Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel as though I discovered the SMART car too late! I have reserved but no number yet and I am so crazy over this thing I have sent 2 emails to Mercedes of Devon!

Like other members have said, it is worth the wait.

Well...I digress. There are introductions afoot.

I am Lisa, I am a single parent living and working in Delaware County, PA. I have reserved an all black Pure model.

I would like to thank everyone for being a part of this forum and posting such great information for all SMART car newbies everywhere...

Lisa

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Welcome to the craziness of Smart desire Lisa!

We have lots of folks been waiting several years.... some did not even know they were waiting... we are slowly inching closer and closer each day hang in there

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mercedes (smart) of Devon have a Smart that you can test drive. I did a test drive on Monday of this week. Loved the car. The most amzing thing to me was the fit and finish of the car. I see why Mercedes would keep it in their car lineup.

Tom and Margy of Smart of Devon are really nice people. Go talk to them. get to know them.

They did tell me they will be the largest smart dealer in the East.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well, as SmartDesign said, Mercedes of Devon has one you can test drive, but make an appointment. They are located near the intersection of Rte. 30 and Waterloo Rd. next to the Commerce Bank.

I test drove it last night. Before I tell you of my impressions, let me say it was most disconcerting walking in to the main showroom. Sitting there gleaming is a handmade BiTurbo 16 Valve dream machine.. which runs.. oh.. $200,000.00 with a SOLD sign on it!. I am standing there in my army jacket and clogs and I can feel the sales people's eyes waiting for me to pass out from sticker shock.

Anyway.. on to more important things.. the SMART Car!

I've seen video and photos of course, but I wasn't quite prepared for the size. They have an all silver Passion model there. This particular car is from Germany. I asked about the American version but he said no, this is it: this is the world version of SMART.

Tom showed me the inside first. Since I ordered the Pure, I asked about differences. He said the seats have no pattern on them, there is only an FM/AM radio, no CD player and of course no sun roof. Also with the Passion you can get the dials at the top. The shifter is like some have said semi-manual which I will get into later. The key port, like most Mercedes is in the center console Heat gauges and hazard flashers are centrally located. He said it had FOUR airbags, not just 2. The Side ones are in the outside seat edge. Getting in, it is like everyone has said. Suddenly you are mentally in a regular car. The rear view mirror is sloped on each side so your view is a tad limited, but side view mirrors are large.

Ok.. the transmission. It has 6 gears. The gear you are in is displayed on the dash. If you want to do it yourself, an arrow flashes on the display and you push the gearstick forward. You can downshift as well. The car is noisier then I expected, slightly reminiscent of a VW.

Ok, Here is the rub. I drive a stick and am known for my heavy foot. I'm safe but I like a little get-up and go that occasionally lets loose my Inner Child that says Me First. Bad I know, but hey.. recognizing your issues is the first step in curing them. And cure them I shall have to - to have this car. It is not to say that this car has no power. It does. But you can feel that it is not designed for the shall-we-say, American heavy footedness. Those that are like me will have to make a conscious decision to slow down and let the car do what it was designed to do - be a SMART car - and leave the rest of the non-SMARTS to munch up fossil fuels.

Back to the Test Drive. I drove down Rte 30 almost to Berwyn. I had trucks and SUV's all around me and I didn't feel the least intimidated. Pulled into a parking lot and turned around. Note to all SMART owners and Pre-owners - The U-TURN is NO MORE. As to be expected, the little bugger turned on a dime. We got back and (after I parked 5 ft away from the curb because I forgot the size of the car I was in) Tom showed me the rear. The glass 'hatch' unlocks remotely, then the little 'gate' comes down. There is some room in there, I would say 4 filled shopping bags can get in there side by side standing up. On the gate there is a nifty little compartment for tools. The bottom of that compartment lifts out and you can easily check and add oil here. Fluids are in the front like always and that is easy as well.

Also, I asked about fuel. Tom said the best fuel economy is from 89 Octane. You can use 87 but the car won't run as nice and will munch gas.

That is it for now, I hope I helped someone with the SMART and didn't repeat items that are already in this forum.

Lisa

·
Registered
931 Posts
I'm excited for you but sadly your representative was ill informed. Their regular smart consultant was probably undergoing training in California.

The USA model will have a 5 speed transmission, not 6. The car will run best on 91 Octane, not 89. The Pure does not come with any radio, just the speakers and wiring for one. Mercedes do not normally have the key on the console, but Saab does.

Glad that you enjoyed your drive. The actual USA models are supposed to shift a bit smoother.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm excited for you but sadly your representative was ill informed. Their regular smart consultant was probably undergoing training in California.

The USA model will have a 5 speed transmission, not 6. The car will run best on 91 Octane, not 89. The Pure does not come with any radio, just the speakers and wiring for one. Mercedes do not normally have the key on the console, but Saab does.

Glad that you enjoyed your drive. The actual USA models are supposed to shift a bit smoother.
No it was the regular sales consultant. These differing facts are flying around there seems to be some difficulty nailing it down. This is not doubt of your facts, but confirmation for me: Can you show me your sources?

·
Registered
347 Posts
No it was the regular sales consultant. These differing facts are flying around there seems to be some difficulty nailing it down. This is not doubt of your facts, but confirmation for me: Can you show me your sources?
Lisat, the transmission is listed on ALL smart websites as being a 5 speed for the new 451 model smart. The OLD model 450 smart had a 6 speed.

You can see the standard features and the options for each model (Pure, Passion and Passion cabiolet) on smart's America website, www.smartusa.com.

Your smart rep was sadly not up to speed on his product information.

Stick around this forum to learn all you want, and don't be shy about asking questions. :)

523 Posts
I think the Smart that Devon has is the old version and when Tom (heading up Smart at Devon) gave the specs he was indeed giving the specs on the car being driven.

Lisat, this car also has a 700cc Mercedes engine compared to the new Mitsubishi 999cc. The gear ratios are different between the 6 speed and the new 5 speed. I think you'll find the pickup on the new Smart to be much better than that of the car you test drove.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts