Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite a few disappointed fans on the websites.
No furthering of Classic British Roadster appeal
No superseding the FR-S / BR-Z
(why did they bother unveiling it at Laguna Seca)
-this is not ready for turning and burning at Laguna Seca
This is ready to take Becky to Creations hair salon.:shrug:

·
17,345 Posts
I like it. The design is a mash of old Miata with new Miata. And it looks small, whereas the previous generation looked pretty large.

I don't think it lost any of the classic roadster appeal. After all, they cut its weight even further down (who would've thought that a next generation car would LOSE weight and size rather than gain it) and it has some styling cues from current and past British roadsters.

As for performance, the Miata has always been a "slow car fast" kind of deal anyway.

I think the real problem is that the car was hyped so high, there was no possible way the new car could live up to it. Kinda like how the Honda CR-Z was hailed as the next CRX and failed to deliver, big time...

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
Bwuh. Z4 from behind and S2000 from the front. I probably still won't fit in one anyway.

I think you pegged the comps. Too bad as I was hoping to see them go back to their smooth Lotus Elan lines that the '90 to '97 sported. I sold my first KillerBee ('92 Sunburst yellow) when I bought the EO2K Project Miata from Miata Magazine....great Copper colored car with a ton of aftermarket stuff...but it just wasn't like my old KillerBee so I bought another '92 Sunburst and made it into another KillerBee (which I still have.) Compare the lines of the new versus the old:

ps I was supposed to be on my way out to Laguna Seca for the 25th Anniversary of the Miata, driving on track, and getting to see this new model...but my Lyme disease flared and I'm staying home.

Attachments

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
I like it. The design is a mash of old Miata with new Miata. And it looks small, whereas the previous generation looked pretty large.

I don't think it lost any of the classic roadster appeal. After all, they cut its weight even further down (who would've thought that a next generation car would LOSE weight and size rather than gain it) and it has some styling cues from current and past British roadster

Neon shows the divide between older generations and younger generations. Us oldtimers like the classic smooth rounded lines more often and the youngtimers like the crisper edge lines more often. I think Mazda is trying to appeal to the younger crowd with this car in the external design. Us oldtimers already have our Miatas and they want to sell cars.....so.....! I'll wait till I see it in the flesh for my final opinion (but I'm happy with what I have.)

·
17,345 Posts
Neon shows the divide between older generations and younger generations. Us oldtimers like the classic smooth rounded lines more often and the youngtimers like the crisper edge lines more often. I think Mazda is trying to appeal to the younger crowd with this car in the external design. Us oldtimers already have our Miatas and they want to sell cars.....so.....! I'll wait till I see it in the flesh for my final opinion (but I'm happy with what I have.)
Indeed! To me, it seems they've tried to blend the curves of the old school Miata with the sharp edges of Mazda's current design architecture.

Granted, most of the old school British Roadster looks are now gone, but it seems to have taken some cues from current British and Japanese sportscars.

That said, if it were my money going into a Miata (which, I do have a craving for one), I'd go for a stock NA. :)

P.S. Your "KillerBee" NA has to be one of the cleanest Miatas I've seen...ever...

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Neon shows the divide between older generations and younger generations. Us oldtimers like the classic smooth rounded lines more often and the youngtimers like the crisper edge lines more often.
Not so fast...plenty of us "oldtimers" are happy with a new look if it looks right to us - way too much subjectivity involved evaluating a car's appearance for there to be any "right" or "wrong" (except for the Asstec, of course....:D)

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
John...you are always young at heart...so you don't count amongst us "oldtimers."

I do like the lowness of the hood and the sides look lower as well...both were things I didn't like about the current generation. The rear is so much like the BMW I'd be surprised if they don't get sued for design encroachment.
The current generation Miata drives so well and neutral even a new driver can negotiate a tricky corner like a pro. The NA (first generation) is more like a "sports car" where you needed to really work it through some tricky corners or you might be facing backwards in a hurry. The current generation tried to bring some of the jelly bean look back from the NA but it feels so big and the sides are so high that it feels to me more like a touring car than a sports car.
The new one is certainly different from current Miatas so it will be interesting to see how it fares. Now if they will start offering it in some bright primary colors they might open more eyes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good looking killer bee miata. I had a 92 that had coilovers, wheels, tires, real rollbar, sway bars, exhaust, etc. som***** would tear up the mountains. Loved it, but finally decided i wanted to live to retire. 30 years running the georgia and north carolina mountains hard was enough.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Need to fix those tail lights to match the headlights.

Those circlular shapes look odd and dont match.

Front end looks good but sort of has a little bulk in the hood area.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
HardyBob,
It's kind of a stealth Bee as it sports coilovers (not in the pics) and a Flying Miata II Turbo. Was set to get the roll bar put in last week so I could track Laguna Seca this weekend when my Lyme hit again so I put that off for now. Want to redo the seat coverings although they don't need it...just want some yellow in them. Some day I will put some big brakes on the front and it will be done.

Haven't done anything to it but drive it for several years until I was forced to do the struts so I opted for the coilovers. I just love the lines on the '92 and I always have since before the intro.

I had the first contract to buy one in St. Louis (and at MSRP) and when they called me to finalize the specs my better half said NO even when I explained to her I could buy it, drive it a month, and sell it for $2000 more than I paid due to the demand. Never saw a salesman so happy to tear up a contract and give me back my deposit!

ps You have some great roads as well in Arkansas.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I'm old, I like the new Miata's styling direction. It clean and comtempory. They are folks, on this forum who like the direction the new smarts going. To me it's not my taste at all. I really can't wait to see what Alfa/Mazda come up with in a roadster.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yeh, hwy 9 in the ozarks is one of my favorite. The miata was so dialed in i always took the speed limit for corners and doubled it. That is where i started. Kept pushing and finally spun out in a 25mph curve at 65. Decided it was time to back off. Now i drive spirited... Ah, the good old days.

·
17,345 Posts
Yeh, hwy 9 in the ozarks is one of my favorite. The miata was so dialed in i always took the speed limit for corners and doubled it. That is where i started. Kept pushing and finally spun out in a 25mph curve at 65. Decided it was time to back off. Now i drive spirited... Ah, the good old days.
Sounds like what I do at clover junctions in my smart.
My fastest exit speed is 60mph on a 25mph curve. Boy do those wide tyres work magic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts