Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 4 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have rescued a nice car!!
The roof situation is quite common, and is a cosmetic one (so the factory says) mine is also crazed and I have learned to ignore it. You can adjust the front fenders by moving the pin to move the fender in and out located at the inside of the fender. Sitting in the car, open the door and look at the front of the door where the hinges are, from the inside of the door. there are 3 different locations for the pin.

These cars are known to get poor MPG for the first 30,000 miles (roughly where you are at) and then they get better. Plugs are probably not a bad idea. I use the Irradium long life plugs myself as you can go longer without needing to replace them

Headlights are usually either pointing at the ground, or straight up into the sky. they are easily adjusted with an allen wrench on the top of the headlight assembly. I use the Ultrastar lights and have had good results with them.

Brakes, You want to find a set of Ceramic Brake pads. They don't leave that black dust all over the wheels and what little dust there is, cleans off easier.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
https://www.auto123.com/en/news/2010-smart-fortwo-edition-highstyle-review/50228/
mostly a special trim Passion, with fog lamps and special paint, leather seats, etc. Same motor and trans as all the smart models.

As for oil, all U.S> models came with Mobil 1 oil and most just keep using it. Synthetic oil does tend to make the break-in time last longer so usually we don't see higher MPG until after 30K miles (roughly 48,000 KM) and even then it depends on how you drive it. A 3 cyl motor takes a light throttle to get the mpg, a ScangaugeII or similar monitor helps to give you feedback on how much pedal to use.

Denso plugs will do the trick nicely. Just be sure you get the long mileage ones or you will be changing them soon.

P.S. posting pictures or links on here is a real chore.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
If you open the Advanced post (Go Advanced) and select Manage Attachments, scroll down in the window and it will show the maximum file size for each extension. Make sure the picture size is within that size or it won't load. select the Choose file button and locate the file you want to upload from your computer. then press the Upload button. Once it loads, you will see the file name above where the Manage attachments is.

Then you have to select the file and drag it onto the box where you have typed your post.

Or you can open the picture from the uploaded file in a new tab, copy the address and use the Picture Icon above the text box and paste the address in the box that opens.

It will insert the picture where your cursor is located in the message box.

Clear as mud right??

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
As I have said before, these cars don't seem to get good mileage until over 30,000 miles then they start getting better. I get my best MPG with using gas without Methanol and I drive mostly around 60-70 MPH for about 45 miles and then shut it off twice a day. I average about 45 mpg, and the wife takes it up to the cabin (about 250 miles) and gets 50 mpg. On the 3rd smart now and still the same numbers. I originally used my ScangaugeII to help train me on driving for the best MPG, but now just use it for temps and rpms. Give it some time and it should get better.

1 - 4 of 5 Posts