, Definitely more fun than a 'yota.

If you buy the smart, stipulate that it comes WITH two keys, and has the latest software updates done at a smart center.

Any manual transmission will be jerky at low speeds in parking lots. The computer controlled automated-MANUAL transmission of the smart is no different.
Gotta love it!

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Annnnnd you can keep it looking like new for years to come. Got a scratch? Get a panel.
Tired of the color, get a set of panels. Like the new look of the 2013? Get panels! :D
Want a new style, twin exhaust, front air dam, wide rear fenders? All available aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Neon, correct me if I am wrong, but I recall reading here somewhere that some of the early thirteens did not have the latest update. It never hurts to check. They certainly don't communicate with us owners about the latest updates now do they?

·
17,346 Posts
Neon, correct me if I am wrong, but I recall reading here somewhere that some of the early thirteens did not have the latest update. It never hurts to check. They certainly don't communicate with us owners about the latest updates now do they?
I'm aware that there's really new update lingering around out there. Although I think the one that concerns the OP the most is the one that came with the 2012s.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts