Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
17,384 Posts
There's so much wrong with that car.

I hope all of that front end isn't smart...front engine? Yuck!

·
Super Moderator
28,785 Posts
Still a Renault mule - maybe with the new nose grafted on. Wouldn't be worried about this being even close to the final version. The 453 will still have a rear engine layout. :)

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,705 Posts
"The 2015 Smart ForTwo is said to be carrying a lot of styling from the Smart Forvision Concept" - NOT seeing the forvision Concept love?

Still a (rear engined) hot mess . . .

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it is still a mule using a hacked up last generation Renault Twingo body to cover the new internals. However, that gray car must be sporting some of the new styling on the front (headlights, grille, bumper, lower fascia) given the level of camouflage. There's no reason to cover the white one since it's just an old Renault Twingo's front end. The current fortwo body was also used to cover an early test mule but you can tell that the narrow 451 body has a hard time fitting over the wider 453 internals which is probably why they switched to the old Twingo body for mule clothing.

And, the placement of the rear air intake and other pictures we've seen of the rear transverse exhaust (like the current fortwo) would seem to indicate a rear engine design which has been stated by Daimler.

·
17,384 Posts
"The 2015 Smart ForTwo is said to be carrying a lot of styling from the Smart Forvision Concept" - NOT seeing the forvision Concept love?

Still a (rear engined) hot mess . . .

Other than the pre-crashed door panels I love the forvision

But why...why would they even attempt to graft it onto half a Twingo mule?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Other than the pre-crashed door panels I love the forvision

But why...why would they even attempt to graft it onto half a Twingo mule?
Most likely because they don't want the real styling to be seen in the wild before it is announced - and they already made a few of these hacked-up Twingo bodies, so might as well get some use out of them.

There is no way the hacked-up-Twingo styling is the real thing.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
smart/MB has turned out some fine design work lately. I believe they must understand how much is riding on the brand's success with the next-generation smart, and will not fail us with a dowdy Twingo-like mule-based design.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
465 Posts
The one thing I saw that I don't like is the lift gate. I hate lift gates. Head crackers for tall folks. Can't be reached by small folks. And 1/2 the cost of the car to repair if you get hit. All SUVs have gone that way as well these days. So many better options. I really like the tailgate/ lift window on my 451. Even with the bike rack in place you can still open the glass. Much better design.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Don't make the assumption that a liftgate on the mule implies a liftgate on the production model. The mule has a liftgate because the Twingo that they hacked the bodywork from, has a liftgate. It simply isn't known whether the actual 453 will use a split tailgate design, or a liftgate.

·
17,384 Posts
My guess is that they're testing for the aerodynamics of the new styling.

Otherwise I just don't see why they slapped a smart front end onto a mule. I've never seen any manufacturer do a thing like this.

Usually they'll camo the whole mule or let it stay looking like the outgoing model, not half and half!

·
17,384 Posts
I wouldn't mind if it had some of the funky styling of the Renault Twizy. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts