Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am in the market for a new electric car. I have narrowed my search to the Smart Electric or the Nissan Leaf. It has been extremely frustrating trying to get any information at the dealerships. I have been to two Smart dealerships and neither could answer my questions. The one salesman tried to help but didn't have much knowledge of EV Smarts. Neither could tell me when they would be available in Ohio other than after the first of the year. The only info I have been able to find has been online. Do other Smart dealers also seem to not be really interested in selling electric vehicles or did I just happen on two exceptions?
Actually I have encountered this with a Nissan dealer also. A second Nissan dealer was extremely helpful and knowledgeable and took me on a test drive. It's sad when a company is trying to sell cars and not have trained or knowledgeable sales people. Is this lack of sales interest typical for dealers who mostly sell ICE vehicles. I am now leaning toward the Leaf even though I think the Smart would be a better fit for my needs. This will be an extra vehicle for day to day running around and not my primary vehicle. This site has been very helpful.

·
Super Moderator
28,460 Posts
:welcome: to SCoA! Always good to see another Ohio person here. :)

smart electric drives are limited to the California emission states right now; roll out to the rest of the country is supposed to happen after the first of the year.

Lots of info on the smart USA website, plus in the electric drive forums here. :)

PS - you don't have to buy at your nearest dealer; the electric drives are available now in certain East Coast states. One of those smart centers could drop ship it to your closest smart center.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
This is a post for super-Wrumbarger! He could handle this one with a single bound. PM sent.

Wrumbarger is probably one of the most knowledgeable smart ED sales people around. He is also an engineer and drives an ED if I remember correctly as well as a "Hello Kitty" smart ICE not to be confused with a smart a$$. :D
He works at the Tyson's Corner smart center in Virginia.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Well, GEE, thank you BB Benz. I am blushing.

All the above info is mostly correct.

States that have signed the ZEV mandate got the smart Electric in MAY.
CA, CT, MA, MD, ME, NJ, NY, OR, RI

Other states will not see the electric until FEBRUARY, 2014.

If you go to new electric cars. custom mini electric vehicles. smart USA and register to "get updates" you will be kept informed of latest developments.

IF one of the ZEV states is close to you, AND you find a smart dealer that has an electric with the colors and options you want. You can "buck" the system by going to them and getting it from the out of state dealer? (I don't know if they will ship it to a NON-zev state dealer due to HQ restrictions?)

I have driven both the Gen II (250 test vehicle fleet) and GEN III.
I am really impressed and have a Gen III cabrio on order myself.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I'm sorry, I thought you had yours already. I did remember that you did put a lot of miles on one of the demo's from your story telling at the dragon.
My memory is not what it used to be. I have trouble remembering to use the time clock at work. :p

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Yes, that is what convinced me to place an order.
smart HQ in Germany send over 2 specially equipped GEN III electric drives to test out the chargers in the US.
The cars arrived at my dealership about 10 days before the engineers.
I asked if I could drive them around just to test them out.
German HQ said "drive them as much as you like"

I really liked them

I put almost 5000 miles on them in the 10 days we had them.

You really need to be a little more precise when you are giving me directions?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I put almost 5000 miles on them in the 10 days we had them.

You really need to be a little more precise when you are giving me directions?
How do you put 500 miles per day on a Smart ED that has a 70 mile range??? Ok, you had two of them. How do you do 250 miles per day?

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
As BBB sez, Wrumbarger seems to be the SCoA authority on all things ED for those who are awaiting the Phase II roll-out and I see he has shared some of his Ed knowledge . . .

Do beg to differ with his opinion or experience following "registering" an interest in Ed - updates and communication from the mothership is NON-EXISTANT. But then again, what more would we expect from smartUSA?

In early July we drove from Charlotte to Atlanta to experience the weekend Ed test drive event and were quite impressed. As a test participant, we were given a $500 off voucher for purchase or lease of Ed but because of the delay, it has expired. :( While we were ready to "do the Ed dance" smartUSA is not and unfortunately it all seems both a distant memory and a tease. :confused:

As Wrumbarger says, Ed is currently being sold through 28 smart Centers in the 8 PZEV roll-out states. The roll-out to other states has been delayed until
Q1 (February?) 2014. All the false starts as to a release date seems to have softened the enthusiasm of some of the smart Centers? :rolleyes:

Currently the Ed build "configuration" page is not available at my smart Center as they have disabled the smartville link?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Because the "advertised" range of 68 miles, is no where near the "actual" range (my personal best was 114)?

And it takes less than 3 hours for a full recharge (from 0)

And, yes, I was splitting it between 2 cars.

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you can recharge from 0 to 100% in 3 hours, you are some kind of magician.
The car is limited to 3.3kWh per hour, and a full charge from zero will take 5 solid hours. It's just math and electrons, and if there is a way around that I'd love to know it.

Even if you consistently got 100 miles per charge-a near impossibility-you would need 5 charges a day, taking up 25 hours per day and leaving you with no time to drive.

If you are giving customers hope that they can full-charge in 3 hours and then get 100 miles per tank, you will be getting some real heaters coming at you...

BTW, extended range is frequently discussed by ED owners on the ED forum here. I don't think I have seen a single owner hit the century mark yet. 90 seems to be the barely attainable maximum some (not me) have reached.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I think the absolute maximum is 165Kms (102 miles). I don't think its possible to exceed that unless you're going down hill the whole time or there's a strong wind at your back the whole time.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I would love to have the time, and the arena, to be able to run the car from 100% to Zero at a steady 30mph. If there is a way to break 100, I think that would be it. Especially if it has some strong downhills in it and gentle uphills, the recharge might be ideal at that low of a speed.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
BA490... I'm fair game for any particular questions about the smart EV. I not only own one, but individually i've probably sold more EV's than anybody else in the country has. We love these EV's down here in Los Angeles. :)

On another note, you have come to the right place for smart EV info. You might want to check the "smart fortwo Electric Drive" section here to browse through owners' comments so you can get an idea of them.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
If you can recharge from 0 to 100% in 3 hours, you are some kind of magician.
The car is limited to 3.3kWh per hour, and a full charge from zero will take 5 solid hours. It's just math and electrons, and if there is a way around that I'd love to know it.

Even if you consistently got 100 miles per charge-a near impossibility-you would need 5 charges a day, taking up 25 hours per day and leaving you with no time to drive.

If you are giving customers hope that they can full-charge in 3 hours and then get 100 miles per tank, you will be getting some real heaters coming at you...

BTW, extended range is frequently discussed by ED owners on the ED forum here. I don't think I have seen a single owner hit the century mark yet. 90 seems to be the barely attainable maximum some (not me) have reached.
You can get a high speed Level 2 charger (car will need 5-6 hours to charge from 0%). It only takes about an hour to drive 65 miles or so. Close to the overall range of the vehicle on the freeway. You can charge your car for 5-6 hours and do it again and easily get 100+ miles in a day if you drive early enough and have access to a level 2 charger.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hi everyone. I am in the market for a new electric car. I have narrowed my search to the Smart Electric or the Nissan Leaf. It has been extremely frustrating trying to get any information at the dealerships. I have been to two Smart dealerships and neither could answer my questions. The one salesman tried to help but didn't have much knowledge of EV Smarts. Neither could tell me when they would be available in Ohio other than after the first of the year. The only info I have been able to find has been online. Do other Smart dealers also seem to not be really interested in selling electric vehicles or did I just happen on two exceptions?
Actually I have encountered this with a Nissan dealer also. A second Nissan dealer was extremely helpful and knowledgeable and took me on a test drive. It's sad when a company is trying to sell cars and not have trained or knowledgeable sales people. Is this lack of sales interest typical for dealers who mostly sell ICE vehicles. I am now leaning toward the Leaf even though I think the Smart would be a better fit for my needs. This will be an extra vehicle for day to day running around and not my primary vehicle. This site has been very helpful.
Getting back to the original post ... the smart Ed's have also not yet been available in IL either. I'm actually a current owner of a first year (officially in the U.S.) '08 smart passion coupe as well as a '12 Nissan LEAF (and 2 other cars -- 3 drivers). We've talked a few times to our closest smart dealer who actually had Ed's in queue to be built but these have been delayed due to the battery shortage as we would like a 2nd EV that would replace the '08 smart. As far as the dealer experience with any EV; the hope is the mechanics at the dealer are trained but I've never expected much from the sales side. In actuality, unless you do have issues with the car, you won't be spending too much time there anyway as these EV's don't need much maintenance (far less than an equivalent ICE model).

As with the original smart though, annual battery checks, etc. are typically required to be done at the dealer so I'm holding off until they are actually here versus having to flat bed the thing if it needs service (little to no charging structure to drive across states unless you opt for a Tesla).

When we were looking for an EV originally, the Ford Focus EV was at the top of the list as it was supposed to come to Chicago first ... that didn't happen and really no regrets getting a LEAF (almost 2 years now). With Nissan coming out with great leasing terms and offering a much lower priced EV now; if you can't wait any longer I would check into one to see if it would work for you.

As far as Ohio EV incentives, it looks like you might get one to install an EVSE charger in your garage but nothing on the car so at least you won't get penalized for buying out of state but if you can't get it serviced I wouldn't do it.

Here in IL we get up to $4K (10% off MSRP as a cash rebate) but only to purchase not lease one and it has to be from an IL dealer -- it made sense on our LEAF but would lean towards a lease on a smart Ed as to the whole 'battery rental' aspect, etc.; plus the fact that a new redesigned model is coming a few short years.

There is also a HUGE forum on the LEAF with folks that have even more experience than I do on the car that you should check out if you're interested (that forum also has a number of smart Ed owners posting as well; along with Tesla, Rav4 EV, FFE owners, etc. as well).

Not sure where in Ohio you are but here is a recent thread ...

My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - OHIO - Cleveland - Northeastern Ohio / Midwest

·
Registered
646 Posts
You can get a high speed Level 2 charger (car will need 5-6 hours to charge from 0%). It only takes about an hour to drive 65 miles or so. Close to the overall range of the vehicle on the freeway. You can charge your car for 5-6 hours and do it again and easily get 100+ miles in a day if you drive early enough and have access to a level 2 charger.
I have a Level 2 charger at home as well as at work and I am well aware of the charging times. My point was in response to the Smart salesman who was claiming 0-100% recharge times of 3 hours and that he had driven the Smart ED 250 miles per day for 10 consecutive days. That is just not possible.

Maybe he was just confused and thought when he was putting gas in the tank that those were electrons coming out of the pump.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I have a Level 2 charger at home as well as at work and I am well aware of the charging times. My point was in response to the Smart salesman who was claiming 0-100% recharge times of 3 hours and that he had driven the Smart ED 250 miles per day for 10 consecutive days. That is just not possible.

Maybe he was just confused and thought when he was putting gas in the tank that those were electrons coming out of the pump.
Oh, ok, gotcha!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
As I mentioned.

The cars brought over from germany specifically for testing out the US charging network to see what would and would not work.
(The engineers drove to several thousand chargers in this area and plugged in to test.)

Then they went to several different US cities and did the same tests there.

I also mentioned that the cars had lots of non standard tech equipment installed? (one of them even had the passenger seat removed and a big black box with lots of wires in it's place)?

I suppose it's possible that they had a larger/faster/different on-board charger?
Don't know, didn't ask?

I am just reporting what I was able to do while I had them?

As to being confused between gas and electricity? Seriously, you really want to go there?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
As I mentioned.

The cars brought over from germany specifically for testing out the US charging network to see what would and would not work.
(The engineers drove to several thousand chargers in this area and plugged in to test.)

Then they went to several different US cities and did the same tests there.

I also mentioned that the cars had lots of non standard tech equipment installed? (one of them even had the passenger seat removed and a big black box with lots of wires in it's place)?

I suppose it's possible that they had a larger/faster/different on-board charger?
Don't know, didn't ask?

I am just reporting what I was able to do while I had them?

As to being confused between gas and electricity? Seriously, you really want to go there?
Well, the test mules you received were certainly test mules. The final production smart EV won't handle close to 114 miles unless you're downhill the entire way and you're coasting.

The advertised range of 68 miles I believe is pretty fair, because it allows for pretty lackadaisical driving techniques and some air conditioning and/or heater usage. It also allows some flooring of the accelerator pedal and radio use.

I can see getting upwards of 90 miles on a flat freeway with no radio, I can see extending it up to 100 miles or so with a little stop and go, I can see mileage varying 20-30 miles.

But even doing so, you'd be sweating bullets the entire time. You would be doing it for experimental purposes only, no way you'd do it on a workday or without a backup plan, or a friend following you in a tow truck or vehicle trailer.

Some test mule smart EV's have been recharged here in the West Covina area (not going into anymore detail there) from solid 0% to 100% in one hour even ---- but only as tests. Nothing in final production and these features needed to be unlocked by the Germans with special equipment connected to the smart EV's on commercial property.

All smart EV's have cellular antennas in them, and it is possible for the Germans to communicate with the vehicle software if they are undergoing testing.

You had a beefed up test mule and you should consider yourself lucky to have driven it and experienced it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts