Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall seeing something about adding washers to the wheel bearing bolts to straighten out the rear tires but I don't seem to be able to locate the size and thickness that was used. Anyone recall the specs??

·
Registered
150 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My second smart (2009) had the wedgies kit and it did look much better. My current car doesn't have hem and the rear tires lean is quite noticeable with the larger tires and the ED suspension. The 2.5mm measurement is what I needed. Thanks

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ditto all that.... 2.5 mm. Or, about the thickness of a quarter! If you find the washer diameter too large, just grind/file off a bit to get it to fit. The car will look much better.... and if you then add the wheel spacers to the front... it could look like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
I installed 15mm wheel spacers onto Minimus from and back and the handling is 110% improved. The mod is on a 2016 453 Prime. I bought the sets from Smart Madness near Austin TX. It took the 185\60-15 on the front and 195\50-15's all the way out to the fender well. Actual gives my ride an aggressive stance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
FWIW, this is one of the stupidest ideas* I've ever heard of. The negative camber for the rear wheels is designed to counteract off-throttle oversteer. You're trading safety for "looks." Get your tires rotated fir crissakes.

*Second only to running a 72 Impala on 12" rims that are 3" too wide for the 50 series tires mounted on them. YMMV

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had a set of these on my first '09 and put about 165K miles on them in all sorts of weather conditions from 110 degree temps to -46 below, rain, shine and deep snow with no problems (except the deep snow which I got center hung but not due to the wedgies)

The smaller front wheels are supposed to do the same thing, and many members have changed to same size tires front and rear with no problems either. It depends on how you are using your car and the conditions you are driving under. Saying it will have an adverse effect is like saying getting hit in the head will kill you. depends on the circumstances

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A little off topic here. I am just saying that "In my experience with over 100K miles of driving a smart with the rear wheel spacer kit (called wedgies) I had no problems or loss of handling.

I also have changed to all 4 tires the same size with no problems, and even better handling in poor weather conditions and rough roads.
A brief history;
2008 smart 17,000 miles before getting it replaced with
2009 smart sold with 165,000 miles,
2008 smart bought with 90,000 miles, currently has 152,000 miles and still going....

·
Registered
333 Posts
Jim,
Your completely correct, the car not only looks better, it handles better. I used the washers, might need to rename this to "WasherWedgies" or "WW" mod.
Wheel spacers on the front completed my project... pretty much complete now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts