Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help !! I just picked up my car last week and I am on information overload. At first I was just going to Best Buy to hook up my Sirius radio. Now after looking on here, I think I can get one unit that will include:

1. Sirius
2. Radio
3. NAV
4. Blue tooth

Any suggestions? I will have it professionally installed as I would never attempt this. Please let me know make model and price in your recommendations.

Thanks.....and I love my car !!:smartlogo:

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Apologies up front to the guys who are Eclipse fans or have already spent the $$$$ for that brand...I am not impressed with their product line

Eclipse is NOT a unit you want if you might like FM radio, or good quality CD audio IMO

When shopping, look for several specs on the "compare" features and specifications areas of web sites like Crutchfield...

In this case, FM sensitivity and CD Signal to Noise (S/N) ratio

Good FM sections have a sensitivity of 9dBf or LESS.....11dBF to 15dBf are terrible and drop out stations or loose stereo signal and fall back to mono a lot

CD sections need a S/N ratio over 97dB ..... 104dB or higher is a superior unit

The CD S/N ratio determines how much NOISE* is passed into the amp section... a higher ratio means there is less noise presented to your amp and speakers

*Hiss, crackle, and pop

You can hear the difference between 90 Db and 104 Db no matter how bad your ears are

the Eclipse 6620 has some of the worst specifications for units in that price range:

FM 12dBf
CD SN 90dB

(IMO, for the money, most all the Eclipse line sucks in specifications)

Just my 0.02c

In that price range, both the

Pioneer AVIC-F900BT
Kenwood DNX7120

look like better units..... on paper

I am never impressed with built in Nav units...Garmin, Magellan, and Tom Tom have superior units for less money that are usable in any car you own and require NO expensive CDs to update...just plug them into the same computer you are reading this from

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Crutchfield dot com lets you search units

select the price range you are interested in and features you want

I doubt you will find a BUILT in NAV in that price range

BUT you can find a great many head units with SAT, USB, BlueTooth and get a good portable Nav unit all under $500 easy...hell if you shop smart you can get new speakers as well under your $500 budget

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm currently looking into an In-Dash Eclipse AVN6620.
All of the AVN series are excellent units. You will love it, though personally I like the 7000 more because of the time alignment settings, but the 6620 is also very nice. As far as signal to noise ratio it is a mute point with the Smart car because road noise will cancel it out, plus not all companies rate it the same way. Having said all of that if you could find a Pioneer in the same price range then you'd probably be happier with it simply because the 6620 doesn't have a very responsive touchscreen ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Decided on the Kenwood Excelon DDX-8017 (discontinued)

All of the AVN series are excellent units. You will love it, though personally I like the 7000 more because of the time alignment settings, but the 6620 is also very nice. As far as signal to noise ratio it is a mute point with the Smart car because road noise will cancel it out, plus not all companies rate it the same way. Having said all of that if you could find a Pioneer in the same price range then you'd probably be happier with it simply because the 6620 doesn't have a very responsive touchscreen ;)
I've decided instead on the Kenwood Excelon DDX-8017 (discontinued model), refurbished. Reason is, I have a Kenwood KTC-WB100 Weather Band Tuner and none of the newer model Kenwood units will work with it. That's because the KTC-WB100 has been discontinued for about a couple of years now and Kenwood hasn't replaced it due to lack of demand. Since my line of study is meteorology, I want to keep it. I've purchased the KNA-G510 add-on navigation system to work with the DDX-8017 so I'm happy.
I can't help but wonder... with such an active weather pattern (ie: Tornadoes), this Spring, if the weather band tuner will return for automobiles.

-Tom L.

·
Registered
117 Posts
So you decided on an OLD, DISCONTINUED, REFURBISHED UNIT?

How's that better than my singing?

Or a new unit? Get it, NEW CAR NEW UNIT!!!
COMPATIBLE!!!

Heck I have an 8 track, you want it?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Reason is, I have a Kenwood KTC-WB100 Weather Band Tuner and none of the newer model Kenwood units will work with it.
Well yes and no. You could always buy a portable weather unit that plugs into the new head unit, but if this set-up works best for you then go for it :)

I would just double check to make sure it has some sort of a warranty, or at least a good return policy if it doesn't work when you get and install it. Some referbs also have cosmetic flaws so be prepared for that. Best of luck with your new system :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Try this head unit...

OrlandoSmart,

I put in a Pioneer AVIC-D3 with EVERY bell and whistle you can think of!

Go to www.itibitismart.com/home.htm and click on "itibiti bling-bling. You'll see the accessories that were installed, and a link to 75 pictures of the installation.

I'm extremely pleased with everything, but I agree with Fredvon4. I have a handheld Garmin Nuvi and it is VERY simple and intuitive to use. The Pioneer AVIC-D3 has a little learning curve, but now that I'm used to it, I'm enjoying the navi more and more.

Everything else performs flawlessly. You should see the front and rear cameras beaming from the smart's dash. What a HOOT!

PM me, and I'll tell you what I paid.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well yes and no. You could always buy a portable weather unit that plugs into the new head unit, but if this set-up works best for you then go for it :)

I would just double check to make sure it has some sort of a warranty, or at least a good return policy if it doesn't work when you get and install it. Some referbs also have cosmetic flaws so be prepared for that. Best of luck with your new system :)
Thanks,
It should be ok. I got it from Crutchfield and I understand, this unit looks and works like new. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts