Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I am not sure what $2,000.00 CDN equates to in US dollars, but it sounds to me like you got a very good deal. That is a very rare model in the US. I have only seen one in person. It should clean up very well and be a fine car for years to come. Good luck with your new smartie!!
It's 1497.54 USD. But I will need more parts like brakes and stuff

·
Registered
815 Posts
Hello everyone, this is Richard from Montreal. I recently picked up a 2010 451 from an auction for $2000 CAD. It is a weird edition high style which has a brown exterior and beige leather interior which looks fancy. The car has 54,000km when I got it and it has one previous owner before me. Is this .
For my first tank of 91 octanes I did about 7.3 L/100 km which is around 32-33 MPG, pretty bad for a smart car after reading tons of threads. Any clue how this happens?
Richard check https://www.fueleconomy.gov/
They show 33 city 41hwy 36 combined.
Which happens to match exactly the mileage for both my smarts 08 and my current 09. I realize your in Canada I don't believe that makes a lot of difference mileage wise. No, smarts definitely are not super economy cars for as small and light as they are, especially when compared to the old 90's GEO Metro.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hello everyone, this is Richard from Montreal. I recently picked up a 2010 451 from an auction for $2000 CAD. It is a weird edition high style which has a brown exterior and beige leather interior which looks fancy. The car has 54,000km when I got it and it has one previous owner before me. Is this .
For my first tank of 91 octanes I did about 7.3 L/100 km which is around 32-33 MPG, pretty bad for a smart car after reading tons of threads. Any clue how this happens?
Richard check https://www.fueleconomy.gov/
They show 33 city 41hwy 36 combined.
Which happens to match exactly the mileage for both my smarts 08 and my current 09. I realize your in Canada I don't believe that makes a lot of difference mileage wise. No smarts are not super economy cars for as small and light as they are, especially when compared to the old 90's GEO Metro.
If that's the case then I'm getting way lower MPGs than official. My smart car don't have any city driving.mybdaiky commute is start it up, straight on to highway, 50km later get off the highway and shut off the car. So I should be theoretically gets around 40MPG. The number isn't right yet because 1. Before I bought this car it has been sitting for ages. 2. I don't even know what will happen after tomorrow's huge service which I will post my receipt after I get those done.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Richard, It sounds like you are too hard on your new 2010 451. Hey for starters, it is a used car. I just bought literally a 2012 Fiat 500 Pop the beginning of this week and I have my work cut out for me too. My original 2005 450 is my sweetheart and will always be. I just bought this other car "Fiat 500 Pop Automatic" because I just needed a daily driver with a back seat. I got tired of looking and poking around and probably paid too much for my very high mileage Fiat also.
Well anyhow, if you are in need of any Smart Brand New OEM Parts and Accessories, just touch base with me first because I just bought a small inventory of Parts and Accessories all mostly for a 451 just like yours. I guarantee my pricing will put a big smile back on your face.
And do listen to the folks who just wrote you before I did because what they say about maintaining your Smart properly is true.
Thanks, sykes05 here in the Philadelphia Area of PA, USA.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Congrats on getting a fairly rare car for peanuts! I have a 2009, and have never gotten anything close to 36 MPG, with a Scangauge to help monitor it, and lots of fill ups since '09 under lots of different driving conditions. Okay, maybe I've gotten 36 MPG when driving on I-5 to and from San Diego to San Francisco, but I usually drive pretty fast, so maybe not. :) Good luck trying to get 40 mpg - these cars are more about city parking than fuel economy. This is a topic that has been beaten to death over the years on the forum. Many members report much better fuel economy than I have gotten. As for your panoramic top, mine got pretty bad so I had it replaced. $900 for the top, $300 for the installation. My car only has 36,400 miles on it and goes in for service annually because of the few miles it gets every year. Some might say lack of driving it is why my MPG isn't stellar. Anyway, it still looks new and I love it, especially since installing the same size wheels and tires all around. Lots of info on the forum about that. It improved the handling A LOT, but perhaps results in lower MPGs. Anyway, enjoy!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oy Richard,
Welcome to the club! I'm in Laval so I can definitely relate in terms of driving conditions and how this affects your MPG. I have a 2015 451 and during the winter months, I will get down to 32mpg (7.2l/100) in mixed driving. Seems like the cold is really hard on the little 3 banger and winter tires will play a role as well. Right now, with summer tires on, I'm back to 36/38mpg (6.5-6.1l/100) mixed driving. I also found that it got a bit (and I do mean a bit) better when I installed a drop-in K&N air filter. Bought the car with only 16k KM so I haven't done a plug swap.
If you need work done on the car, there's an independent Mercedes shop (Auto Metz) which does great work and certainly isn't scared of our smart. The prices are reasonable too...
Lucky find on the car too and that's a great price! Hope you enjoy it!!

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
As I have said before, these cars don't seem to get good mileage until over 30,000 miles then they start getting better. I get my best MPG with using gas without Methanol and I drive mostly around 60-70 MPH for about 45 miles and then shut it off twice a day. I average about 45 mpg, and the wife takes it up to the cabin (about 250 miles) and gets 50 mpg. On the 3rd smart now and still the same numbers. I originally used my ScangaugeII to help train me on driving for the best MPG, but now just use it for temps and rpms. Give it some time and it should get better.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts