Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the TS800's for 5 years and I'm really happy with them (continental says they're "tailor made" for these cars) But they came out around 12 years ago, and I've heard technology has gotten better. I'm considering vikingcontact tires but is there any reason NOT to go with them? Since they have won many awards and are actually a bit cheper too.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Personal preference, but I've always had fantastic performance with Bridgestone Blizzak's. Used them on my 451, and now on (the rear of) my 453.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personal preference, but I've always had fantastic performance with Bridgestone Blizzak's. Used them on my 451, and now on (the rear of) my 453.

I have them on another car and wasn't a van. Very loud and the grip seemed worse

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yokohama ICEGUARD IG20 175/60R15

Maybe try four Yokohama ICEGUARD IG20 175/60R15 tires. You can fit them to the standard 4.5J front rims and 5.5J rear rims. There's no need to use four rear rims unless you want to.

175/60R15 fit 4.5J and 5.5J rims as well as 185/55R15 fit 5J and 6J rims, which was a standard fitment on the Smart Roadster 452.

The outside diameter of the tires is slightly bigger than standard, so you will get 12mm extra ground clearance on the front and 8.75mm extra ground clearance on the back compared to the standard 155/60R15 front and 175/55R15 rear tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In what way did the grip seem worse? On my 451, I've driven on roads that were a sheet of ice with no problem at all.

back end would kick out on my other car on corners, never had that happen with contis

·
Registered
348 Posts
I just pulled a set of UNIROYAL Tiger Paws off of Minimus. I put a set of 205\55-15 Nitto NT450 on the back and 165\55-15 Kenda Kanine from a Can-Am Spyder. Supposed to snow in Sconnie next 7 days... ...we'll see Dr. Jones!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Review of Continental TS800s from TireRack:

Vehicle:
2014 smart fortwo passion coupe

Not Rated

• Miles Driven on Tires:
  • Driving Condition:
    Mostly City
    Driving Style:
    Average
50 Miles on Tires
February 04, 2015
Horrible Horrible Horrible HORRIBLE.
Don't waste your money. We only bought these as they were the only tires available for the Smart car.
My son slid - SLID - off the road doing less than 20 mph on a FLAT Surface!!
He got stuck in a Cleaned, snowpacked driveway.
If I could I would return these as they are no better than the all-season's we removed.

DO NOT BUY

The Continental VikingContact7s seem to have better reviews, and are cheaper.

Myself, I've got 3 smarts - 2009 Passion, 2015 Pure, and 2015 Brabus.

I've got a set of 185/55R15 Bridgestone Blizzak WS90s, a set of 175/65R15 Bridgestone Blizzak WS80s, and if things ever get really crazy, a set of 185/60R15 Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 Studded Winter Tires.

The Blizzaks are among the top rated, from what I've seen. The 90s are supposed to have better tread life than the 80s, but wet/snow/ice performance looks comparable, and the 80s are cheaper. I haven't had a chance to really test any of mine yet, as we had no appreciable snow last year.

Keep in mind that winter tires have cold weather rubber formulations that summer tires don't have, and that all-seasons have to a lesser extent. The one notable exception seems to Vredestein's Quatrac 5 Grand Touring All-Season tire, which is severe snow rated. I suspect that a lot of winter accidents are attributable to inappropriate tires.

·
Registered
307 Posts
How's the road noise?
Didn't notice any difference from the old origional 2008 Blizzaks, but I don't hear as well anymore and I'm more concerned about traction than sound. I did leave them on all summer and they seem to be wearing well.

·
Registered
185 Posts
For winter, I'm a big fan of Nokians:

Four 'All Weather' 185/55/15 Nokian WR G4s (never have to change tires in the winter).

On the cars that have separate Summer and Winter wheel sets, my choice is four narrower, studless Nokian 165/60/15 Hakkapeliitta R3s (quieter than the stock all season Conti's....)

·
17,476 Posts
You could not pay me to run another set of Continentals. Maybe I'm unlucky but they always wear out so fast.

Like @Mailman I run Nokian Hakkapeliittas in the winter.

My favourite winter tire is the Firestone Winterforce 1. These are loved in parts of the autocross community because they're snow tires that are so hardcore that they're good in dirt and mud, too. But the Winterforce 1 has been discontinued so you're pretty much only going to find them second hand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts