Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lived all my life here in southern New England. That said, I've not nearly explored the northeast as much as I might.

suggestions on rally points of interest, coffee shops, and such that might lend in some future 'smart' gathering, day trip, tour hmm?

:)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Another New Englander here.

I'm sure by late spring/early summer there will be enough cars around here to do some sort of rally,(ie) "Poker Run" encrypted directions making you drive thought lovely parts to pick up 1 card and new directions for the next location(7 in all). there are 3 winners, 3rd place closest to actual time, 2nd place closest actual mileage, and 1st prize best poker hand.

Just a thought

ASM

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Yup, done that and other sorts of low-pressure, fun, "gimmick" rallys. They often terminate at some very nice inn or restaurant, or at a vinyard or park whence the plaid blankets and wicker picnic hampers come out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have some great spots here in CT...

Harkness Memorial Park here in New London is the most beautiful ocean side spot you can imagine. Situated right on the ocean, with massive fields for kite flying, small beach, picnic areas, and historical mansion on the grounds. Would make a great place for a smart rally/day picnic. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
covert mission

yeah so xmas day covert operation will be to snoop around the East Hartford CT dealership to mark (camera in hand of course) progress...

this message will magically disappear from the readers mind (wantingly or not) in as long as it takes for eyes to adjust from light to dark....

--------

Covert rental car used in this mission:

Traveling south down rt 91, coming closer to the important exit:

Aha!

Hmm, what model number is smart four hundred somthing....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pt2

Lets see, today is sunday.... damnit, no hours posted! (oh wait, this is supposed to be covert, nm)

Anti Spy Windows were in operation (ok, maybe not anti spy, this is the southern side of the building)

Anti Spy Windows deactivated (ok, perhaps unfinished)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pt3

Looking left, forward... wait a sec, whats this on the right... hey could it be... did they get a demo already????

Dashing (spyishly) around the corner for a closer look!

Yep, things appear to be unfinished:

until next destination...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
newport RI
gloucester, MA
cape cod, MA or the islands Martha's Vineyard or nantuckett - be cool to see a whole ferry of smarts
Portland, ME
portsmouth, NH
woodstock, VT
waterbury, VT - home of ben&jerry's ice cream

·
Registered
364 Posts
OOOooOooo, I live in portsmouth NH - its gorgeous - also the NH beaches are pretty too :) Let me know when you think you are around!

·
Registered
93 Posts
America's Stonehenge in Salem, NH. Love it there.
Wind Tiki restaurant in Webster, MA. Good Polynesian food. :)
The Wolf Den in Pomfret, CT, where the last wolf in CT was killed.
Salem, MA is always a neat day trip...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Two things...

First thing, I like the suggestions in this thread, and it might be nice to take a poll on what would be the top three spots of interest. if we can get a concensus, we are that much closer to a meet? also, three best weekends upcoming as your respective schedules allow (and if there is a preference between Sat/Sun)?

Secound thing, I posted a comment in the chapter thread requesting a New England Chapter, that all of the threads here in the Northeast that seem to be within the New England region, somehow possibly get moved under the new chapter of New England. How does that sound?

·
Banned
37 Posts
Sounds good Ifish, we're due for our own chapter.

Looking at the smart dealerships in New England and assuming that the bulk of the smarts are owned in the general areas of those dealerships, I think it would be nice to meet at a location that is central-ish to these geographic areas.

Here are my candidates to go along with the others....
Mystic, CT
Newport, RI
Plymouth, MA (cape cod feel without having to actually go onto the cape)

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Boston MA

How about the city of Boston? There is a lot of history there. Here is a site for the Boston area.

A poll about places would be great. One could use the locations mentioned in this forum for the poll.

I aways considered New Jersey to be in the Mid-Atlantic area than the Northeast area. :cool: When one thinks of the Mid-Atlantic states, one thinks of New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sometimes, all i want to do, is go for a day drive, perhaps to a restaurant like:

Abbots in Noank, CT

its informal, outdoor dining, and quality eats.

And then (a bit more upscale) there is:

Its Only Natural Middletown, CT

I try to plan a visit when I know the weather is gonna cooperate allowing me to dine on the outside deck, again lending to a certain informal posture.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts