Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I got a call from a fellow smart owner who recently got a 2008 passion and has been working on it. He decided to take it to the dealer for a coolant flush. They also found a wheel bearing that was making some noise (RF) He asked them to give it the once over. They replaced the bearing and he was on his way. a few days later, he drove it on a short trip ( a few hundred miles) and he found the Right front brake disk was extremely HOT. Hot enough that you didn't want to touch it, while the Left front rotor was noticeably cooler. After returning home, He found them to be about the same temperature. The Right front brake is now making a grinding noise , I suspect the pad is gone.

The question is..... when the dealer replaced the bearing, wouldn't they have to remove the caliper and rotor? If so, it seems strange that it would have locked up shortly afterwards. And if the pad was close to the end of its life span, wouldn't they have said it needed replacement????

I haven't seen it yet but there seems to be some serious questions here. I would have expected more from a Mercedes/smart dealer. They did give him a loaner smart since they ended up keeping it overnight. Funny that they would give a Passion owner a Pure as a loaner vehicle.

I should mention that his car has around 90K miles on it so worn out brakes shouldn't be ruled out. They did have the opportunity to check it over, and brakes are easily checked...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yes, they would need to remove the caliper and rotor to do a bearing. Also while doing the bearing, if he needed brakes they would have let him know. Its also good to note that the side that got hot was on the same side as the one that the bearing was changed.

Did he not notice any pulling? Normally if the brakes were locked up, you would notice pulling (in this case to the right). I would definitely hold the dealer accountable for piss poor work.

·
Super Moderator
11,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, he did say they replaced the 'steering knuckle' (their words)

He didn't say he noticed a pull and he would have noticed that I believe. Sounds to me like they didn't clean up tha calipers before putting them back in place.

The dealer also mentioned a cracked flex pipe, and the owner did think it was a bit louder than my Pure. Anybody got a leftover exhaust from an upgrade??

·
Registered
211 Posts
....sometimes you just get caught short :-(

On my Jeep a few years ago....

I had to take the calipers off to do some work

When I put the caliper back on.... a few miles down the road I noticed a stink

When I pulled over my brakes where damn near on fire....

The stupid caliper was seizing on

I didn't do anything to cause it

Just timing.... (maybe a bit of grime got in, who knows)

So I changed the caliper and off I went :)

Some times its not some bodies fault is just the way it works out

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
The dealer also mentioned a cracked flex pipe, and the owner did think it was a bit louder than my Pure. Anybody got a leftover exhaust from an upgrade??
I need one of those soon too, Dealer said the "kit" was over $200

My smart has the sound of an aftermarket system.

·
17,363 Posts
Smart Madness usually has take offs from upgrades, give them a call! :)

·
Super Moderator
11,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Done at Rochester. Got the phone message today on the results, They took it apart and said there were signs that it had gotten hot, but no explanations why. everything was functioning OK now. they recommended changing the brakes and rotor since it showed signs of overheating. He declined as we could do the job for much less here at home (replace rotors and pads)

They did lube up the caliper and check the rear shield for indications of rubbing but found none. Guess it will be one of those mysteries of life...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts