Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All I have long loved the Smart in all its forms. Driven all of them on my many visits to Spain. I bought a Corssblade last summer and plan to bring it to the US. Its what I do for a living so I know I can get it to Florida with no problems, I own several other similar imports already!
I now have a second crossblade available to me. Knowing that they are scarce even in Europe and like hen's teeth state side, that typical price in EU is approx 20k-25k for a clean used one. Any thoughts on the value/price of one here? Does anyone know of any sold in the US and how much they may have fetched? I am considering of course buying it for resale, but not if I am going to sit on it for too long! No way to post pics but willing to post with instructions. Maybe because I am new here??

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
You can post pics after you make three posts.

so make two "dummy test" posts to this thread and you can post pics?

as for how much a crossblade is worth in the US?

It's worth whatever someone will pay? I don't mean that to sound snarky.

I would be interested in on in the mid $20 (US) range? (Virginia only has a few months that a fully open vehicle is usable)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You can post pics after you make three posts.

so make two "dummy test" posts to this thread and you can post pics?

as for how much a crossblade is worth in the US?

It's worth whatever someone will pay? I don't mean that to sound snarky.

I would be interested in on in the mid $20 (US) range? (Virginia only has a few months that a fully open vehicle is usable)?
Ahh good to know, Ill post some nonsense on here and maybe post some pics right away. I think finding one for that kind of money would probably be a hell of a find, considering I have been looking for a long time and anything under 20KEU seems to go fast. or is a bit ragged on. I did notice the one on Ebay for $42K and thought it not bad after all the costs to get one here. Also noticed all the smack the guy got for the price. It did sell in the end so maybe it was priced right. I expect, if I do get it, I'd need closer to 30K to even consider the sale. I will post it here if/when it happens. If you are interested at closer to 30 I'd seriously consider getting it.
Again thank you for the picture note.

·
Registered
912 Posts
How do you propose to deal with the US EPA and NHTSA import and registration restrictions?

A vehicle that was not originally built to US safety and emissions requirements is not legal to be registered on the road in the USA unless it is more than 25 years old.

The "built to US requirements" applies on the individual vehicle basis. If the vehicle doesn't have (or doesn't legally have) the US FMVSS compliance label, it's not legal. An ECE-market car could be identical to a US-market car, differing only in the legal application of the compliance label, and the US-market car is legal, the ECE-market car is not.

The smarts sold elsewhere in the world have different lighting, different powertrains that are not EPA approved, different calibration of the outwardly-similar powertrains that result in not being EPA approved, probably different bumpers, possibly different window glass, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am aware of the differences but appreciate you pointing them out. Anyone buying this second car (I may or may not buy) from me would know the fine print in advance and buy it with full disclosure. My own Crossblade along with 4 other imports I own are as safe as any American car I have ever owned (in my opinion) so am not concerned about the safety or "legality" as it is titled, plated and insured by the book.

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
Not so much a safety issue as a license able issue. Last time I checked on bringing a roadster into the US would cost close to $35K to meet all the requirements and that is after purchasing and shipping. The few that are in the USA were brought in as show vehicles and were not supposed to driven on the roads. There has been a few brought up from Mexico with Mexican plates.

Afraid a crossblade wouldn't work in Minnesota for half of the year (or more) but it would be fun to have...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get it!! from that stand point I intend on selling it with a title which would simply transfer to new owner with a signature. Of course anyone buying one of these should expect to have trouble buying parts and getting service as the dealership would likely look at you sideways. So all that said, it is definitely not for everyone.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,219 Posts
I have lived in Florida since 1966 and getting a title for a car here is not much of a problem. I have gotten titles for some off the wall stuff and I am sure the OP will be able to title his Crossblade with few or no issues. My three wheeled car (think Morgan trike) is titled as a 1983 Honda motorcycle.

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
now if you could get me a roadster, with the twin turbo v6... that would be a different story.... I kind of need a roof. I'd be interested in how you go about getting by all the federal regs and stuff. Everything I have read says if it isn't done, the car could be seized and deported.

Not trying to insult you, just curious. If you have a method and want to protect it, I understand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There's a Crossblade still for sale, on dealers website Idealmotorcarsllc.com ! I spoke to them on their roadster few weeks ago. Cool stuff!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Last one I saw sell did 45 grand I think. Doesn't seem too far fetched for that level of cool in the us for a near unused cblade. I love those things, I bet smart madness could really hot rod that guy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts