Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 BMW Isetta

BMW plans the Isetta for American distribution in 2011 or 2012. It is rumored to be based on the Toyota IQ or Fiat platform.

An EV or Hybrid release is expected in order for the automaket to meet the California law requiring a certain percentage of vehicles to meet zero emission standards.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
That AINT an Isetta

OK, I will admit it is a unique, ultra compact car.
And BMW makes a great product, either cars or bikes.
But that AINT an Isetta.

The Isetta had the most unique refrigerator door opening on the front, this just doesn't have it?

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt they could get that old design approved for use on the highways in Argentina!

New Isetta is the name BMW has attached to the concept, much like the New Beetle from VW; it is nothing like its predecessor.

Just Auto News, nothing more......

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
AMEN

OK, I will admit it is a unique, ultra compact car.
And BMW makes a great product, either cars or bikes.
But that AINT an Isetta.

The Isetta had the most unique refrigerator door opening on the front, this just doesn't have it?
I'm with you guy :D

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
Looks really unsafe... Like a golf car... does it go fast enough to be on the road? is it Electric...I'd hate to be hit by a semi in that clown car... I know I left a few out!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
You know, that can't be less safe than a motorcycle -- and with a single rear wheel, would probably be registered as one.
And BMW might have enough clout to get an exemption from helmet laws for something like that, were they to build a new one.

They'd never do it, though.

-Rusty

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,402 Posts
You know, that can't be less safe than a motorcycle -- and with a single rear wheel, would probably be registered as one.
And BMW might have enough clout to get an exemption from helmet laws for something like that, were they to build a new one.

They'd never do it, though.

-Rusty
Actually, that Isetta had four wheels. The two in the rear are only about 18-20 inches apart. If it had three wheels, then in most states, it would be classified as a motorcycle. I have a three wheel English cycle car (2F1R) and in Florida it is registered as a motorcycle.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Actually, that Isetta had four wheels. The two in the rear are only about 18-20 inches apart. If it had three wheels, then in most states, it would be classified as a motorcycle. I have a three wheel English cycle car (2F1R) and in Florida it is registered as a motorcycle.
There was a version built in the UK with 3 wheels and no reverse so it could be licensed as a motorcycle and pay lower taxes.

The canvas sunroof was actually an emergency exit for when someone parked too close to the front door. My Isetta 600 had two doors, so no sunroof.

·
17,379 Posts
Get a man that designs refrigerators to design it (that's what happened witht the original)...

Heck the Japanese companies do it all the time, hire guys that design appliances to design their machines.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts