Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I didn't say you disagreed with anything Jo. Just trying to share what I understood. So if they cancel their smart dealership, even if the parts people try, I don't think they can get the parts....

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
BTW-. I'm guessing in the bankruptcy proceedings of GM, they promised to provide parts for 10 years so the judge would grant the bankruptcy filing....

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,697 Posts
smart Centers that are now "shuttered" with NO sales/service gave up their smart Franchise and likely are unable to order parts?

With so many "world" cars built outside of the United States using parts from subcontractors, don't think that the 10 year "promise" could hold up in court?

Kind of like so many "Lifetime Warranties" - whose life?

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
smart Centers that are now "shuttered" with NO sales/service gave up their smart Franchise and likely are unable to order parts?

With so many "world" cars built outside of the United States using parts from subcontractors, don't think that the 10 year "promise" could hold up in court?

Kind of like so many "Lifetime Warranties" - whose life?
I registered a K&N filter under my 12 year old son's name...

Just order from the online smart parts store Johannesl found (cheapest) and resell to customer.

Problem solved....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
wow came back to quite the discussion here!

My guess is that they let their SmartCar certification expire or something. I'm not totally sure how that works though. Luckily there are several others in my area. I gave another dealership a call and they were happy to get me setup with an OEM armrest. It's on order now, no idea ETA for its arrival, but at least parts are not impossible to get yet.

My weekend driver is even more difficult to get OEM parts for, so I'm not totally un-used to waiting, or getting creative to find parts.

·
Registered
800 Posts
That's a very strange business model Mercedes has in the US marketplace.
In Canada all Mercedes dealers are also smart dealers...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I was told that most MB dealers are dropping SMART except on the West Coast where they still sell well. I knew that when I bought my first one and it still wasn't a deal breaker. they said they'd still service them for like the next 5 years before fully dropping them.

That information was provided to me by only one dealership, so im not sure how accurate it is across others.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Of the 87 former smart Centers,,,,, 27 agreed to continue and sell the new electric smart 453. All of the former Centers who chose not to continue were contracted to continue providing "Service", for 4 years from a date of record
in April, 2017. What happens after this date in 2020,,,,,no one knows for sure. However, at least one former Center in Southern California that services twice as many smarts as they ever sold, says that they appreciate
the business and are not anxious to see it go away.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
All of the former Centers who chose not to continue were contracted to continue providing "Service", for 4 years from a date of record
in April, 2017. What happens after this date in 2020,,,,,no one knows for sure.
Just to clarify, 4 years from 2016? Or 2021? Or 3 years?

Thanks! (I'm afraid I'm not so good at adding and subtracting).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Your math is obviousl better than mine. Please forgive my error.

The "Contract" agreed to by the 60 smart Centers, who chose not to sell the New all electric smart 453, was from April 2017, for 4 years which would be until April 2021. The 27 Centers that are selling the 453, are assuming warranty service for the cars they sell and we assume will therefore continue to provide servicing to all smart cars, until,
the END comes?

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
If looking for oem, I believe this would be what you’re trying to find.

Not sure on exact part number but this looks like it is it.

https://www.genuinemercedesparts.com/oem-parts/smart-armrest-45368052031c53/?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9Y2VudGVyLWNvbnNvbGUmaT05MDExMjQwNSZyPTEyJmE9c21hcnQmbz1mb3J0d28meT0yMDE2JnQ9cHJpbWUmZT0wLTlsLWwzLWdhcw==

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ah perfect, thanks! ill order it this evening.
UH OH! I THINK THAT ONE IS WHITE!!! (In my defense we were flying to Cleveland the evening of these posts...)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts