Smart Car of America Forum banner

New member, small roof problem!

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Padawan 
#1 ·
Hi, just a quick hello from the sunny Canary Islands. I have a 2008, 84hp, pulse, red / black. I love whipping through the winding mountain roads, the performance is oustanding. One small problem - the black glass roof has developed a nasty "rash" of some sort. It is as though I´ve driven through a calcium spray and it has dried on the roof as a deposit from front to back. I have tried all sorts of cleanser, including the one for vitrous glass kitchen hobs. No luck so far, any help would be appreciated.:rolleyes:

#2 ·
Pano Roof Crazing:

Unfortunately, your pano roof is crazed. Check with your smart center service dept. and see if they will replace the roof? If they send a new roof panel to you, any automotive glass shop should be able to install a new roof for you. Another alternative is to replace the roof with the solid non-transparent roof. You might also consider painting your roof if replacement is not an option. Let us know how you resolve this issue.

#3 ·
glass roof "rash"

No, it is not crazed, it is a surface deposit problem that you can feel with your finger-tips.It appears to be "streaked" from front to back. Could average temp. of 85F on these islands be responsible in part. Thanks aagain.

#6 ·
Guys, I really don't think what gerbill is describing is the same as what most others here refer to as "crazing".

It almost sounds like some sort of salt deposit, which is perhaps plausible in an island environment.

There are two things I'd suggest trying. The first is a product called PlastX by Meguiar's. It's designed specifically as a cleaner and polish for plastics. If you can't find it locally you can order it online from a number of different sources (including Amazon.com).

The second suggestion is plain distilled vinegar. Many aquarium keepers use vinegar to remove the white deposits that invariably form on the glass and plastic above the water line. I can say from experience with my own aquarium that it works incredibly well.

Since it is mildly acidic, only apply the vinegar with a soft cloth or sponge directly to the portion you're cleaning, and be sure to rinse frequently with water at 30-60 second intervals. I'd also suggest working in the shade or waiting for a cloudy day.

#7 · (Edited)
#8 ·
Thank, JPaul. It's always better to be safe than sorry. In this instance, the list indicates a resistance to exposure for 6 days to 10% acetic acid in water (distilled vinegar is normally between 5%-8% acetic acid).

In addition, Sheffield Plastics Inc. specifically recommends Meguiar's, Plexus, or Novus plastic polish to remove fine scratches from Makrolon.

So, no worries here. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.