Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought it at 28,xxx miles. Just completed the 30,000 mile maintenance and it looks like my secondary air injection pump motor bearings are going out: loud whine / grinding / whoosing sound coming from the right rear wheel well during the first 30 seconds of a cold start. I get the P0410 engine check code as well :(

As a short term remedy I removed the 50 amp fuse for the pump found in the battery compartment under the passenger floor mat. I highly reccomend this amelioration in the short term as the secondary air pump motor starting to fail will put a strain on the relay, the electrical system and will eventually cause the fuse to blow anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why, thank you! It's not a big deal I just wish I could find the part number for this. I got a quote for this part from my dealer at somewhere around $180.00, which is a lot for something that's essentially just a fan in a special shroud that runs once a day or so for 30 seconds.

I can find air pumps for other cars that look very similar but cost around half as much. Makes me want to try and adapt one of these for this replacement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts