Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not do "cage" if I can avoid it. Had a 2000 Suzuki LS650 Savage, 2004 to 2012 when I killed it by neglecting oil.

Getting old, didn't want to swing over a saddle, got a new 2012 Vespa LX150. Cool little scoot, does 65+ mph on the freeways, does jes' fine on trips on the Interstates.

Getting old, starting to miss things, like a groove on the pavement that tossed a front wheel to the right. Road rash, torn slacks, a bit of a bother. Two months later I looked forward, looked back, looked forward at a stopped vehicle, braked, down. This time less road rash, but torn shoulder ligament and four broken ribs. That was about four weeks ago.

A motorcycle is safer than a cage -- smaller, more agile, no blind spots, can escape hazards that will catch a cage; hence less change of having a collision. Unfortunately, if you do screw up, it hurts. I figure I should sell the scoot before I kill myself or, worse, alive in pain.

Don't need speed. DO need air. Like upright. Don't need passengers. Got a Smart. (you can see my blog, the forum will not allow me to post links or pictures.)

2013, softtop, 6K miles. Weird vehicle. A manual transmission with an automatic clutch -- but I started with a '53 Dodge with a Gyromatic two speed automatic transmission coupled to a two speed manual transmission/clutch. A bit small, but had a 1300 pound '61 Sprite with a liter four cylinder. A lot bigger and faster than my Vespa.

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Welcome to SCoA.

I had a Vespa moped some four decades ago. Wrecked it when I took a right turn too fast and clobbered a car sitting there waiting to turn onto the road I was turning off of. I actually had it repaired, but it was never the same. Haven't had anything motorized with fewer than four wheels since.

smart kind of carries the "cage" to the extreme with its hardened steel crash cage, aka 'Tridion cell'. I like having it there. It's not so much that I don't trust my own faculties, but there are some insanely stupid drivers out there who are out to kill you, literally!

Hope you'll enjoy your smart as much as I have enjoyed mine for the past eight years!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... It's not so much that I don't trust my own faculties, but there are some insanely stupid drivers out there who are out to kill you, literally!....
The drivers were worse in the past. In the early '80's they got serious about training new riders/drivers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finding neat features. Have the base radio, no maps, no CD. Means it has a small drawer under the radio, just perfect for hiding my Jordan Almonds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts