Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am a new owner of 2008 passion and want to put cruise control on but I have talked with people at Aristocrat and they won't do the install and suggested I post on here to find someone that could recommend which unit to get and install.
I really want it done right and don't want to mess the car up, any help from owners I would love to hear feedback. I know this has been covered before but I couldn't find info for KC. I live in the Northland but can travel all over the metro if needed.
Thanks

· Premium Member
695 Posts
Do you have a Cruise control?

If so, which type ... MDC or 451?

The MDC comes with all the parts, and is a lot easier without any wiring work ... really plug and play. I bought 7 units and the first one took 1 1/2 hours, and the last one less than 45 min. The instructions are very good.

The results are GREAT! I've driven all over; trips to FL, NJ and a couple to MN ... makes a big difference.

Cheers, Bob
IMHO, the Power Boost is a waste. But then, I drive for economy ... not to race the SUVs.

· Premium Member
11,314 Posts
Smart Madness (MDC) and Smartie Parts (Area451) both have outstanding customer service as well as tons of experience in installing cruises and other items. Both cruises are not that hard to install yourself. Prices are comparable (within 10 bucks of each other)

I know the KC group are pretty active and no doubt someone close by could help you out.

· Registered
269 Posts
Hi I am a new owner of 2008 passion and want to put cruise control on but I have talked with people at Aristocrat and they won't do the install and suggested I post on here to find someone that could recommend which unit to get and install.
I really want it done right and don't want to mess the car up, any help from owners I would love to hear feedback. I know this has been covered before but I couldn't find info for KC. I live in the Northland but can travel all over the metro if needed.
Thanks
There's a cruise in downtown parkville tonight. I plan on being there. I have a black Brabus with a small trailer. I put the MDC cruise on my car and really like it. There is a chance I'll be in a white ssr. Either way look me up if you can make it. I.ll bring the paper work on the cruise and you can look it over. Jerry

· Registered
405 Posts
There's a cruise in downtown parkville tonight. I plan on being there. I have a black Brabus with a small trailer. I put the MDC cruise on my car and really like it. There is a chance I'll be in a white ssr. Either way look me up if you can make it. I.ll bring the paper work on the cruise and you can look it over. Jerry
First off let me welcome you and I hope that you enjoy your smart. I recommend talking to Jerry "Prison city smart" he has become our local expert and has installed a few on the MO-KAN members cars.

Thanks,
Andy "Sr Swatch"
MO-KAN smart car club

· Registered
1,751 Posts
I think the 451 is great, took 16 minutes to install and have had no problems. I use it a lot!:)
We are definitely not worthy. I don't think even smartieparts can do this. What's your secret? I've done 3 installs so far and none has been less than an hour. OK, admittedly, I'm an old klutz with failing eyesight and a non-contortionist body, but still.

Post a video so we can see how this is done.

Regards,

Dan

· Premium Member
11,314 Posts
the only contortions needed on an Area451 is running the on-off switch wire from the stalk to the back of the car. All the wiring is done in the right rear compartment. The failing eyesight could be a problem..

· Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,194 Posts
We are definitely not worthy. I don't think even smartieparts can do this. What's your secret? I've done 3 installs so far and none has been less than an hour.
16 minute area451 install by tgobie50 is incredible.

When Steven (smartieparts) was on his U.S. Install Tour last summer he did an install in Charlotte in 12-13 minutes.

Obviously, not only is Steven a great guy and the area451 inventor, he is young and knows the smart intimately making the install poetry in motion.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi thanks everyone for posting sorry I was having logging in problems so wasn 't able to log in until tonight. Sounds like MDC might be the way to go. Has anyone heard of someone retrofitting the stock 2011 or 12 unit? I really like how they have the buttons on the steering wheel like most other cars do. Just curious.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.