Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I locate where in the US has inventory of new electric Cabrio. Locate inventory on the web site requires a zip code to check a dealers inventory, but I don't have all the different zip codes of all the dealers. Is there some other way to find out who has new electric Cabrio cars for sale in the US.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not all smart car dealers choose to list their inventory on Cars.com. Cars.com charges dealers a lot of money per month (relatively, for a low-profit, low selling brand) to have inventory on their website, when if you are really interested in a smart car its not difficult to find inventory on the dealership's website. Seeing as there are 27 dealers nationwide and not many nearly as many vehicles per dealership as other brands, its best to find a dealer near you when possible and have them search in Mercedes' Netstar inventory system to locate you a vehicle. We do not list our cars on Cars.com.

If you want a smart, please contact a dealership. Even the smartUSA website does not accurately show current inventory for their own dealers.

If you are not near a dealership (or not happy with the level or service you're getting at your local dealership), I'd be happy to help with a remote purchase when possible. We've helped find and sell cars to smart customers up and down the east coast and as far west as Colorado as far.

·
Registered
146 Posts
SmartCarDan, Thank you for sharing.
Could you answer these two questions?
First, A personal inquiry. Would you comment on cargurus, my favorite site.
Are you as a dealer also avoiding this site?
Second, you stated, "Seeing as there are 27 dealers nationwide"
Could you provide a list of the names and locations of the Remaining smart centers? I have not seen this in print. If we are to take your advice and search
inventory for the new 453 smart fortwo ed, we are currently frustrated by wasted attempts as we are greeted with the news, "WE are no longer a smart center but we will continue to provide warranty service, "
Daimler Benz has, to my knowledge failed to identify or credit/acknowledge the remaining "Centers".
Thank you !

·
Registered
168 Posts
SmartCarDan, Thank you for sharing.
Could you answer these two questions?
First, A personal inquiry. Would you comment on cargurus, my favorite site.
Are you as a dealer also avoiding this site?
Second, you stated, "Seeing as there are 27 dealers nationwide"
Could you provide a list of the names and locations of the Remaining smart centers? I have not seen this in print. If we are to take your advice and search
inventory for the new 453 smart fortwo ed, we are currently frustrated by wasted attempts as we are greeted with the news, "WE are no longer a smart center but we will continue to provide warranty service, "
Daimler Benz has, to my knowledge failed to identify or credit/acknowledge the remaining "Centers".
Thank you !
Cargurus is mostly great but I have a few issues with them. Their headquarters is couple miles away from me and I have friends who work there so they are aware of my grievances. They have great SEO and SEM.

They do show smart cars found at non-smart dealers as "smart certified" (meaning it should have a 5 year, million mile warranty and meets smart/MB's standards for reconditioning, tires, brakes, etc. This CPO status can only be granted by smart dealers). I pointed out to them that NON-CPO show are listed on their site as CPO but they did not care. When we did carry CPO smart cars that received THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS in reconditioning (new tires, brakes, fluids, extended warranties, new body panels, etc) their fair-price calculation didn't place any more value on those cars compared to cars with old tires/worn out brakes/scratches on body panels, etc. It makes it difficult to show the value of the extra work and warranty when customers see a car priced slightly lower and buy that one instead. I no longer carry used smarts for this reason. If customers and websites don't value the reconditioning and extra warranty, its not worth the effort to do all that work and have them in stock. We were losing money on every CPO smart we sold.

Cargurus does not separate 2017 ICE vs 2017 EVs. They list the EVs are having a 3-cylinder engine which is obviously incorrect.

Cargurus also has incorrect information on the available incentives. For example, they are showing a $750 smart incentive bonus and $1000 Get smart retail cash ($1750 total) on new 2017 smart EV purchase, when NEITHER of those rebates actually exist at all for the electric models.

Other than that, pretty great site.

I do not have a list of the 27 dealers that continue to sell EVs. I know which ones in New England are and are not staying open, but I dont pay as much attention to the rest of the country. That's a question for Keith. Supposedly they are going to list "sales/service centers" separate from just "service center only" once dealers sell out of ICE inventory nationwide.

Where are you looking?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
My advice to any smart fortwo prospective buyers

Contact the dealer of your choice;
inform the salesperson of your vehicle preference;
be prepared to accept a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choice;
if not, be prepared to wait without agitating and making a scene if the vehicle doesn't arrive on "March 6th" or any other randomly selected delivery date;
accept the fact that the smart is a niche product, and is an import from France/Germany and might take extended wait times for a specific vehicle to arrive - or it might not arrive at all exactly as planned due to the domino effect decisions in France and Germany may end up having on our product;
if the salesperson you are talking to clearly knows nothing about smart... contact me via my inbox, or somebody else who knows about these vehicles.

I am likely being extremely direct here. Just want to be as efficient as possible. There are challenges with a niche product.

·
Registered
146 Posts
SmartCarDan, You are the Man !

You shared a Great amount of information which spoke directly to my inquiry,
thank you.

I am looking broadly at the smart issues, with particular attention to where things are going. The silent/unannounced roll out of the new 2017 eds, the unwillingness to share the number and location of remaining centers. The failure to improve range and acceleration of the 453. These corporate choices are neither supportive of the remaining dealers nor are they supportive of the new or upgrading buyers. Your comment that 27 dealers remain, is news worthy.

I appreciate the detail you provided, very professional !
Please suggest to "Keith", that corporate action and inaction is being watched with curiosity and one might say, a climate of hesitation has been created.
Thank you !

·
Registered
170 Posts
I can promise my name really is Keith!

I am happy to address all of your concerns with smart, and I also understand many of your frustrations.

One of the challenges of working on smart is that we have very limited resources. We sell a few thousand $20k cars annually across an entire continent, so our coffers are not deep. You could say they're smart-sized ;)

With that said, we do as much as we can to actively promote our cars. We hold national press drive events, are present at every major auto show, run constant targeted and social media marketing, and are even hosting a drive event next week in San Francisco. We will never have the presence of the Toyotas and Hondas, but we try our darnedest.

We are also extremely proud of our new 453 electric. It has shown up in national media, and we've sent as many units as we can out for testing and promotion. The 0-60 acceleration of the 453 is identical to the 451, but keep in mind the 453 is also hundreds of pounds heavier. It's 3.9" wider, has more standard content, higher use of high-strength steel, and even has 4 extra lugnuts. We've lowered the base MSRP $1,200 while adding equipment, cutting the 240V charging time in half, and adding a real, honest-to-God battery warranty.

With that said, care was taken to keep the car light and efficient. The battery, while also 17.6 kWh, is 44 lbs lighter than the 451's. While we were disappointed with the EPA range rating as well, I'd still like to point out that the 453 used a different testing cycle than the 451 including battery degradation - meaning on the same cycle, the 453 does have a slight range advantage over the old car.

We do listen to our customers, and I regret that you feel that way. I know your sentiments with that are shared by many, and that's one of the main reasons I wanted to join this site. But I also want to remind you I am not an engineer or a designer, and I try to do my best to make today's product the best it can be while trying to influence tomorrow's to be even better. smart USA is a small cog in the smart machine, and our annual sales are often less than that of some European cities alone!

Thank you for your contributions to this site. I do listen.

Best,
Keith

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,762 Posts
Well said, smartAPM (Keith)!

. . . that corporate action and inaction is being watched with curiosity and one might say, a climate of hesitation has been created.
Really no need to shoot the (3ish) smart "messengers" that frequent SCoA.

Some of us have been in this for the long haul and have weathered the PAG to M-B to all ED transitions and realize that we are fortunate that The Captain brought smart to the U.S. and that they still have their albeit "broken" smart oar in the water!

That being said, our "messengers" earn their paychecks from The Brand and as such are walking a very fine line as to what they can or should share.

Be thankful that we get an occasional "smart nugget" as they can be few and far between - through no fault of our three amigos!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree,
Our dealer friends have answered the questions we pose to the best of their ability. I, like you, am grateful and also sympathetic that they have remained as smart center dealers at a time when their appears to be many compromises in the product and its marketing.
You, who read these posts and are buyers and avid supporters of the brand deserve to have answers to questions about the current and future status of smart.

Fundamental to your/our right to know is the question, how many smart centers remain, selling the 2017 smart fortwo ed, and where are they located?

The logical person with this answer is Keith/aka smartAPM, who is employed by MB to develop marketing plans. Keith is a fan of the smart, I know him to be cleancut, articulate, smart and an energetic young man. He is busy with his additional oversight of marketing for the C-class and GLC-class cars in addition to smart. However, if there is anyone in a position to know the answer to the question posed above, it is Keith.

So, if you agree with me that We should have a right to know,,,Forgive me if I suggest that Keith should provide the information without us worrying that he might have hurt feelings for being asked.

His job is Marketing. We are the market !

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,762 Posts
Fundamental to your/our right to know is the question, how many smart centers remain, selling the 2017 smart fortwo ed, and where are they located?

Forgive me if I suggest that Keith should provide the information without us worrying that he might have hurt feelings for being asked.
Search for a dealer to view their inventory and contact info.

https://www.smartusa.com/dealer-inventory

Don't think this is about "hurt feelings" as until CEO Annette Winkler and Daimler CEO Dieter Zetschehe approve such a list, the U.S. map with City/ZIP lookup is as good as it gets.

·
Registered
146 Posts
What have we here?

Of course, You must know that the site you provided is worthless. You may ring phones off the wall all day as you are told, "We are no longer a smart center but we will continue to provide warranty service for the next 4 years from a date in April of this year 2017."

But thank you for confriming the obvious which makes my point.

We are not allowed to know, but while hiding the facts you would like us to just keep the faith and keep buying !

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good News-----Thank you Keith !

This morning, October 4, 2017, Keith/aka/smartAPM, responded to the request
to provide a complete list of the remaining smart Centers, in the USA.

Please refer to his post Below :

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Today, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
smartAPM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)

smart EV Dealers
Hello All,

While our smartusa.com dealer locator tool undergoes changes as our dealer network shifts, I am now able to provide the full list of remaining sales dealers who can sell the 453 electric. Please note this list is accurate as of 10/4/2017, and all dealers not listed that previously sold gasoline 453s will stay with the brand as service/warranty centers.

• smart Center Laguna Niguel - Laguna Niguel, CA
  • smart Center West Covina - West Covina, CA
  • smart Center San Diego - San Diego, CA
  • smart Center San Francisco - San Francisco, CA
  • smart Center Westminster - Westminster, CO
  • smart Center Coral Gables - Coral Gables, FL
  • smart Center Cutler Bay - Cutler Bay, FL
  • smart Center Naples - Naples, FL
  • smart Center Buckhead - Atlanta, GA
  • smart Center Honolulu - Honolulu, HI
  • smart Center Lincolnwood - Lincolnwood, IL
  • Tafel Motors Inc - Louisville, KY
  • smart Center Lynnfield - Lynnfield, MA
  • smart Center Boston - Somerville, MA
  • Euro Motorcars - Bethesda, MD
  • Prime Motor Cars - Scarborough, ME
  • Benzel-Busch smart Center - Englewood, NJ
  • Ray Catena smart Center Edison - Edison, NJ
  • smart Center Manhattan - New York, NY
  • smart Center Buffalo - Williamsville, NY
  • smart Center Easton - Columbus, OH
  • smart Center Portland - Portland, OR
  • smart Center San Juan - Carolina, PR
  • smart Center Charleston - Charleston, SC
  • smart Center Knoxville - Knoxville, TN
  • smart Center Sugar Land - Sugar Land, TX
  • Tysinger Motor Co. - Hampton, VA
If you're currently shopping for a 453 smart electric, be sure to work with these fantastic dealer partners!

-Keith

1 - 18 of 18 Posts