Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up the car on Saturday at Benzel Bush in NJ. About 750 miles on the odometer. From what I was told (not sure if I believe it), it was a show circuit car that spent most of it's life sitting on promotional stages.

Drove home about 160 miles the same day with 3 charging stops (maybe could have done with just 2 if I was more brave).

Fun to drive, very interesting overall.

I also put together a video of the drive home. Search for "Driving a 2017 Smart ED 160 Miles" on YouTube.

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
If the car has never been titled, then you should be eligible for the $7500 tax credit. You would know if it has not been titled if you got a Certificate of Origin and not a title. If the car was titled, even to the dealership, then you won't be eligible for that credit.

Good luck - nice looking car.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 17,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 9,500 miles

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I'd love to hear some range reports from your trip - especially in the warmer than normal, but still not exactly warm, weather lately. The EPA range is obviously an underestimate.

BTW, there is a separate ED forum on this site - scroll down a bit.

And, even if the car ends up being technically "used", you can still get a $1000 rebate check (not tax credit) from PADEP if you live in a air-quality-non-compliance county (edit: I don't think you do). When I bought the ED I had been leasing at the end of the lease I was able to get it in Allegheny County.

-------

Edit: Just saw the video. You should not worry too much about the seat heater effect on range. The seat heaters (like the headlights, wipers, etc) run on the 12 volt accessory circuit and have a very small wattage draw compared to the space heater whose core draws high voltage right from the traction pack.

Seat heaters are pretty much mandatory on any EV. Unfortunately, mine does not have them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts