Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd start a new thread for us 453 owners who've now had our gas tank/sensor replaced. A post-fix thread.

What kind of fill-capacity improvements are you getting?

Mine – not so good:

My first post-fix fill to the cutoff was at one bar, no low-fuel light. I could only add 6 gallons.

Tonight I filled again. This time the low-fuel light indicated 1.1 gallons left. I could add just 6.367 gallons to the cutoff.

When the low-fuel light shows 1.1 gallons left, is that indicative of the entire capacity, including the reserve? If so, the new capacity seems to be less than 7.5 total gallons.

Not feeling good about this. Only got 210 miles of range from this tank, barely better than before.

Have I miscalculated something? Who else can report some post-fix stats for comparison?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Anything over 4.5 gallons from the low fuel indicator would be an improvement for me. That number 6 right there ... never seen it, even with slow fill top off. What you are getting now is pretty much what I was getting with my 451; I only came close to 7 gallons if I was at the very end of the low fuel counter.

Have you tried to top off after the auto shut off?

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,754 Posts
Since there apparently is no baseline expectation for "the fix" - is there anyone with a "proper" 453 who can report their OEM "factory installed" tank/gauge experience?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since there apparently is no baseline expectation for "the fix" - is there anyone with a "proper" 453 who can report their OEM "factory installed" tank/gauge experience?

Anecdotally, it seems that all 2016s had bad tank sensors.

A 2017 Cabrio might give a clue, but someone said the tank capacity is listed at 9.2 for that model, which seems odd.

·
Registered
341 Posts

A 2017 Cabrio might give a clue, but someone said the tank capacity is listed at 9.2 for that model, which seems odd.
If they all have it (and I suspect you are right), then why are we all forced to go into the dealership for a scan first (which for some people -- not me, btw -- is a significant burden given how few and far between Smart dealerships actually are)? Again, more evidence, IMHO, of SmartUSA's disrespect for its customers.

BTW, the tank is on back-order and there's no word from MB/Smart when it will be back in stock (per Cherry Hill).

·
Premium Member
7,754 Posts
Odd, based on the chatter on SCoA I thought that MY16 brought BOTH functional and non-functional 453 tanks?

So an entire year of production vehicles are impacted and many owners don't even know?

So gotta ask, is this U.S. only or N.A.? :shrug:

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let's try to keep this thread about POST-fix info, please. We already have a thread started for PRE-fix discussions.

I meant this thread for us post-fixers to compare and see whether the fix lives up to its promise. I don't believe it does.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just heard back from my service advisor.

There is a new issue with the new sensor: It is reading the reserve capacity incorrectly.

Sounds a lot like the original issue – déjà vu?

No timeline on a fix (go figure!), but MB/smart is aware of the problem and (ahem) working (cough, cough) on it.

Let me be the first to assure everyone that the fix-to-the-fix will be available... wait for it... soon.

·
Super Moderator
28,960 Posts
I can't believe smart is screwing this up by the numbers but that seems to be the case. Maybe the 2018s won't have the issue....:shrug:

·
Premium Member
7,754 Posts
Wishing you all luck as I'm DONE with any further 453 tank repair (new or old) commentary. This subject may rival crazed roofs . . .

Got my own ED challenges.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Just heard back from my service advisor.

There is a new issue with the new sensor: It is reading the reserve capacity incorrectly.

Sounds a lot like the original issue – déjà vu?

No timeline on a fix (go figure!), but MB/smart is aware of the problem and (ahem) working (cough, cough) on it.

Let me be the first to assure everyone that the fix-to-the-fix will be available... wait for it... soon.
No. Words.:bangwall:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Hmm... now i'm wondering if i even want to go through with my appointment at Smart Center Devon next week to see about getting a new tank. Would save me 2.5 hours of drive time to get nothing done only to have to take another 2.5 hour drive at some point in the near future to get it replaced.... now to only have to go down AGAIN to get something ELSE fixed. :-/

·
Registered
665 Posts
So it sounds like 2016's were the Beta testers and that the tests are ongoing. What follows Beta? :(

It would be nice if our resident MB USA guru could leverage some propriety information and help out the herd. :|

It has to be frustrating. No, let me rephrase that - it is frustrating and shouldn't be. Some folks across the pond did not do their due diligence it appears.

Now we will have to wait and see how many new Cabby owners jump in with the same issue. Fingers crossed - NONE.:eek:

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I thought I'd start a new thread for us 453 owners who've now had our gas tank/sensor replaced. A post-fix thread.

What kind of fill-capacity improvements are you getting?

Mine – not so good:

My first post-fix fill to the cutoff was at one bar, no low-fuel light. I could only add 6 gallons.

Tonight I filled again. This time the low-fuel light indicated 1.1 gallons left. I could add just 6.367 gallons to the cutoff.

When the low-fuel light shows 1.1 gallons left, is that indicative of the entire capacity, including the reserve? If so, the new capacity seems to be less than 7.5 total gallons.

Not feeling good about this. Only got 210 miles of range from this tank, barely better than before.

Have I miscalculated something? Who else can report some post-fix stats for comparison?
I was at low fuel light with 1.1 gallons remaining and put 8.9 gallons in. It took a little while but I'm used to it with 5 years in my 450. No fuel on the ground. I got pretty good at estimating how much gas would fit in my 450 by the level remaining. Not a big deal.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts