Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

First time electric car owner here as of this week. I leased a Black on black Fortwo, base model with the leather seats and LED daytime running lamps.

I got this vehicle as a second car. Living in the Bay Area offers a lot of reason to go electric over ICE. I moved here from Texas. My old friends would fall out of their saddle laughing if they saw me driving one of these.

I'll be honest, the Fortwo was not my first choice (it was Fiat 500e), but since it's a second car and my first electric, I went with the lowest cost option of $139 a month plus tax.

Saving the planet is not something that's high on my list (you see, I'm from Texas) - what matters to me here in CA is the HOV access, better parking at work, and the technical benefits. Driving an ICE short distances is bad for the car, so this purchase was also to give my Acura TL a break from that abuse.

I'm enjoying the electric culture, the early adopters are often the most visionary and interesting people you can meet. Myself, I have a degree in electrical engineering and have always anticipated that electric cars will eventually takeover ICE. The question is when.

I'm finding there is a lot to learn, not just with the technology, but the politics, etiquette, and costs of ownership. This site is very informative and I hope to make contributions.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hello,

First time electric car owner here as of this week. I leased a Black on black Fortwo, base model with the leather seats and LED daytime running lamps.

I got this vehicle as a second car. Living in the Bay Area offers a lot of reason to go electric over ICE. I moved here from Texas. My old friends would fall out of their saddle laughing if they saw me driving one of these.

I'll be honest, the Fortwo was not my first choice (it was Fiat 500e), but since it's a second car and my first electric, I went with the lowest cost option of $139 a month plus tax.

Saving the planet is not something that's high on my list (you see, I'm from Texas) - what matters to me here in CA is the HOV access, better parking at work, and the technical benefits. Driving an ICE short distances is bad for the car, so this purchase was also to give my Acura TL a break from that abuse.

I'm enjoying the electric culture, the early adopters are often the most visionary and interesting people you can meet. Myself, I have a degree in electrical engineering and have always anticipated that electric cars will eventually takeover ICE. The question is when.

I'm finding there is a lot to learn, not just with the technology, but the politics, etiquette, and costs of ownership. This site is very informative and I hope to make contributions.

Welcome and same. The 500e prices when they came out were over $45,000, not anywhere close to their advertised prices and that was very disappointing. The monthly payment would have been over $500 compared to smarts $199... then a few months later they dropped the price to $139 so it was a no brainer, and i previously had a gas smart so the ED was a great upgrade and I have been very satisfied with it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hot Diggity! finally someone who will admit that it's not just about tree hugging. That's not to say that everyone else in this forum is that way. But OMG that's almost always the first thing that gets into a discussion from a non-ED-owner. I'm a utilitarian not an environmentalist. I'm not buying this thing to show the world how "eco-friendly" I am.

Oh and Welcome, local Bay Area Res. :D :nerd:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome! Yes this forum is awesome. I got my Smart for the same reasons: HOV lanes, free charging at work and low cost charging at home during off peak hours (We have solar panels). I even charge for free at the DWP in downtown LA.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Welcome to the Bay Area!!!

I am located in Fremont if you are within the area and wanna get a lunch or coffee and talk cars! You area also more than welcome to use our charger at BMW of Fremont ;D

I currently have the only Brabus Electric Drive in baby blue and as a convertible! Therefore if you see me screaming on the freeway going to San Jose or SJ to Fremont, feel free to honk at me haha!! I honestly went with the ED not only to be ECO Friendly, it just seemed more accurate when looking at pricing numbers. I did get my car super cheap, and help Beshoff Motors in SJ when they need a demo. It was also very practical since I am also a student at SJSU, to park in the garages for free and pay simply a 1$ per hour to charge. 75 miles certainly gets me to and from my locations, and does have its perks!! Also, got the solar panels on my roof as well, and when its been sunny here in CA, its like free charging. On cloudy days and when I charge more than usual, I usually see a 30$ charge on the PGE bill.

Hope to see you on the road!!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hello,

Congratulations on your new ED acquisition:)
Once you get used to this little car, you don't want to go back to a regular ICE car. Believe me I look for reasons to go the stores to show off my ED.:D
Adults and kids say things like "look at the mini car", "wow! that car is electric", "I want one of those", etc.

Be prepared to answer all kind of questions like: How much does it cost? Is it pure electric? Where did you get it from? Does Mercedes Benz sell it? Can you charge it in your house?, etc.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Welcome to the Bay Area!!!

I am located in Fremont if you are within the area and wanna get a lunch or coffee and talk cars! You area also more than welcome to use our charger at BMW of Fremont ;D

I currently have the only Brabus Electric Drive in baby blue and as a convertible
Brabus? do you just have Brabus rims or a complete package that is not offered in the US?

Please post some pictures in another thread not to hijack this one

Congrats Putty..you will find your car will have very minimal problems if any..since this model is now in its third generation after it was improved upon after Tesla's assistance......

Its a great car and a Head turner.....Its not a sleeper anymore since the stickers are on....The others know that its different and are ready...

Have you played with the kick down switch yet?

Post Pictures...be proud of your Ed

·
Registered
210 Posts
Brabus? do you just have Brabus rims or a complete package that is not offered in the US?

Please post some pictures in another thread not to hijack this one

yea i wont hijack this one.... its actually just a regular ED, but im in process of converting over to Brabus, so i threw on the Brabus stickers. im following the euro guide on how theirs is done up... doubt i am going to spend $4000 for the brabus seats, but ill get pretty close to what they have going on. If you are on Instagram, feel free to follow me! Blkdragon88

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings from South San Jose

Hi,

I am also a new owner of a red Smart ForTwo EV convertible and live in South San Jose. It's also a second car and with the solar panels on the roof my costs are quite low. I was primarily looking for an electric convertible and the Smart was the only choice. So far I am very happy and use the free charging at work as well as the car pool lane.

Let me know if you guys plan a Smart ForTwo EV meetup somewhere in the Bay Area.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Let us know if you find a way to get the Brabus power out of the electric motor (60 instead of 55kW peak).
Seen notes in reviews that lead to the following guess/guidance:

. The maximum output of the Smart ED battery pack is around 63KW.

. The motor has a maximum output of 55KW

. The dash heater is around 4KW

. Heated seats and other items (headlights, fan) around 150W each

So, if you ever could get a motor to take 60KW instead of 55KW, you would be very much at the edge of the maximum battery output.

As it is, the motor is maxed out at 55KW for two consecutive minutes, at which point it is said to throttle to 35KW. I've never seen that "throttle" in real life, even as I constantly use the 55KW kickdown capability.

·
Registered
832 Posts
So, if you ever could get a motor to take 60KW instead of 55KW, you would be very much at the edge of the maximum battery output.
And that's exactly what the Brabus version does. So when I saw someone "converting" to Brabus, it was the first thing that came to mind.

BTW, the motor is rated 80kW, so, as you said, it's really the battery limiting power, not the motor. But 63kW sounds low, where you did you see that?

All motor ratings are mechanical output of the motor (i.e. our 55kW in kick-down mode and the 80kW nominal rating of the motor). The electric power drawn from the battery during kickdown is around 70kW according to current and voltage reported by the BMS, without the heater turned on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts