Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm April from Plano, TX! Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I just bought a new 2016 Fortwo prime this past Saturday in blue/white. I am loving it so far! I really like the interior and all the tech that is built into the car. The bluetooth has been work flawlessly and I can't stop staring at the amazing roof.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Welcome! I hope you enjoy that 3 cylinder turbo engine, mated to its dual clutch Getrag transmission (I'm assuming you bought an auto), with wonderfully supportive and height adjustable man-made leather seats, as you slam the brakes and pull off the quickest u-turn in the industry while simultaneously popping the transmission controller to the left so you can slap through your gears manually as you upshift from 2 to 3 to 4 and toss left and right between tight traffic while you slap your gearshift back to downshift to 3 then 2 while you hit a quick right turn into the parking lot of your local Whataburger restaurant and park in the speediest manner possible.

Well that's how I'd drive it anyway. Enjoy! :D :nerd:

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,577 Posts
Welcome! I hope you enjoy that 3 cylinder turbo engine, mated to its dual clutch Getrag transmission (I'm assuming you bought an auto), with wonderfully supportive and height adjustable man-made leather seats, as you slam the brakes and pull off the quickest u-turn in the industry while simultaneously popping the transmission controller to the left so you can slap through your gears manually as you upshift from 2 to 3 to 4 and toss left and right between tight traffic while you slap your gearshift back to downshift to 3 then 2 while you hit a quick right turn into the parking lot of your local Whataburger restaurant and park in the speediest manner possible.

Well that's how I'd drive it anyway. Enjoy! :D :nerd:
Wow!! I just got a little giddy reading that.....

·
Registered
430 Posts
Man-made leather?
A portion of the seats are definitely synthetic, but the seating surfaces are real leather. (bottom, lower back, etc.)

You can tell it's real leather because it wrinkles when you push your finger down into it. Synthetic doesn't wrinkle it stretches.

And April welcome!!! Post some pics!

·
Registered
11 Posts
April, as stated by other members Welcome to SCoA and enjoy, also have fun with your new Smart Fortwo Prime.

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Wow!! I just got a little giddy reading that.....
Sounds rather like the way I drive my 451, except that I use the paddles.

You should see my mother hanging on for life in the passenger seat. Well, she's nearly to the point of enjoying it after more than a year, 3 days a week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!! I am enjoying it so far. I fit into the tiniest space yesterday on lunch while other people just stared at me. I noticed over the past 2 days going to work that people almost hit me because they are staring- it is kind of creepy - will that go away or do you just learn to ignore people? lol. I'm very much an introvert so its making a bit more self conscious than I normally am.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,577 Posts
I still get a few looks in my 451 and it is seven years old. Just learn to enjoy the attention. It's about all I get at my age.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Nobody looks twice at a smart in California anymore, even a 453. In that aspect, things have really changed since 2008.
The 1200+ 451's here in the car2go fleet have really taking any sort of fascination away from the old smart.

Having said that I've had multiple people ask me if I'm driving "the new smart" and "what year is that smart", the 453 is still turning heads here. Heck it's still turning my head because I've only seen maybe 5 off the dealership lots!

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
I've had my 451 going on 8 years now. Just in the past week, I've had 4 strangers approach to ask questions, noticed people next to me in traffic eyeballing the apparently fascinating wheels, had several waves, and even caught through my rear view mirror a young lady taking cell phone photos of the rear of my car.

I swear, it's true.

You should've seen what it was like to drive a smart 7-8 years ago. On my second day of ownership, a guy offered me $20 if I'd let him sit in my car. Kinda of a miss match for an introverted person. I hope you get used to it, LOL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 1200+ 451's here in the car2go fleet have really taking any sort of fascination away from the old smart.

Having said that I've had multiple people ask me if I'm driving "the new smart" and "what year is that smart", the 453 is still turning heads here. Heck it's still turning my head because I've only seen maybe 5 off the dealership lots!
The fact that you have seen 5 is amazing. Here in NTX i've only seen two, and one didn't even have a Texas plate.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!! I am enjoying it so far. I fit into the tiniest space yesterday on lunch while other people just stared at me. I noticed over the past 2 days going to work that people almost hit me because they are staring- it is kind of creepy - will that go away or do you just learn to ignore people? lol. I'm very much an introvert so its making a bit more self conscious than I normally am.
If you're truly an introvert a smart is not the car for you:). I've gotten over that problem with people staring or asking questions about my smarts, I'm on numbers 3 & 4, two 2016's. I still get the occasional question but nowhere near 2009 thru 2012. You'll get used to it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts