Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My wife and I have had 2 Smart Cars for five years, but have just traded both of them in for ED, Electric Drives. Great fun (even if the range is short). Is there anyone else out there with EDs? We are about to install a Type 2 EVSE (charger) on our driveway (we have no garage) and would love some advice: How do we protect it from the elements? has anyone mounted their EVSE in a box or bollard? How much did you spend to install it?
I am looking forward to joining the conversation...
Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
There are many Level 2 chargers designed for outdoor use. So rain shouldn't be a problem with most of them, just make sure the one you buy is designed to handle it.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
If you get a nice NEMA 4 type EVSE, you won't have a need for an enclosure. That's the same spec used for things like your electric meter enclosure, which is generally outside, exposed to the elements, and has all the electric current your house uses 24/7 running through it.

The one I have is NEMA 4 if installed properly (Power XPress). The only one I would caution you away from is the smart suggested Keba brand. They simply don't work well with the smart ED, and have lots of issues in their US model line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts