Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So as not to clutter this thread with every tank full, I have joined this http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/194504.html and you can check at your will, BUT I’m up to 48 MPG, it may be that the AC was only on 45-50%of the time, or it could be going from 91 to 93 octane or a combo of both, still awaiting the elusive 50 MPG mark.

First thing learned, park this car in a public place, sit back and watch the swarm come to it. Wife and I went out for a late breakfast, parked close to the door, and was lead to a table with a window. It was like lemmings to the sea, with hands cupped they looked through the passenger’s window, with hands cupped they looked through the driver’s side, and finally through the back window. All went counterclockwise and some did 2 revolutions.

Second thing learned, The Smart with the AC on will switch to 5th @ 40 MPH and 6th @ 60 MPH, without the AC on it will switch @ the same points. We drove the back roads to the beach today (speed limit 55) and I found without the AC on I could switch in to those gears 10 MPH sooner without the motor bogging down (I had tried this last week but with the AC on, the car was able to select a better gear than I could).

Third thing learned, Very gusty winds + the Smart car = cheek clinching moments. It was windy today (white caps on the ocean), we took the high way home cursing @ 70-75MPH. The wind didn’t seem to be a problem, THEN we got hit with a side blast. Well the blast pushed me to the right side of my lane, I compensated with a little left, THEN the blast went away causing my compensation to cause the car to dart to the left side of my lane. I MUST make the point of saying “I never was in ANY danger of ANY kind”, BUT that being said, I kept both hands on the wheel for the balance of the ride home.

The fourth and final thing learned is, I AM NOT ALONE, as we drove home a local restaurant had a Gray Smart parked in its lot, I went home, grabbed the camera, and POOF I got a picture of my fellow Smart owners car .

Beer a Cigar time

ASM

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I am assuming you have a 450 and am hoping the 451 gets anywhere near your fuel economy. Probably won't with the additional weight, but that additional weight will keep the 451 a bit steadier in the wind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I love the 450's, have had 2 ,a hardtop and convertable.

I bought an 06 Fortwo in 2008. It was a winecolored with silver side trim. I got a best of 59 mpg on a trip here in Nevada going 60 mph on flat ground with no wind, the tires aired up to max stated pressure and 0W30 Mobile One synthetic oil. Around town I averaged 45mpg. I have a 2006 Cabriolet that gets about 4 mpg overall less then the hardtop. I guess it has more wind resistance..Any way, I love them both..:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts