Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9,063 Posts
...OMG...Donnyonee posted that??...the same guy who cut a hole on the side of the car and put a radiator fan to keep the engine bay cool???..that Donnyonee????....I'll pass...

...I know I'm one of the few guys here that shift 1-2 at 4.8k-5k....2-3 is another story....above red line ....usually 6.2-6.5k and never got noisy or rough shifting...

Jetfuel...lots of fun....

·
Registered
2008 Smart ForTwo Coupe
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
You need to do and remember to do again when needed: throttle body reset.
Your hard accelerating has caused the car to change it's shifting and throttle points. Resetting it will calm it down, no more hard "bang". Give it a try:

1. Insert key and just turn it to position 1 so the dashboard lights up but don't start the engine.
  2. Press and hold the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor (including kickdown).
  3. Continue holding the pedal down for a full 5 seconds and turn the key back to 0 (off).
  4. Now release the accelerator pedal.
  5. Wait a minute or so (I let all the dash lights go out and then some) before starting your car.
  6. It should now be able to go gently into reverse or drive and do this at a quiet idle (and no bang!)

I used to do this all the time on my 2008 451, after driving in aggressive commuter traffic. Sometimes I got too impatient with the procedure and didn't wait long enough before restarting. So I'd have to try again. But I always got it to work. Others here claim it never worked for them. I no longer have the car, so I'm working from how I remember doing it.
It went to normal in the morning. What I have experienced during my two or three weeks with this car, is that if you drive the hell out of it, you should drive it normally for at least 2-3 minutes before stopping to avoid harsh gear changes when parking it. I drive it in manual mode most of the time and helps in every occasion. One more thing - when starting driving, as soon as I make 2 or 3 gearshifts with accelerator pressed hard, the following gear changes become considerably faster, so that is very cool thing too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, and I've seen those also but none of them seem to be backed up by any factual data from smart. The M-B link contains this sentence: "This procedure applies to all Mercedes-Benz that come with the 5-speed 722.6 and 7 -speed 722.9." Those are true automatic transmissions, as opposed to our 451 5-speed automated manual transmissions. IMHO this reset procedure is an urban legend but if it makes people feel better, have at it. YMMV, of course. :)
I just bought a 2013 Cabriolet and I had a problem with low-speed driving, parking lot, etc. I applied the fix and everything is great now. Smooth takeoff and nice easy low-speed driving. It worked for me.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts