Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed this 9 inch touchscreen stereo and rear view camera from Amazon.

Apple car play and Android auto works just like in my new car.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 smart Fortwo Passion Coupe
71 Posts
There's a button blocking the Google Assistant button. I wonder what that is? Also is the cable blocking the little pocket next to the steering wheel?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a button blocking the Google Assistant button. I wonder what that is? Also is the cable blocking the little pocket next to the steering wheel?
That round button 🔘 is movable and allows different screen rotation positions.
The cable is not blocking the little pocket. USB extension plug is just laying there in a pocket.
I routed the 2nd USB downward and it's poking out from the plastic panel next to cupholders.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Administrator
29,724 Posts
Incredible price! No CD/DVD slot, but I guess that isn't really an issue anymore. Did you know what navigation software it's using and if updates are available? Was it a plug and play install or did you need a wiring harness adapter? :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
That round button 🔘 is movable and allows different screen rotation positions.
The cable is not blocking the little pocket. USB extension plug is just laying there in a pocket.
I routed the 2nd USB downward and it's poking out from the plastic panel next to cupholders.
I bought one of those automotive usb hubs on Amazon and plugged my 2 usb ports into that. I put the usb hub in the plastic plate under the dash, near the passenger's knee area (there's nothing there, I checked). I think it looks cleaner and I (personally) thought it might be safer to have the cables on the passenger side of the car. Good to know that button is movable, although recently my assistant never works anyways lol.
Good to know that the screen is responsive. My current phone (Oneplus N200) and stereo combo (Boss Be7acp) actually freezes once in a while.

jwight, that looks to be Waze. It's an app on the phone. I currently use it because SoCal traffic is absolutely ridiculous.

Reactions: Matrix11229

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
I haven’t played a CD for over 15 years now. All my tunes, are on my phones, some 4K of them. Paired Bluetooth. That system of your look pretty good. Did it come with a separate face plate for the dash board of the smart car? Is there a volume knob? Hand free phone? Blue tooth?

Land vehicle Vehicle Plant Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Incredible price! No CD/DVD slot, but I guess that isn't really an issue anymore. Did you know what navigation software it's using and if updates are available? Was it a plug and play install or did you need a wiring harness adapter? :)
No cd/dvd but it's not needed. You can play anything from USB drive or your phone. You can even cast your phone screen and watch YouTube or whatever you like.
It has no navigation of its own. You use navigation from your phone through Apple car play or Android auto or smart cast of phone's screen. I mostly use Waze app for navigation.
I had a single din aftermarket radio which had a metra adapter, so I reused it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good to know that button is movable, although recently my assistant never works anyways lol.
Good to know that the screen is responsive. My current phone (Oneplus N200) and stereo combo (Boss Be7acp) actually freezes once in a while.
While Boss stereos are not that great, this no name Chinese stereo on Amazon is at least as good or better.
For $70-$100 you can buy a new stereo every year or two. Even if it breaks, it's still gonna be cheaper than Pioneer or Sony with Apple/Google car play.

Did you try contacting Boss for software update/warranty? Does Google assistant activate with voice commands?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I haven’t played a CD for over 15 years now. All my tunes, are on my phones, some 4K of them. Paired Bluetooth. That system of your look pretty good. Did it come with a separate face plate for the dash board of the smart car? Is there a volume knob? Hand free phone? Blue tooth?

View attachment 70146
Thanks man. Yeah, this 9 inch does look like factory installed.
I think my 451 Pure came without radio initially.
I bought it used.
It had a plastic cover in a shape of factory radio with Smart written on it in big letters.
Previous owner poked a single din stereo through it.
I bought a Scotch double din dash bezel at first, but then I decided to just use the original bezel and cut a 2 din window in it and attached the stereo unit to the bezel with screws.

It doesn't have a volume knob. Only touch screen buttons on the left side of screen.
You can instantly mute it by pressing on/off button once though.
Of course it has Bluetooth , while you can use your phone for voice commands.
You can also use voice commands through Apple car play/Android auto if you plug in your phone.

There's a somewhat similar stereo on eBay which comes embedded in a custom bezel for Smart. It also has Apple car play/Google.
It's more expensive but might come handy if you don't wanna torture yourself with measurements and cutting dash bezels.

See link below 👇

·
Registered
71 Posts
While Boss stereos are not that great, this no name Chinese stereo on Amazon is at least as good or better.
For $70-$100 you can buy a new stereo every year or two. Even if it breaks, it's still gonna be cheaper than Pioneer or Sony with Apple/Google car play.

Did you try contacting Boss for software update/warranty? Does Google assistant activate with voice commands?
I just switched phones today and it works perfectly. It was a phone that was extremely underpowered. I switched to the Google Pixel 6 and it's extremely quick to do anything. The Boss stereo is not good, but I bought it a while ago, before I even started working. I've been planning on buying a much more expensive stereo, but I just acquired a few cars that I'm planning to modify far before the smart. Boss doesn't seem to have any updates or anything on their website.

Reactions: DudeInTheSmart

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I bought my 2015 451 last year, it had a damaged radio so the dealer bought me a similar unit with backup, remote, 9 inch screen and DVD. When I plugged it in to the car, it played but when you shifted into drive or reverse it went mute. Did you have anything similar happen?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I bought my 2015 451 last year, it had a damaged radio so the dealer bought me a similar unit with backup, remote, 9 inch screen and DVD. When I plugged it in to the car, it played but when you shifted into drive or reverse it went mute. Did you have anything similar happen?
I have an option to mute sound while in reverse.
Try to disable that option in settings. If it does it by default, then possibly it wasn't wired correctly.

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
442 Posts
That sounds like a configuraiton problem. When you switch into gear, any video media is supposed ot be blocked, but not audio. Unless you are using Youtube to play music, this should not be happening.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks Dude and Matrix. Good idea about the configuration. Although the new one cost $130 or so the one page manual was lacking in detail and poorly translated. Maybe I can find a video on how to do that. I saw a generic procedure for switching two pins in the harness so you could play DVDs while driving. Not sure why you would want to (but hey, I've seen people reading books while driving) but maybe that is the issue. The damaged unit that was in the car when I bought it did the same thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That looks really nice and bright for daytime use. Can I assume it ties into the parking-lights-are-on line so it dims to where it doesn’t blind you at night? Are the day/night brightness levels individually adjustable?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That looks really nice and bright for daytime use. Can I assume it ties into the parking-lights-are-on line so it dims to where it doesn’t blind you at night? Are the day/night brightness levels individually adjustable?
As far as I remember it has day and night modes but I didn't notice any difference.
It doesn't blind me at night. It actually has a good balance of brightness and readability.
I didn't have time to play with screen brightness adjustments yet but it looks pretty good with default settings.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts