Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
17,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight at about 9PM I saw the Un-Big commercial for the first time...And I believe I finally figured out what smartUSA had in store for it...But in order for everyone to understand, I have to tell a story...

When I got to my friend's house tonight I talked about that BRABUS in Chicago and how it's going at a bargain bin price. At one point my friend's dad asked about safety...Instinctively I shot straight for the tridion cell. I explained to him what it was and how it worked, then I whipped out the iPhone and showed him picture of a passion coupe and then just the naked tridion. As he examined the tridion cell picture I started hearing "BIG BIG BIG BIG" in the background. My head immediately turned to the TV which was indeed airing Un-Big...

After the spot ended I sort of loudly cheered, at which point my friend's dad asked me what happened:

"What's wrong with you?"
"You didn't see it?"
"See what?"
"That smart commercial!"
"Huh? Oh, you mean BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG smart?"
"Yes! How'd you know about it?"
"Already seen it a couple of times."

If you watch the spot, they say "BIG" several times and "small" twice. Never do they actually say "smart". But because "BIG" was extremely redundant, "BIG" becomes associated with the subject, in this case, smart.

It's not a proven theory but as I had witnessed tonight, it seems that's the direction smart was headed with this ad. It's not to say everything's big but smart, but to make you think smarts are big...Using repetition...

Also, using repetition (or just something catchy) you create something memorable. Think about the insurance companies, Geico has "15 minutes could save you 15%..." Allstate has "Are you in good hands" (as well as "mayhem" for parts of the past several months), and SafeAuto even has a catchy jingle. In smart's case, they repeat "BIG" so many times that "BIG' became associated with smart!

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
Daughter, and I watched last night on the Fox network. We both said where's the car?
Why didn't they show the interior..... BIG.

·
17,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Meh could be foreshadowing...it could just be my past theory about America's obsession with big (even MINI has gone big)...

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you ask me it is a mistake to purposely limit your market share. Again, smart is trying to appeal to people who PREFER small to big - which is a pretty small percentage of the general population judging from the number of GINORMOUS SUVs on the road.

Instead of preaching to the tiny car choir, smart should endeavor to expand the market share by promoting the OTHER wonderful aspects of the car such as the fact that it is incredible fun to drive and that it is economical (who doesn't want to save money these days)! Now if they expand the "big" promotion to include the roomy interior, that is good since many people might think that it is cramped.

Honestly, I think that pushing safety would be the best choice, since apparently the majority of people who would LIKE to buy a smart, but don't because they are concerned about [unfounded] safety issues. Smart could launch a very effective advertising campaign (complete with funny, cute ads), based on the safety aspect and hopefully change the minds of those folks by demonstrating just how safe the little car really is.

donsgal

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Personally, I think they are setting the stage - what's common? Big. SUV's, pickup trucks, land yachts. So, you want to be different (and to judge by the excitement/attitude for the kid that sees the smart, you do), go small... Carve yourself out of the herd.

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
Neon, I've been humming that stupid J Lo song, in the back of mind all day. Can't get rid of it. Maybe she can sing a song, for a smart car commercial.

·
17,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Nah, she's just all over Fiat...We need an even BIGGER musical name to endorse us.
Lets see here...

*thinking*

Katy Perry and Lady GaGa have enormous following... (???)
Heck, you could just get the license to movie soundtracks (primarily The Dark Knight or BTTF).

As a last ditch effort just have the UK Top Gear guys just do a commercial.

·
He's not mine
9,613 Posts
Taking demographics into consideration ... a Boomer musician might be a good choice.
Neil Young, Cindy Lauper, Paul McCartney, Melanie Safka, Steven Tyler, Roger Daltrey, someone along those lines. heh.

·
17,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You don't want to give the Top Gear trio another opportunity at smart bashing...:wink:
Actually the team likes smarts (watch their reviews of the roadster, the bi-turbo, and "24hrs in a forfour") they just think they're too expensive and that the tranny is useless.

They also did a written review on the 451. It's a fair one.

The only bad review was in the original city coupe by no other than Vicky in Old Top Gear.*

*I'm excluding the 450 generation Electric Drive because that thing was hopeless.

643 Posts
If you ask me it is a mistake to purposely limit your market share. Again, smart is trying to appeal to people who PREFER small to big - which is a pretty small percentage of the general population judging from the number of GINORMOUS SUVs on the road.

Instead of preaching to the tiny car choir, smart should endeavor to expand the market share by promoting the OTHER wonderful aspects of the car such as the fact that it is incredible fun to drive and that it is economical (who doesn't want to save money these days)! Now if they expand the "big" promotion to include the roomy interior, that is good since many people might think that it is cramped.

Honestly, I think that pushing safety would be the best choice, since apparently the majority of people who would LIKE to buy a smart, but don't because they are concerned about [unfounded] safety issues. Smart could launch a very effective advertising campaign (complete with funny, cute ads), based on the safety aspect and hopefully change the minds of those folks by demonstrating just how safe the little car really is.

donsgal
I like what they're doing. Our biggest obstacle selling the smarts is not about just convincing people that the smart car is cool, or safe, fuel-efficient, or
saves money. It's overcoming the cultural behavior that makes our showroom guests refuse to close the deal because of the cars size. It just seems so American to want the biggest car they can find. Doesn't matter how many times I can show a guest a Toyota Yaris getting crushed by the Camry while the smart tridion holds up against the (stronger) Mercedes C-Class, it just doesn't click.

Americans want something bigger. So I applaud the commercial for trying to make it cool to be UNbig (Americans want to save gas on the largest small car they can find, which is so obvious when you hear the critics call small cars with uninhabitable backseats "smarter" than smarts :rolleyes:). The unbig ads are working on the cultural reasons we lose deals to the larger small cars, and I believe it is going to eventually work. I believe smart will have a BIG (pardon the pun) growth over the next 5 years. I think these ads will work, especially once our product and selection improves for the 2012 model run. Right now we're selling off whatever 2011's remain... lots of green green greens! :)

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Ok Folks, Take a look at the new Web Site

unboring. uncar.
pure coupe
starting at $12,490*
The best of both worlds: 5-speed
smartshift® transmission
Yep, the smartshift is never boring

Unleash car
Unroof Car
Unplug Uncar

our beliefs
It's time to uncongest our roads and unclutter our lives. It's time to unobey tired ways of thinking and undrag-around third row seats (and second, too).

Over 96 million Americans drive to work alone each day. That means there are about 288,675,000 empty seats commuting to and from work. Astonishing. That's why we got rid of the backseat. It's just a little smarter.

OUR BELIEFS
unlandfill. uncar.
Does anyone else sense a theme here?

·
Super Moderator
28,535 Posts
Have mentioned this before, and perhaps things are different in Canada, but they out sell the US in smarts by quite a bit per capita. The head of smart Canada summed it up by saying they look at the sales demographics in their markets and target the folks who are not buying trucks, vans, luxury sedans, etc. It's possible smart USA/DVI is trying this in a sort of backhanded way, but hopefully they'll learn from their Canadian counterparts and go after the buyers who aren't interested in those conventional choices. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts