Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone. I currently have a 2009 Smart ForTwo Pasion in black, with silver safety cell on hold for me at a dealership in the area, and I told one of my friends this, and he seems really pissed off with me. I had just recently bought a 1991 Geo Storm wagonback, but it isn't working out for me. It's too low for an overweight guy like me to get in an out of, it gets less than 30 mpg hwy, and it has a 3spd automatic transmission. The AC went out 15 minutes after I bought it, and the car is just completely unenjoyable. My best friend seems to not understand any of my reasons for wanting a Smart Car. He thinks I'm paying too much for "how much" car I'm getting (which is 10599.00) I test drove the ForTwo Passion today and instantly fell in love with it because I've done my research. I understand how the transmission works, and knowing that before I ever got into the car enabled me to shift through the gears smoothly with the paddle shifters. I love the air conditioning, the radio, the visibility, the high ride height and ease of getting in and out of it. Is there anything you guys can tell me that would make me feel better about going against my friend's advice? I love this car but feel really bad since he seems so offended about it. It's like his whole reaction to it is "how dare you enjoy a Smart car?"

·
Registered
275 Posts
You are buying the car for YOU. You're the one that's going to have to live with it -- not your friend. We all buy cars for different reasons... I liked the Smart Car because I knew my pet Dachshund would like it. The seats are nice and high -- and for such a short dog, he can see out the front window. The seats are also heated (he likes that too). As far as my Dachshund is concerned, it's HIS car -- I'm just the driver...

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Ever since I saw the video where they showed two big guys getting into the Smart quite easily, I thought this big guy could get into one easily. I can. I have driven my little since March 2008. I find it easier to get into and out of than some bigger cars. Herb.
I really enjoy driving my little car. :)

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
. . . I told one of my friends this, and he seems really pissed off with me.

My best friend seems to not understand any of my reasons for wanting a Smart Car. He thinks I'm paying too much for "how much" car I'm getting (which is 10599.00).

Is there anything you guys can tell me that would make me feel better about going against my friend's advice? I love this car but feel really bad since he seems so offended about it. It's like his whole reaction to it is "how dare you enjoy a Smart car?"
Is this a normal reaction from your BEST FRIEND to challenge your purchase decisions, why?

The uninformed public don't get smart and although we often say that smart is not for everyone, sometimes you just have to lead your own life.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,079 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you've done your homework, so until your friend makes the payments, I say get what YOU want. :) But, be sure the smart does meet your needs and that you're getting a reasonable price from the dealer. The "I told you so" later if it doesn't work out will be even worse than what you're getting now.

Personally, that price does sound high for an '09, but it's hard to say without knowing all the details.

For some possible ammunition, check out my YouTube smart videos when you get a chance to see some event photos and video, especially the "Two year ownership" and "2011 Orlando" videos.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Hey there everyone. I currently have a 2009 Smart ForTwo Pasion in black, with silver safety cell on hold for me at a dealership in the area, and I told one of my friends this, and he seems really pissed off with me.
Unless your friend is planning to make the payments for you I suggest you tell him to pound sand. You like it, buy it. Enjoy.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hey there everyone. I currently have a 2009 Smart ForTwo Pasion in black, with silver safety cell on hold for me at a dealership in the area, and I told one of my friends this, and he seems really pissed off with me. I had just recently bought a 1991 Geo Storm wagonback, but it isn't working out for me. It's too low for an overweight guy like me to get in an out of, it gets less than 30 mpg hwy, and it has a 3spd automatic transmission. The AC went out 15 minutes after I bought it, and the car is just completely unenjoyable. My best friend seems to not understand any of my reasons for wanting a Smart Car. He thinks I'm paying too much for "how much" car I'm getting (which is 10599.00) I test drove the ForTwo Passion today and instantly fell in love with it because I've done my research. I understand how the transmission works, and knowing that before I ever got into the car enabled me to shift through the gears smoothly with the paddle shifters. I love the air conditioning, the radio, the visibility, the high ride height and ease of getting in and out of it. Is there anything you guys can tell me that would make me feel better about going against my friend's advice? I love this car but feel really bad since he seems so offended about it. It's like his whole reaction to it is "how dare you enjoy a Smart car?"

Well he clearly knows nothing about the car, and you do. You did your research and know about it, but he doesn't. You'd have to have a pretty strong voice and say to really get your points across to someone that is against something they know nothing about lol.

Get the car though, it doesn't matter what he thinks! But at least try to explain it to him. Smart Car = Fun Car, no average car comes close to the enjoyment that a smart brings. No one in a honda civic would stick their hand out their roof and wave at me like guys do in their cabrio smarts. There just isn't anything like it... excluding super cars.

·
Super Moderator
11,222 Posts
Price seems a bit high, but without knowing the miles, options etc. ... As long as you are happy with the price and what the car is, make your own decision. I stopped living my life worried about what other people thought and it is much easier... Ask my wife! she'll tell you...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OH wow! I watched your two year ownership video before I even found this forum. I suppose the Smart car world is kinda small, eh? hehe.

I also want to address the price issue... I'm getting this car from Carmax, and I've been shopping around for a car for awhile now but it seems like Carmax is the only place that doesn't throw their hands up and say "we can't finance you." 10 or 11k is about the cheapest I'm going to get a good car for at Carmax, and I liked the Smart when I test drove it, so- I'm getting this kind of out a mix between limitations and the fact that I'm pleased with the comfort/performance. It has 37k miles on it, and it's VERY clean.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was shopping at carmax before buying a new 2013 smart pure for less. Then I watched their no haggle price drop $600, but I still had a better price. They have a lot of smart cars in their system and can transfer to your location if you find one elsewhere. That price seems slightly high. Check with your smart dealer for any deals they might have on leftovers. I think Jackson MS still has a passion or two for $4000 off sticker.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought an ’09 new to use as a reliable daily driver, and have been in love with the car for all 110k miles. That being said, your friend’s sentiments are something I have experienced almost universally from all of my friends and family for most of the last five years. I am at a loss to explain the phenomenon, but for some reason a large majority of people are baffled and upset by the existence of the smart 451.

A small subset of the population understand and love the car as it is absolutely fantastic in reality, and an excellent value, but it is controversial to say the least. Based on your description and your research, it sounds very similar to how I arrived at the conclusion to purchase the car. I am a tall and heavy person, and on my first test drive I was immediately taken by how insanely ergonomic and enjoyable the experience was. My gut thought at the time was that it would be able to do the job and not let me down, and it has been a champion.

Many of the things people claim to hate about the car are things I enjoy about it. Famous auto journalists fail to understand the operation of the transmission. Now, it is all I want to drive, and I drive a lot of different cars. After a while on the road with the 451, I imagine any driver could learn to anticipate most of its behaviors. Even though it does not have a clutch pedal, there is still room to learn and enhance your shifting abilities with better shift timing on the paddles/stick and by modulating the gas pedal.

Much of the regular maintenance on the 451 is easy, especially compared to more recent newer cars. You can work on it in really tight quarters, but you should know that not everything under the hood and engine bay is convenient to reach and work on. Certain things like spark plug removal and some of the bulbs and filters are tricky at first and require interesting tool combinations, but thankfully this forum has been a huge help.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
If you would like an '09 Cabrio with 40K miles and a ton of mods already done...think about the KillerBee. There is a thread on it currently. It is well known and a lot of people on this board know the car well.
Your friend means well but is not well informed. You have done your research and it is you that will be driving the car. It is a comfortable car for larger people and has a decent amount of room for stuff. It can only transport two people at a time and that is it's limiting factor. It is a very fun car to drive...even on the race track. It can gobble up curvy roads like the "Tail of the Dragon, travel long distance on the highway (with some wheel and tire mods,) and excel at tooling around town.
I have some fantastic cars and trucks at home but I love to drive the smart daily and on vacation.
Mick

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
OH wow! I watched your two year ownership video before I even found this forum. I suppose the Smart car world is kinda small, eh? hehe.

I also want to address the price issue... I'm getting this car from Carmax, and I've been shopping around for a car for awhile now but it seems like Carmax is the only place that doesn't throw their hands up and say "we can't finance you." 10 or 11k is about the cheapest I'm going to get a good car for at Carmax, and I liked the Smart when I test drove it, so- I'm getting this kind of out a mix between limitations and the fact that I'm pleased with the comfort/performance. It has 37k miles on it, and it's VERY clean.
There you go. If you like the car, buy it. Done. Anyone who tells you the price is too high or too low or too sideways is merely expressing an opinion. The price is set solely by the agreement between the buyer and seller. There are multiple variables involved so to compare one sale with another is an exercise in mental masturbation.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I bought a 2013 fully loaded Passion Coupe with 4K miles and three years of warranty left for $10,300. I had posted here, just like you, saying I was about to make a purchase. That's how I learned it was possible to get that kind of a deal... and how important warranty is in the Smart equation.

So, I'll second the feedback here that the price seems too high.

But it does sound like you've done the rest of your homework. You didn't mention how you like the ride (which can be brittle) or how far you are from a dealer. Otherwise you seem to have hit the high points well.

Let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought a 2013 fully loaded Passion Coupe with 4K miles and three years of warranty left for $10,300. I had posted here, just like you, saying I was about to make a purchase. That's how I learned it was possible to get that kind of a deal... and how important warranty is in the Smart equation.

So, I'll second the feedback here that the price seems too high.

But it does sound like you've done the rest of your homework. You didn't mention how you like the ride (which can be brittle) or how far you are from a dealer. Otherwise you seem to have hit the high points well.

Let us know what you decide!
Welp, I test drove the smart only on non-interstate roads. The roads WERE pretty bad, but I have previously driven SUV's so I wasn't bothered by the bumpy short-wheelbase ride. As far as how far a dealer is away, I think the nearest Smart dealer to me is about 100 miles. I'm in Lexington, SC- I think the closest Smart dealer is in Charlotte, NC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just signed all the paperwork on the black 09 passion coupe. It's being washed for me as I write this post. I'll post pics as soon as I can :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts