Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I reserved my car 12 April, so I expect to hear something soon. I wanted yellow with red interior and black tri cage. My question is do you really need power steering on a car this size? I drive Alfas and Mazda Rx-7's with no problem and parallel park! Any opinions or advice?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Robotbill, as you have surmised, power steering is not needed on the smart. Once you're rolling you can't tell the difference. Only when standing still or just barely moving is the power steering evident.
Having said that, I am getting it on mine, just 'cuz I'm gettin' old! :cool:

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
power steering

Thanks, for your quick response. I am inclined to not get power steering----but those fog lights are a must have! Thanks again

·
Registered
798 Posts
I was second-guessing my decision to get ps but now I am happy I did. My friends pointed out that with my RSI I can use all the assist I can get!

Welcome to the group, robotbill!

·
Registered
624 Posts
The other thing to note ...

on PS is that its great for low speed manuvers (i.e., parallel parking, 'extreme' U-turns, putting it side-ways in your garage --- my favorite as this will be the wife's car). As I'm getting it as part of the leather/heated seats, etc. package I'm OK with it being price bundled this way but if you don't go with leather than it may not seem like something worth it (at $450). If you think you'll do little of the above, then you probably don't need it ...

·
Super Moderator
29,251 Posts
Welcome from Dayton! I opted not to get PS; figured it won't be much different from driving a classic Mini or VW bug without it. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts