Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
…here’s another one…
…try two hoses …bigger diameter that will fit the nozzle opening and down the filler tube as far as it can go…smaller hose into the guide hose will make it easier for it to make the final turn…

jetfuel…got more

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
When air is blown through the siphon you can hear air hitting the top of the fuel. I've tried twisting the hose trying to get it to drop into the fuel with no luck.
As you can see it is a fairly flat tank with a side fill.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts

…remember this ??..
…shows the in and out of the tank…

jetfuel…what he’s up to now??

·
Registered
3 Posts
i THINK i have a leaking fuel pump fitting and i need to drain the full tank to drop it. is there a way to drain the tank other than by syphoning?

Bill
Hi Bill,
Whilst supporting the smart car on home made wooden ramps 16” high ( able to support a Range Rover!)
I just lowered the tank on a gear box scissor jack, from harbour freight, removed the pump and replaced it with a new one. I never drained the tank!
Peter.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi Bill,
Whilst supporting the smart car on home made wooden ramps 16” high ( able to support a Range Rover!)
I just lowered the tank on a gear box scissor jack, from harbour freight, removed the pump and replaced it with a new one. I never drained the tank!
Peter.
you busy this weekend?

Bill

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
is the fuel pump outlet nozzle accessible while the tank is still installed? if so then a hose could be connected to it and let the fuel pump pump the tank out... OR can the existing fuel line be disconnected somewhere and use it to pump the tank out?

Bill

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
is the fuel pump outlet nozzle accessible while the tank is still installed? if so then a hose could be connected to it and let the fuel pump pump the tank out... OR can the existing fuel line be disconnected somewhere and use it to pump the tank out?

Bill
I don't think it is accessible...?
That is what was nice about my BMW Z3. There was an access panel to the fuel pump from Inside the cabin. I don't believe there is one on the smart??

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I don't think it is accessible...?
That is what was nice about my BMW Z3. There was an access panel to the fuel pump from Inside the cabin. I don't believe there is one on the smart??
my solstice also has access from the trunk/top. had a pump fitting crack on that too....

still not looking forward to dropping the tank, but i gotta do what i gotta do.... or not drive it any more....

Bill

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Yep, I was afraid of that.
With that flat tank and a side filler a simple siphon won't work. Thank you for the pictures. That is exactly how I was going to attempt it. Only without a lift
Keep us updated on your progress.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
That lift is sweet! That’s my dream garage!
Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive parking light
Sky Plant Building Tree Shade

not bragging, just sharing; i have a 40 x 40 building with 6 doors, 2 4-post lifts, and the 2-post lift. i worked all my life and was never able to have anything like this until i retired, and now it's getting like in my dotage i'm too puny to do the things i have done and want/need to do.

but, thank you (and hopefully i will get the fuel pump swapped out....)

Bill

21 - 40 of 58 Posts