Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Smart for 2 weeks and I've added a few select mods.

1. Go Pedal
2. Electric Push Start Brabus Shifter
3. Black Out Headlights
4. Cold Air Intake
5. Brabus Chair Rail Covers
6. Rear Cargo Cover
7. Mercedes Tailgate Logo (replace Smart)
8. Interior Brabus Logo
9. Mercedes Headrest Logos
10. Madness Magnetic Phone Holder
11. Door Mirrors Driver/Passenger
12. Air Valve Covers Brabus/Mercedes
13. Mercedes Benz Rear Logo
14. Mercedes Benz Steering Wheel Emblem
15. Mercedes Benz Decal for Tridion Safety Cell
16. Mercedes Benz License Holder
17. Wheel Locks
18. Husky Universal Lug Wrench 17mm
19. 15mm Socket for Lug Wrench
20. Nappa Leather Steering Wheel w/Thumb Grips.
21. Mercedes Owner Signature Window Decal
22. Center Console Shift Pattern Decal

·
17,476 Posts
Tell me more about the push starter. Is it actually an operational push button start? I thought those didn't work in the US models!!!!

I had my own push button start project a few years back, never finished it because I ran out of parts. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased it from Europe, but they knew it was shipping to the US. I also saw the same one on eBay from a US seller. My primary goal wasn't so much the Push Start, but I have a Brabus and I like the leather shifter boot that comes on it vs. the Brabus Shifter knob by itself. The shifter knob alone sells for around $185 and the electric push start sells for $360. The push start shifter I purchased was $189 new and it is the exact same as every other push start shifter I've seen advertised.

I haven't connected it yet, I hope to do that later today. I'll post the result when I do. I purchased a few other items from the distributor in Europe. I didn't pay tax, but had to pay $53 shipping. Even with shipping I saved quit a bit of money buying the Push Start from Europe.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I purchased it from Europe, but they knew it was shipping to the US. I also saw the same one on eBay from a US seller. My primary goal wasn't so much the Push Start, but I have a Brabus and I like the leather shifter boot that comes on it vs. the Brabus Shifter knob by itself. The shifter knob alone sells for around $185 and the electric push start sells for $360. The push start shifter I purchased was $189 new and it is the exact same as every other push start shifter I've seen advertised.

I haven't connected it yet, I hope to do that later today. I'll post the result when I do. I purchased a few other items from the distributor in Europe. I didn't pay tax, but had to pay $53 shipping. Even with shipping I saved quit a bit of money buying the Push Start from Europe.
A tutorial along the way would be great :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some pics of my recent mods. The push start shifter wasn't compatible with my '14 Smart Brabus. I installed the Go Pedal today and it's a must have mod. Its $300 and has a 30 day return policy. I haven't installed the cold air intake yet. I purchased a rear cargo cover. Buy the $180 OEM rear cargo cover. The cargo cover that's half the price doesn't fit as well as the official Smart brand cover and just doesn't have the fit and finish of the Smart cover. I installed blackout headlight covers $56, but they need to be removed whenever you use your headlights. A tork screwdriver is required, but it's not difficult. I replaced the rear Smart logo with a Mercedes logo. I installed a Mercedes emblem on my steering wheel over the Smart logo. I'm using a madness magnetic phone holder. I'll probably buy another one to hold my Go Pedal control head. I installed Mercedes emblems on my headrests. I put Brabus emblems on the bottom of my steering wheel and right side glove box.

Attachments

·
17,476 Posts
I forgot the EU shifters work completely different than ours. I really wanted the push button shifter to work. :(

But holy cow, you have yourself one beautiful looking Brabus!!!!!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank You! I love that we can customize our cars. (What kind of Smart do you have and what color scheme does it have? Any special features?)

You'd think the European retailer who sent the shifter to Arkansas USA, would have thought twice about it's compatibility.

I'm not sure what the difference between the EU shifter and USA shifters are, but I'd be interested to find out.

I'm not a do it yourself kind of person, except for computers. I've had to take certain areas of my Smart Car apart. Half the battle is having the right tools, which I don't have. I removed the shifter and the center console. If this shifter were compatible with USA Smart Cars, I would have had to removed the seats to be able to get to the electronics inside the shifter housing to hook up the Push to Start. (There aren't any installation instructions in the box?) What a pain in the ass. Really? Before you know it, your entire car is in pieces in the driveway, the sun is going down, it's freezing outside. You don't want to give up, but you know putting your car back together again will make more sense in the morning. Lol

I'd much rather pay someone to fix it, but it gets expensive if you have to run to a mechanic every time some little thing needs to be done. That's why I first learned how to work on computers, so I wouldn't have to run to Best Buy every time I needed to have a video card installed, etc. I spent $200 on the cold air intake. It will cost me another $200 to have someone else install it. What a waste of money. (It's like buying a limited edition autographed lithograph by Dale Earnhardt for $175 and having to pay $450 to have it framed) I may have to try and install the cold air intake myself. If I screw it up, I can always go to a mechanic and let them fix it. I wish there was an instruction video showing how to install a cold air intake, but there isn't one. Everyone says how easy it is. First you have to lower the motor...WTF? What happened to easy? Lol

If there isn't a shifter for USA models, someone needs to get busy and manufacture one. I'm not so enamored with the Push Start as much as I like the Brabus logo and the leather boot. I like the way it looks vs. the skinny shift lever. It looks cheap to me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Use a hacksaw to take out the old baffle box. I don't know that lowering the motor is necessary??
There are two options if you don't want to destroy the baffle box. I would have liked to keep it in tact if possible, but it doesn't look like it will be worth the aggravation. If you have any additional instructions or places I can go to get instructions in regard to installing a cold air intake, please let me know.

·
17,476 Posts
Thank You! I love that we can customize our cars. (What kind of Smart do you have and what color scheme does it have? Any special features?)

I'm not sure what the difference between the EU shifter and USA shifters are, but I'd be interested to find out.

I'm not a do it yourself kind of person, except for computers. I've had to take certain areas of my Smart Car apart. Half the battle is having the right tools, which I don't have. I removed the shifter and the center console. If this shifter were compatible with USA Smart Cars, I would have had to removed the seats to be able to get to the electronics inside the shifter housing to hook up the Push to Start. (There aren't any installation instructions in the box?) What a pain in the ass. Really? Before you know it, your entire car is in pieces in the driveway, the sun is going down, it's freezing outside. You don't want to give up, but you know putting your car back together again will make more sense in the morning. Lol

That's why I first learned how to work on computers, so I wouldn't have to run to Best Buy every time I needed to have a video card installed, etc. I spent $200 on the cold air intake. It will cost me another $200 to have someone else install it. What a waste of money. First you have to lower the motor...WTF? What happened to easy? Lol

If there isn't a shifter for USA models, someone needs to get busy and manufacture one. I'm not so enamored with the Push Start as much as I like the Brabus logo and the leather boot. I like the way it looks vs. the skinny shift lever. It looks cheap to me.
I'm a technical analyst by career, so I love to tinker with anything I can get my hands on. While I'm very proficient in some areas (I can rebuild a computer/server from scratch and build an entire iPhone with my eyes blindfolded), I'm still on a learning curve with cars. Some mods are so easy, some are rather hard. Basically, if it relates to the engine, I can struggle. If it's anything else? Might as well be a free-for-all. I rebuild and mod smartphones for fun!

I have a 2012 passion coupe (Tucker) and a 2016 Edition 1 (Phil).

The 2012 has the bulk of my modding:

1. TSW (Genius Darwin) wheels, staggered wheel sizes, but 195/50/15 tyres on each.

2. 5% window tint (used to be on all windows but the windscreen, but a ticket stopped that in 2015).

3. Custom speedometer face (made using Cubefx's photoshop template, then made it my own).

4. 8-Ball Shift Knob (that's now living in the 2016, more on that later).

5. Electronic add-ons (A bluetooth dongle in the glovebox/an UltraGauge).

6. Lighting wiring for DRLs. They're wired so that when the car is running, the fogs/LEDs are always running. Currently, they're attached to a pair of Carlsson fog lamps (I need to replace one of the bulbs)

But they used to be attached to some curved LEDs.

7. Towing hitch!

8. LED Headlight Project. Check out this thread here: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/led-headlight-conversion-46742/ I've given up on this project for the 451 and instead plan to do it for my new 453. Some others here have completed my idea with success!

9. The BMS Low Budget Cold Air Intake mod (it does away with the stupidly huge resonator in exchange for a thick tube attached to the stock air box)

Note: The Evilution way of removing the resonator didn't work for mine. The stupid thing just would not come out of the opening. Broke it in half with a Dremel, then it slid out just fine! (muahahahahahaha)

10. Pre-FCA Dodge Avenger antenna (the post-FCA Avenger antennas have threading that doesn't work with smarts...no idea why they made such a change even though the antenna is visually the same).

11. Custom made motor mount. I've always wanted the BMS motor mount, but I decided to make my own using a solid rubber bushing from a VW Golf control arm and the frame of the original motor mount! Better response from the engine for only $33!

12. Clock/rev counter pods. My car didn't come with them, so I bought some from Smart Madness then installed them myself!

13. Plasti-Dipped the badges.

Removed Mods:

1. Boeschbuilt Exhaust. I got rid of it because I thought I wanted a quieter smart, so instead of repairing the rotting flex pipe, I went back to stock...kinda wish I didn't do that!

2. Vortex Generators. One came off in a car wash, so I just took them all off anyway.

3. Full LED conversion: The LED brake and tails kept burning out and the turn signals kept triggering the rapid flash, so I just gave up on it. I did leave my reverse lamps, the parking lamps, and the third brake light LED though (because they just won't blow).

4. Bumper Spikes. I got them from the St Louis rally back in 2015, I removed them a few days ago. Ultimately they put a weird "dent" into the rear bumper when they were properly tightened. And while I love them, seeing the bumper like that wracked my brain like crazy.

Planned Mods:

1. Push Button Starter. Never finished this one because I ran out of parts. I then ended up getting a girlfriend and well, never returned to the project: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/push-button-start-76417/

2. Offroad buggy??????? This is more of a dream than anything real. But I'd love to see a smart take on a trail or a rally.

3. Restoration. More realistic and less expensive than the offroad buggy, I'd love to see Tucker back in his prime. Here's how he currently looks.

There's not much that needs to be fixed. Rather, sort out the engine, replace some panels, clean up the wheels, and fix the alignment/suspension issues.

Now, for Phil.

Since I still have Tucker, I plan to keep Phil mostly stock save for just a few tiny improvements.

Current mods:

1. 8-Ball Shifter

- So, back when the 451 was popular, there were some companies fabbing custom shift knobs for the US spec 451. Once sales hit rock bottom, they all stopped. The Euro shift knobs are electronic. While we have a "PRND+-" setup that mimics a normal automatic transmission, they have something completely different. The sticker you have on your shifter module shows how a normal 451 transmission actually works!

For an example: They engage auto mode with a button on the shifter (if they have the auto option), while our operation is either by moving the shifter into "Auto" (Drive) and/or holding a shifter paddle for a few seconds.

So, with no options available for a custom knob for a US spec smart, I decided to make my own! I bought an 8-Ball auto knob from here: Flameball Shift Knobs (my car is even featured on the site, ignore my name though, that's old me lol)

Then I stuck a small socket into the knob so that the plunger will actually reach the smart's button. Tightened it on, and viola, it works! Honestly, I think it is probably our best chance nowadays for US 451s/453s since there isn't anyone is making actual smart knobs anymore. The 1 improvement I'd suggest is using a wooden dowel instead of a socket. Such would probably yield more "factory feeling" results.

2. Floor mats. I transferred the all weather mats from my 451 to the 453, but first I lined the floor and the existing Edition 1 mats with plastic so they won't get wet from the slush.

3. 6" Phone/tablet holder. The stock cradle doesn't fit anything larger than a 5" inch phone. Considering I like phablets and 7" tablets for my cars, this is a problem. I solved it by putting a bigger cradle into the cradle! http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f208/mod-fit-your-6-inch-phone-your-453-a-129233/

Planned Mods:

1. 35% Window tint on all windows. I'm going to do it again, but this time we're keeping it legal!!

2. Custom number plate. Though, sure what I want it to say yet.

3. Plasti-Dip. I want to dip the service flap latches. The 453 clearly wasn't designed for women to do their own service. My nails come dangerously close to scratching the paint on the latches (I've scratched them once already), so I'm going to coat them in Plasti-Dip so I can actually service my car without breaking it.

4. Wheel Trim Rings. I want to add some of the tridion cell's orange to the wheels.

5. Blow off valve. It's going to be a hard sell to the girlfriend. xD

6. LED headlights. Resuming my old project! It should be easier this time since the 453 has silly reflector housings and not projectors like the 451.

Reactions: Smart Bob
1 - 14 of 14 Posts