Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts

Or at least I don't like the longer hood and ugly tailights. A little wider is fine, but I hope they don't go much wider. If I wanted something that looked remotely like a 'yota IQ, that's what I would have bought.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
My guess is that they're testing for the aerodynamics of the new styling.

Otherwise I just don't see why they slapped a smart front end onto a mule. I've never seen any manufacturer do a thing like this.

Usually they'll camo the whole mule or let it stay looking like the outgoing model, not half and half!

Then you've not seen many test mules Neon. Manufactures do all kinds of crazy stuff to hide what they are doing. GM put a Corvette chassis under a Buick Roadmaster body to hide what they were doing for one generation!

There are certain things you just can't test in a wind tunnel. My guess is they are road testing the areodynamics & cooling capabilities of the new front end. From looking at the first post, it appears that the camo'd front end is pre-production(the pattern in the grill opening looks too nice to be a hacked mule piece), the other is the same hacked twingo mule we've been seeing for months. One new thing I noticed: Michigan manufacture plates. That means they are testing it on this side of the "pond".

Manufactures do this stuff all the time. I'm actually really impressed that smart has been able to keep the final look of the 453 secret so far. Most new cars are all over the internet by this time before launch. Look at the new Corvette, it's been plastered all over the internet for months. Of course, it didn't help when a test driver slammed one into a canyon wall...:rolleyes:

·
17,384 Posts

Or at least I don't like the longer hood and ugly tailights. A little wider is fine, but I hope they don't go much wider. If I wanted something that looked remotely like a 'yota IQ, that's what I would have bought.
It has a smart front end, a Twingo rear end. The hood is probably like that so it'll fit on the mule correctly.

It's a mule, so rest assured it won't look like that.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,705 Posts
2014 smart fortwo mule spy shots, MI plates - YouTube

More sneak peaks of a honeycomb grill . . .

·
Registered
459 Posts
Take off the camouflage, and you got this vehicle..... Enough ugly mules already. Lets see some finish product before I die.

I agreem with Smark the Mule Pictures show a low roof vehicle like the Scion IQ witht ther 4 lug bolt wheels next to a Toyota Sienna. The Smart has the taller roof and the safety of being higher off the ground.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Just remember, mules use other car's body in this case is a Renault Twingo, the only Smart thing it has is the front that's why is the only part with camouflage.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts