Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am a new member as of today. I don't have a Smart Car, but I have a question regarding the motor in these cars. I am thinking of purchasing a Trike-Tec which is German built, and has a 3 cylinder 62hp turbo Smart Car motor. The trike has 62,000 miles on the motor, appears to have been well maintained, has records showing oil changes, etc. My question is, is this a lot of miles for this particular motor, and how many miles should I expect to get out of this motor. Thank you any information you can give me.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Yup, those Suprex gas engines (other than the 698 cc ones in the Roadster with 82-101 HP) are weak and are often junk at 100,000 km. Insist on a compression test before even driving.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
As long as you don't window the block, they are rebuildable. Kits are available form Germany and UK with all the stuff you need. Any competent engine builder should be able to do the machine work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trike

I have a 2006 trike from trike tec and it's the 81 horse power turbo.... I need to know who works on these bikes because I'm having boggin out issues when I hit fourth gear or when I stop and go sometimes.. HELP.. I think it's the throttle sensor or something because when I pull over, turn it off then back on it goes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Different models,different engines...............

I believe the 450smart and 452roadster have engine made by M-B. The smart 451 engine is made by mitsubishi. And the
453 smart engine is made by renault.................

·
Super Moderator
11,232 Posts
Found this place sells them, maybe they can help(??)

RODWORKS INC
3745 OVERLAND AVE
LOS ANGELES,CA 90034
JERRY 310-559-3071

1 - 9 of 9 Posts