Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening to all! I am new to this so I hope my manners are correct! I need some assistance and am at my wits end. Here goes...
I live in LR. My 86 year old mother wanted a Smart car so I found a 2008 Cabriolet with only 8700 miles in Fayetteville. I took her up there so she could make a trade and purchase. That was Aug 2012. By Jan 2013 and less than 2000 additional miles it started going into limp mode. Local place pulled codes and one was battery so I replaced that. After very little driving and continuous limp mode problems I finally had it towed to Tulsa at a cost of $600. It had a code of P0914 so they replaced the gear shifter (twice) cost of another $600. At the end of the week my husband and I went to get it. That was on April 19. By the following Monday it was back into limp mode. Towed to local place. Their research says it is the gear shift motor and Tulsa told me that could be a problem also when I was there. Local place will replace motor but is concerned it requires "coding" and they can't do that. I really don't want to spend another $600 having it towed to Tulsa. Can anyone give me advice? Oh and yes, it had the flash update in 2011 according to Tulsa.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
You should get a refund for the gear shifter, seeing as the diagnoses was wrong the first time...!!!
You should not have to pay for their stupidly...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On my paperwork for the gear shifter (Tulsa said this also) it says "used SDS to clear DTC & perform trans/shifter teach in". Is that something that only a Smart Center can do? I thought I had seen posts of DIY owners.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Transmission Teach-in
(paraphrased) (For the complete version, see page 87 of your manual.)

P. 87 of my 2009 smart 451 manual states the following:

Emergency Operation (limp-home mode)

In this mode only a certain gear combination or gear can be used. This mode is triggered in case of transmission malfunctions and enables you driving to the nearest workshop such as a smart center....
.... engine is sluggish or transmission no longer shifts, vehicle is in limp home mode. The transmission indicator flashes and the wrench symbol appears in the multifunction display. Place selector in D and proceed to the nearest smart center to have the transmission checked.

In case of a minor transmission malfunction, it might be possible to teach-in the transmission in order to restore the normal transmission mode.

IF THE ATTEMPT TO TEACH IN THE TRANSMISSION FAILS, YOU CANNOT CONTINUE TO DRIVE. THEREFORE WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU HAVE THE TRANSMISSION TAUGHT-IN AT A QUALIFIED WORKSHOP OR AT AN AUTHORIZED SMART CENTER.

Teaching-in the transmission system:

Stop the vehicle in a safe place.
Move the selector to park position P.
Turn off the engine.
Wait at least thirty seconds before restarting.
Press the brake pedal.
Restart the engine.
Three bars instead of P appear in the multifunction display.
Wait at least thirty seconds.
The transmission is taught in.

If successful, P returns to the multifunction display. If unsuccessful the three bars return to the display. Contact roadside assistance or an authorized smart center. (for towing :D)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

In this mode only a certain gear combination or gear can be used. This mode is triggered in case of transmission malfunctions and enables you driving to the nearest workshop such as a smart center....
.... engine is sluggish or transmission no longer shifts, vehicle is in limp home mode. The transmission indicator flashes and the wrench symbol appears in the multifunction display. Place selector in D and proceed to the nearest smart center to have the transmission checked.

In case of a minor transmission malfunction, it might be possible to teach-in the transmission in order to restore the normal transmission mode.

IF THE ATTEMPT TO TEACH IN THE TRANSMISSION FAILS, YOU CANNOT CONTINUE TO DRIVE. THEREFORE WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU HAVE THE TRANSMISSION TAUGHT-IN AT A QUALIFIED WORKSHOP OR AT AN AUTHORIZED SMART CENTER.

Turn off the engine.
Press the brake pedal.
Restart the engine.

If successful, P returns to the multifunction display. If unsuccessful the three bars return to the display. Contact roadside assistance or an authorized smart center. (for towing :D)
I do know this process very well as it has kept me going in the very beginning of the problems. Just didn't know if the manuals process and the dealership process was different in any way that a local shop (or me) couldn't not do. At this point we can always get it taught in but the code kicks it back out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have mentioned the clutch actuator several times to Tulsa and local shop and they say no. I am also going to guess that if it was the clutch I would get a different code. Code has always been the same, P0914, pointing to the gear shift. 2008 doesn't seem to be a good year. Considering the extremely low mileage I would think it is a faulty part somewhere instead of wear & tear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Transmission Teach-in

Turn off the engine.
Press the brake pedal.
Restart the engine.

Is there anyone in Memphis that works on them? I know there isn't a Smart center but I would prefer a 2 hour drive to a 4 hour driver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts