1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New muffler question..UPDATED

Hey Gang,
My Mom's smart car muffler is toast.
I bought her the Solo exhaust with the side pipe for replacement.

Are the two bolts holding the muffler onto the cat just bolts or are they bolts with nuts?
I've read on here that the nuts are welded in place.
Is this so?

I plan on getting new hardware for the replacement due to the massive rust.
m8x1.25x30mm exhaust flange bolts and m6x12mm heat shield.

Also.. is it completely necessary to remove all of the back panels or just the one rear panel?

Thanks for any advice!

Rob

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
The rear fenders and rear panel come off as one piece and does make exhaust removal/installation much easier, but I have heard it being done without removing anything. The heat shield bolts were really bad on mine and I ended up using a vise-grips to remove them (I used new bolts) A touch of heat helps too. I used a propane torch as I ran out of oxygen for my big torch.
The exhaust pipe bolts do have welded on nuts but they could be cut off if they needed to be.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim!
I've got limited tools and such.. trying to make this as easy/simple as possible without having to replace more nuts and bolts just trying to get to the muffler.

Rob

·
Super Moderator
29,251 Posts
Helps to have it up on a lift. I watched the Mercedes guys in Cincinnati do this and they also disconnected the rear crossmember on one side to swing it out of the way. Not so simple if you're doing it in your driveway....:)

Not a great video but gives you the general idea; these guys are using ramps for the rear wheels:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the video! Feeling better about this project..
And thanks to JL for the phone call follow up.. super cool for someone to do that!

I'll keep everyone updated once the muffler gets here and I get to install it.

Rob

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Thanks for the video! Feeling better about this project..
And thanks to JL for the phone call follow up.. super cool for someone to do that!

I'll keep everyone updated once the muffler gets here and I get to install it.

Rob
Your welcome Rob.
Glad I was able to add some practical insight. No ramps needed, no jack needed, no need to remove cross-members, loosen the heat shield, yes and removing the lower valance will give more room to work, but isn't really required. Just take your time.
Solo is a good quality product, I have no regrets buying mine. I love the sound, but I have a convertible and I feel it adds to the experience.

It may be a little too loud for your mom. That may help achieve your goal we spoke about.
I have kept my old muffler, just in case the next owner wants the quiet putt-putt model T sound back. Looking forward to your update.
Good Luck
JL

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'll bet an independent muffle shop in Portland would have replaced the flex pipe for less money then the Solo cost.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well here's the update..
After soaking the bolts for 3 days, I tried to get the rounded off rusted bolts off of the heat shield.
No go.
That pretty much decided the fate of what was next.

Take it to a muffler shop.. ( Thanks bobarb! )

They quoted me $120 to replace the rusty/broken elbow between the flex pipe and the muffler.
I said "Do it!"

While doing that repair, they broke the flex pipe at the top of it.
They offered to replace everything from the flange to the muffler with new pipe and flex for the same $120.
They even took out the old rusty bolts from the flange and installed new ones with a gasket.

Needless to say I'm VERY happy. I tipped them an extra $20 for the hassles.
So now the exhaust system sounds much much better.
All that's next is return the Solo pipe/muffler.

Thank you all for the input!

Rob

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Sometimes that is the best and easiest solution. I have had vehicles with problems I can't fix, taken them to a shop and they get it done faster and sometimes cheaper than if I did it myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts