Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2013, 8K passion. runs beautifully, however when driving faster, like on the highway, I notice I get a sudden/immediate pull to the right once in a while. It's not your normal low tire pressure pull but a quick, immediate jerk right and I notice the steering wheel is sort of loose at that time.

Is that normal? I do suspect that these cars will be tossed by the wind quite a bit but is this the wind or something wrong with the suspension? Should I have it checked out? (I did buy it used, hence the inquiry if maybe it was mishandled by the previous owner and hence a suspension issue)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know to be honest....I thought all Passion's did, no? Either way if it does or does not...what do you suggest I do?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I've got 2 passions, one with power steering, one without. I assure you what you're experiancing is not normal, take it back to the smart center before you get into an accident.

·
Registered
465 Posts
They do tend to follow road ruts and bounce around a bit. They feel kinda loose at speed. Kinda like the way a road bicycle feels when it's really moving. Don't expect rock solid stable feel like a truck. It's stable but moves around. But sudden jerks don't sound right to me. I'd have it checked out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When we bought our preowned Smart with about 45K miles, one of the first things we did was have a wheel alignment done. It made a lot of difference in vehicle tracking, especially at highway speeds.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Best mod for highway driving is to get a set of rear wheels/tires and put them on the front. Makes a huge difference in stability, wind effect, truck effect, etc.

See the "I can rotate my tires club" thread (MODERATOR please supply link).

-Barry-
I second this. Getting 16" wheels all around dramatically improved stability, roadholding and braking in my car. I'm sure the same is true of fitting a pair of stock 15" rear wheels and tires to the front. The stock front tires are like bicycle wheels: great for economy, not so good for turning or stopping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts