Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I have designed and fabricated this brush bar style pod mount which can be used in both 45° and straight configurations, run in parallel for optimum brightness and a waterproof terminal.

It uses factoryn license plate mounts and factory undercarriage mounts. It is very sturdy and very bright. Unfortunately the connectors are back ordered and will be in in August (all the boating supply stores are closed by me) so I do not have it fully connected yet but it is 99.9%

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It uses a high quality wiring loom made by me that is heat and abrasion resistant, pictured here without the waterproof terminal yet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And is easy to install with basic tools, you need a step drill for 2 holes, one in the plastic of the lower grill. another in the firewall for your interior cutoff switch (ground control, not voltage)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then you snake the wiring harness between the headlight assembly and above the radiator mount.
and tuck it beneath these 2 rubber lines

Then you can remove the bulb access port to see what you're doing, and reach your hand under the wheel liner to snake the wiring into your hole in the grill

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once this is done use needle nose pliers and your fingertips to snake the harness to the center and pull through the slack.

At this point you'll need to either remove the air dam entirely or cut slots with a Dremel (I just cut slots but will likely remove this dam if I ever get around to getting a front splitter made and going a little lower)

Then mount the left and right vertical brush bar arms using the stock 10mm undercarriage bolts and your standard self tap license plate bolts (you can use Molly bolts as I did if it doesn't seem sturdy enough for you, but be warned there's not enough room to properly engage the Molly bolts using the standard thread compression method so I smashed them down with gentle Taps on a hammer using the crash bar behind the bumper, if you mess this up you'll have to remove the bumper to cut the messed up fastener off so be very careful (I pre fatigued the bend points to make it less likely to mess up)

At this point you can mount the aluminum tube with 1/4 20 machine screws and connect the waterproof connector (not pictured, they aren't in yet)

Then you can wire up your ground wire to a switch (the wiring harness has extra ground wire length to use a ground interruption circuit for safety) and put it in your desired location
Then connect the crimped terminal to the + battery sensor stud. At this point you should be done beside aiming and whatnot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts