Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I purchased a 2017 Smart Fortwo from carvana (I’ve wanted one for a long time and no dealers close). It was advertised as a panoramic roof, and the roof is a hardtop fabric. It’s not detachable, or convertible.
i love driving the car, I love everything about it. Low mileage (1500), handles well, great on the highway. I am just unsure about this top. How is it maintained? Could it be replaced with a fiberglass piece? I can always get a different car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The non-cabrio (panoramic) Smart roofs all have had issues.

The 450 (1998-2007) had a glass roof, not layered like a windshield.
Debris would hit the front curvature at highway speed and the roof would explode...
The 2006 G&K 450 I have has a plastic? covering on the front curvature, probably added to be imported to the USA.
Well that front plastic covering has scratches in it now, but I have an intact roof lol.

The 451 (2008-2015) panoramic roof changed to Lexan.
No more exploding glass roofs but over time it would craze, and the crazing is internal.
The time period is somewhere between 5-10 years.

The 453 (2016-2019) panoramic roof is also Lexan.
I'm hoping they learned something on the 451 roofs and used a different Lexan?...
Not enough time yet on the 2016s for owners to report yet another panoramic roof problem.

The hardtop fabric you have may be a blessing in disguise when compared to the lexan 453 roof - again, only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I have that roof on my 2016 453 Passion coupe. The panoramic roof was on my 2013 Passion. I may be a bit different than some others but I prefer the covered roof. I found that panoramic roof let bright sunshine and Summer heat in when the shade was opened and the shade offered little insulation value Summer or Winter. No special care needed for the covered roof.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts