Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old video camera was starting to give me problems, so I was considering a new video camera... Luck was on my side, because Circuit City put the Samsung SC-HMX-20c HD video camera on sale for $550, list is $850.

It turned out that almost all the Circuit Cities in my area had sold out of this model, but I found a Circuit City about 30 miles from my house that had one in stock. Long story, short, I got the camera and have been playing around with it...

It records SD (Standard Definition) and HD (High Definition) 1080/60i and 1080/30p.

In addition it records in slow motion; the catch is that's it's only in SD (448x336), BUT slow motion is really cool. Here's a short test video I made in slow motion...

Bob Diaz

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Pretty cool Bob! I recently upgraded too, with a Sony HDR-SR11. It's supposed to do slow motion, limited to 30 seconds real time. But, I haven't yet played with that feature. From what I've seen on YouTube, my camera's slow Mo isn't as slow as what you posted. I've been playing with time lapse and having fun with that. That's not a function of the camera though, it's software.

Thanks for sharing, have fun! :) (Ain't technology keen?)
Hope you don't mind me sharing some of my efforts here.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Back in the 1980s I had access to a $15,000 editing system through work. It could do basic cut editing, audio/video inserts, and that's all it did. Today, a $500 computer with a $99 editing package would beat that system several times over. Amazing isn't it?

Bob Diaz

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
...soooo coool guys....
....let the smart video WAR begin....2 videos each and we'll let the maniacs here vote on it....the winner gets free bragging rights for a year...

jetfuel

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Two things I like about this video. First, it's just a cloudy day, the clouds at real speed are an amorphous mass, not so at 80x normal speed. Another thing I like is the waves which traverse the stratus, from 0:53-1:01, and from 2:11 to 2:17. That second 'wave' might actually be a shaddow, I'm not sure, but I think it is a wave. In any case, more interesting at 80x normal speed. There's no way you'd notice either of them at real time.

·
17,363 Posts
Oh I love time lapse video. I think the slo-mo in the 1st one is 500fps. As far as the day capture lapse videos... VERY NICE!

I myself have upgraded from a crappy kodak 2mp digital camera to a youtube ready HD camcorder with decent features. But it's missing a memory stickto record onto. (it only takes memory sticks :() (parents are not technology friendly) (I asked for one with a hard drive but I'm happy with what I got:) ).

I'm wanting to get started with recording but I need to know the maximum GBs on SD HC cards currently available on the market.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I'm wanting to get started with recording but I need to know the maximum GBs on SD HC cards currently available on the market.
I'm not sure it's the maximum, but 8GB is available. 8GB SanDisk Video HD SDHC Card - SDSDHV008GA15 - Flash Memory Store
Amazingly cheap, if you ask me. But, if I were you, I'd read your documentation before ordering to make sure your camera can recognize the full capacity, or even recognize an 8 GB card at all. My old digital still camera couldn't see a 4 GB card.

·
17,363 Posts
I'm not sure it's the maximum, but 8GB is available. 8GB SanDisk Video HD SDHC Card - SDSDHV008GA15 - Flash Memory Store
Amazingly cheap, if you ask me. But, if I were you, I'd read your documentation before ordering to make sure your camera can recognize the full capacity, or even recognize an 8 GB card at all. My old digital still camera couldn't see a 4 GB card.
I found out the most it can take 32GB.
-That also happens to be the most GBs for that card on the market.

Now I need to find out what store sells it (no luck so far :( )

Toys R' Us has a 16GB one that would suit my camcorder well. But I'll search for the 32GB until they come in stock. (possibly weeks)

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I found out the most it can take 32GB.
-That also happens to be the most GBs for that card on the market.

Now I need to find out what store sells it (no luck so far :( )

Toys R' Us has a 16GB one that would suit my camcorder well. But I'll search for the 32GB until they come in stock. (possibly weeks)
You're good to go. No need to buy the 32 GB card now, the highest capacity of course will be the most expensive per byte. Full blown HD is only a couple GB per hour.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh I love time lapse video. I think the slo-mo in the 1st one is 500fps. As far as the day capture lapse videos... VERY NICE!

I myself have upgraded from a crappy kodak 2mp digital camera to a youtube ready HD camcorder with decent features. But it's missing a memory stickto record onto. (it only takes memory sticks :() (parents are not technology friendly) (I asked for one with a hard drive but I'm happy with what I got:) ).

I just noticed that I never said what the speed of the slow motion was... Sorry, it's 300 FPS (Frames Per Second).

The time lapse video seems to have 2 layers in the clouds the first lower layer seems to pass away leaving the second upper layer.

As a side thought, has anyone ever put a video camera in their car and done a time lapse of them driving down a long road? Even just a 10x or 20x is funny.

Bob Diaz

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
As a side thought, has anyone ever put a video camera in their car and done a time lapse of them driving down a long road? Even just a 10x or 20x is funny.
Odd you should ask, LOL. Bob, you should know I would have done this. Did you too? Or, are you thinking about doing it?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A long time ago in a ...., well back in the days of Super 8 movie cameras and 8mm movie cameras, that was one of the fun things I loved to do. One or two frames per second would really speed up the freeways of LA. :D

I haven't done it in video, but that would be fun to do again.

Bob Diaz

·
17,363 Posts
...300 FPS...

Bob Diaz
I was just 200 FPS off! :)

BTW - Before I got my camcorder, I had the idea of recording a couple drives when I get my car. It's almost like you read my mind! :eek:

·
17,363 Posts
Odd you should ask, LOL. Bob, you should know I would have done this. Did you too? Or, are you thinking about doing it?
That was a nice movie, I could make 1000 comments but it was very good!

What model Ford was that? I'm amazed that you weren't driving the smart!

Funniest Moments:

1. The streets there are in a lot better condition than in here in Illinois. :eek:

2. The Manufactured home took up like 2 lanes. :D

3. Someone got out of their car during the traffic jam! :D

4. There was little mice like music and voices in the background. :D

5. It seemed like you couldn't keep up with the FedEx truck. :D

Good Time Lapse! Five Starz

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
That was a rental, 2007 Ford Mustang. I didn't get my smart until nearly a year later. I did that on my vacation to Oregon/Washington, in August 2007. Thanks for the comments!

·
17,363 Posts
That was a rental, 2007 Ford Mustang. I didn't get my smart until nearly a year later. I did that on my vacation to Oregon/Washington, in August 2007. Thanks for the comments!
Yeah I saw the Ford sticker and the overall size was waaay too large to be a smart! :)

900mph = :rofl:

I also find out that my camcorder has a very nice time lapse function so all I'll have to do is upload the video to my pc, load up the software, and just adjust the time to how I want it to be. I'll probably time lapse my 1st (without parents) road trip.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I thought others might like to see the 300 FPS footage of an egg I shot with a 22. This would just be a blink of the eye, but at 300 FPS, you can see the gunk flying all over the place.

Bob Diaz

1 - 20 of 20 Posts