Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new exhaust about a week ago.
This is exhaust build by Matt from Genius Parts (supporting vendor)

I wanted something different and it is MUST be with a flex connector.
I loved my BPP, but unfortunately it is an older version without a flex pipe.

It is a third time I am installing the exhaust, so this time it took me only 20 minutes to install the new system.

Here is more pics.

I also bought spare rear valance, but did not used it, because my cutout from my previous exhaust worked fine IMHO. Matt from Genius included cutout template for this particular tip (I might cut the new valance in the future with his template, because I think it might look a little bit better if cutout will be closer to the exhaust tip).

Here is a nice touch....

I driving with this exhaust for a few days now and here what I observed.
It is have a similar design as BPP, but it is little bit quieter. It is hard to explain, but it have softer and nicer prrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......... if thats makes sense.
Also, as you can see from the photos, tip is sitting higher then on my old exhaust and protrudes beyond rear valance only inch or so. Sometimes I back-in my smart all the way to the curb, with this exhaust it is will be impossible to damage the tip or the exhaust.

So far I love it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

CUBE

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That exhaust looks killer. Cube, you are the Maestro of Mods.

I just noticed something funny. Have you noticed its resemblance to a certain animal's trunk tip? :)

lol
No need in the flex pipe!!!!! Genuine elephant trunks exhausts!!!!!:D

Just kidding, love the elephants.....:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice job Cube. Looks 'smart'.

Agree that the cutout could definitely be a little shaplier to the new design - hardly an urgent job though.

Also, can't help but feel it would benefit from a powder-coating session......

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
YEA....LOOKS AWESOME! :cool:

Does the exhaust kit come with a template to cut out the lower valance and does it come with that 'bezel' around it?

·
Registered
243 Posts
wow,

really like it. been looking for a single oval tip. how much? hope it is cheaper than the evil twin oval.

i do not see this on the site. is it going to be ready soon for the site store?

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
That looks AWESOME Cube!!!!! I LIKE!

Now take it out and run it at around 85mph for around 5 hours give or take and let us know if you can break it. Curious how it'll stand up with the flew pipe.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice job Cube. Looks 'smart'.

Agree that the cutout could definitely be a little shaplier to the new design - hardly an urgent job though.

Also, can't help but feel it would benefit from a powder-coating session......
Will cut new valance later this week. And you reading my mind! My older exhaust where powdercoated black.
I want to paint valances and rocker panels red before I will do anything to the new exhaust. I think it will make it stand out more.

CUBE

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wow!
Have been here for almost a year and just figured out how to "Multi Quote" :)
Looks very good IMHO; what did you trim the cutout with? :)

BTW, nice website!
I did that particular cutout with Dremel, month ago for the BPP center exit exhaust.

YEA....LOOKS AWESOME! :cool:

Does the exhaust kit come with a template to cut out the lower valance and does it come with that 'bezel' around it?
Yep, Matt included cutout and bezel. If anyone remembers I was one of the firsts ones here to use car door trims for the exhaust cutouts.
Here is my old post. Genius using some very thick molding trim. I like it a lot. It is looks much better then my older trim and easier to install.

wow,

really like it. been looking for a single oval tip. how much? hope it is cheaper than the evil twin oval.

i do not see this on the site. is it going to be ready soon for the site store?
My exhaust is one of the first Genius made. The price is $485. Site should be updated by Wednesday with more pictures and detailed installation instructions.

That looks AWESOME Cube!!!!! I LIKE!

Now take it out and run it at around 85mph for around 5 hours give or take and let us know if you can break it. Curious how it'll stand up with the flew pipe.
Have you been spying on me????
I am actually driving to Miami tomorrow morning. So I will have 400 miles run on the Turnpike!!! Cant wait!:D

CUBE

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Hey guys and gals,
The exhaust system should be on the web site in a day or two. I am very proud of this product. It has taken the most time and money to develop out of all of my products. The entire system is fabricated from very thick .065 stainless steel tubing. There is a very flexy flex joint and I am TIG welding all of the joints so it should never ever break. Cube got the first one, the one that I built the jig off of.
I am going to start building these tomorrow and It's going to be first come first serve for a little bit, right now I have enough materials to make 10.
The price is going to be $485 plus $25 for shipping. They will come with instructions, a template for the valance, trim for the cut in the valance, and a sticker!
Thanks,
Matt Boesch

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,102 Posts
I am actually driving to Miami tomorrow morning. So I will have 400 miles run on the Turnpike!!! Cant wait!:D

Fully awesome look! I can't wait for the roadtrip test results. How about some roadtrip video to hear the sound in/out of your car? :eek:

I've got my wife pretty much convinced, but she won't be thrilled if it's much louder than stock (commuter vehicle). :(

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Looks extremely nice, and one of my favourites so far.

As an aside, hopefully, as additional products hit the scene and sales and competition increase, prices will come down to a more reasonable level.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts

CUBE
BE CAREFUL!!!!

Lots of unmarked cars!!

If you need any tips on how to break an exhaust I'm here. Gotten quite good at it. :)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am back from Miami. Drove around 75-80, in some places I pushed my "surfmobile" to the max and I love the how exhaust sound. Do not get me wrong, my old BP exhaust is a great product, I think I just wanted something different. Inspected everything after the trip and did not find anything unusual. By the way Genius logo on the tip of the exhaust is not a sticker, but Laser engraved.

I will keep you updated.

CUBE

1 - 20 of 43 Posts