Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. I just bought a used, low mileage 2008 Passion, and it's the funnest car I've ever driven. I look forward to getting to know other "smart drivers" :p out there.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
Hi from way up north in the Loo. There are some good smarties down your way in Memphis...keep an eye out for them on this site.
Welcome and keep the questions coming...I saw one of your questions already on the radio/ipod.
Mick
ps...Stop by Uncle Lou's near Graceland for some sweet and spicy love sauce fried chicken...my favorite.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,091 Posts
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the ride! :)

If you're interested in tracking and sharing your fuel mileage, we can always use a few more smarts on Fuelly.com.

Check out my YouTube smart videos when you get a chance to see some event photos and video, especially the "Two year ownership" and "2011 Orlando" videos.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
:welcome: to the forum, aka The Asylum, where we are all a bit crazy about our smarts and some of are just crazy.

Enjoy your smart and remember that the more you drive him/her the happier he'll be. These little cars love the highways and open road.

BB Benz is in the Memphis area, he has a black Brabus. We saw a red/black smart this weekend in Collierville while we were there checking out the area.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
BB Benz lives in Germantown, and works in Collierville. It would be fun to meet you. Drop me a private message and I will share my phone or email.
Like Jkjahobbs said, welcome to thee asylum. We are cartainly crazy about our smarts.
So Welcome,
Rich
p.s. there is a new MB dealer coming to Collierville, that is owned by the owner of the Jackson Mississippi smart center. They will service smarts whereas the Memphis MB dealer will not.
The two closest dealers are Jackson, MS, and Nashville, TN.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MB Dealer and Thanks!

Thanks for the "welcomes" from everyone!
I am actually live in Hernando, MS but work in downtown Memphis. It's a 44 mi. commute each day, so I love the mpgs. I have seen several smarts in the parking lots where I work...2 the same as mine!
I'm interested in adding the cruise control package to my car. Does anyone know how/where I can get that done? What about cost and the time involved?Will I have to take it to Jackson. MS?
Thanks, all!

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Hi, Gisele88, A lot of dealers won't install non smart accessories. I am not sure about Jackson, MS.

The MDC cruise control is fairly plug and play with no modification to the car's wiring harness. I installed mine myself. It is available from smart Madness, one of the supporting vendors, seen in the red box to the left containing the Supporting Vendor Directory.
The AREA 451 cruise control is often offered installed at the larger more popular smart get togethers usually national in scope, or mid continent.
If I remember correctly the future availability of the Area 451 cruise may be limited. I am sure someone on here can refer you to the supplier of the Area 451 if you should decide to go that way.
One of the benefits of the area 451 is that there is an easy to remove plug that completely bypasses the cruise control should you need to have your car serviced or the software on your car upgraded. The MDC cruise control can be turned off, but is not completely disconnected unless it is physically removed. We know of one instance where the MDC was affected by a software upgrade process that destroyed the Cruise Control. I disconnect mine when I anticipate having the memory flashed (upgraded or reprogrammed).
If you decide to go with the MDC, I would be willing to assist you with that. I do not have the confidence with the AREA 451, as I have not done one of those, and I don't have the pin extractor to remove the pins in the wiring harness. It can be done with a staple as a tool, but I have not done that with a staple, nor are there any other smart alecs in the area.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jwight...thanks so much for the links!
BB Benz, I may take you up on that offer of help if you really mean it. The cruise is costlier than I expected so will have to wait until after Christmas, but I am interested in the MDC as I've read that it has neat features. What's the difference between the ones with and without the LED and why is the one without LED normally more expensive?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts