Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2009 Smart with 11,800 miles, very clean throughout nearly new in many regards. The previous owner took very good care of the car and apparently did a few mods including having MB badges installed, an extra set of speakers, AR rims, fog lights, rear cargo shelf/cover.

I have driven a few Smarts before and get the use of the clutch system and sort of manual gearbox. A few things i noticed is the slight hesitation on hills (more like a skip), slight shudder when idling at a light and pounding at speed. as long as these don't mean any catastrophic failures pending I am ok with the quirks.

I am thinking of some upgrades - I am curious how they may effect reliability and if they are worth the effort and cost -

1. Cold air intake (Boesche built or suggestions?)

2. Boesche Exhaust w center dual tip

3. Intake scoop (glue on plastic?)

4. ECU/TCM reprogram ?

Care/Maintenance -

I am running the Min 91/93 Octane gas and have taken to putting in additives at fill up (so far only three tanks)

I cannot seem to tell if they performed the 10,000 mile service, should i visit my local Smartdealer (it does look like they changed the oil at 10,000) for service?

Thanks in advance for any advice/recommendations that can be offered.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Welcome to SCOA! One suggestion for an exhaust is a Carlsson exhaust and rear valance. There is a very limited supply left and when they are gone they are gone. The only two places that I know have them are smartmadness.com and 305tires.com. If you visit 305tires.com where it says tire size just type smart and hit enter. You would need both the rear skirt and the sport rear silencer (exhaust). Compare prices on the sites but that's my suggestion!

p.s. Oil is cheep. The car should be on its 6-7 year 60K service but it only has 11K miles on it. If the car is 6 years old even sitting with no miles on it she should be on her 6th oil change(one a year). Oil breaks down over time and weather doesn't help it any. If you see that the oil was changed at 10K miles and that was something like two months ago, you are ok. I change my oil every 6 months or 5 thousand miles. Your car could have been serviced at 10k but how long ago was that? Better safe than sorry :) These cars have little motors that have a hard life remember. IMO 10k miles between oil changes on these little engines is to long.

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
If you are using the correct oil/filter, then you have no way of knowing that your oil needs to be changed sooner than the maintenance reminder tells you unless you do an oil analysis. An oil analysis will cost you under $20 and will save money and resources if you can go farther than your seat of the pants determination. There have in fact been studies showing that changing the oil too soon and not allowing the additives in the oil to degrade some is not helpful to the engine at all and could in fact be detrimental. One of my Mercedes resets its maintenance reminder to 10,000 miles or two years. I was hesitant to go that long, but a few oil analyses convinced me that the engineers at Mercedes know more than I do about when the oil needs changed. The oil analysis showed that the oil could go much longer.

I hope to one day join you as a Smart owner - just trying to work out the logistics of it now.

Welcome.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice and welcome ! I was told by the dealer I purchased from they had changed the oil at around 11,200 miles. I checked carfax and saw a service call at Smart of Scarborough ME. I like to change my oil at 5000 even on extended service cycle vehicles. This is my 68th Mercedes product (started with a beat 1959 220s and have had many MB Unimogs - I import them occasionally for resale etc ) I figured one that I have never owned is the baby benz types - I have had the other end of the scale and know the complexity that a MB product (no matter how branded) can bring.

Oil is often a problem with Mercedes diesels, the larger OM352/366 motors hate Mobil1 (often burning it at the rate of a liter per 100 miles) . I am a big fan of Amsoil products, is anyone running Amsoil in the Smart?

I am still up in the air regarding the ECU/TCM update/reprogram. I love the idea of being able to pass and pull hills a little better without too much taxation on the drive train. But I plan to put on some miles on this car and want a level of reliability.

I love the idea that these cars are relatively cheap to maintain and modify. I am very eager to get the performance mods going, and I cannot wait to get rid of the radio !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts