Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Passion/SMP
The door hinges for the passenger door are loose. To get to the bolts it looks like I need to remove the right quarter panel. Any one have the procedure to do that?

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Not a difficult job, the whole front comes off as one piece. It works best if you have an extra set of hands to keep from scratching things when it comes off. The side skirts need to come off to get to the bottom bolt for each fender.

·
Registered
271 Posts
When I had to tighten the door hinges, I removed the outer door skin, not the fenders. My hinges had loosened on the door side, not the body side of the hinge. The Evilution instructions are good, except for the part about a door lock screw, my US spec 451 did not have that screw.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I had to tighten the door hinges, I removed the outer door skin, not the fenders. My hinges had loosened on the door side, not the body side of the hinge. The Evilution instructions are good, except for the part about a door lock screw, my US spec 451 did not have that screw.

Unfortunately for me it's the body side that's loose.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Turned out it was the 4 bolts connecting the hinges to the door. I used the 2 YouTube videos below. First video is how to remove the outer door skin, mine has power side mirrors while the video is for manual. Just meant mine was easier. Second video is how to remove the plastic trim pieces covering the 45mm torq bolts. You have to remove one bolt at a time, apply locktite and then reinstall the bolt. This is done with the door closed which makes lining up the door easy. Not much space to work in, I used a torq socket from Harbor Freight and an open in wrench to turn the socket. Where the other side of the hinge enters the quarter panel to get bolted to the body is a large square hole. It's easy to drop the socket into that void so cover that hole with masking tape.

https://youtu.be/u0CRu0hmi0A

https://youtu.be/c3yYpEwp98Y

1 - 6 of 6 Posts